Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 11:10 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Some shame is a good thing. Not everything is OK. It is not OK to be fat. It is not OK to flunk out of school.
How about we just mind our business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 11:36 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
No. I'm sure at some point in my life I bullied someone in some way, because nobody is perfect. I'm talking about things that people have said. I just find it disturbing how much someone can hate a child for something that really isn't THAT big a deal compared to murder or something. But like I said, maybe i'm just weird for not being blood thirsty.
Who here would say it compares to murder?

Old 04-11-2015, 06:48 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,674,044 times
Bullying needs to begin being addressed properly, so it can stop. I realize, an inclination to bully others, most likely originates from particular homes, where it should cease being taught. Unfortunately, there is not much control over what goes on at home, but at school, if there was a way of setting examples, beginning early on, maybe kids could be influenced to understand how and why this is wrong.

There could be situations, examples given, interacting so that kids can all experience what it feels like, having discussions on why this happens and showing how a bully is not something anyone should choose to be - how having compassion and understanding for others is the way to live life. There should be standards, rules and real consequences. It should be known that if a child is causing trouble for others, that it would reflect upon the parent, in order to create an agreement between parents and school, to keep this from happening. (I realize, there could be a conflict with how some parents want their kids to think, yet this is basic..or should be). It has to stop being said, "Oh, boys will be boys" or "It's out of our hands", etc.

When is physically beating down the bully going to stop being the answer, when the problem is psychological in nature? If Grandpa or uncle Joe is not going to tell kids how to behave, then, maybe beginning with Kindergarten, kids could begin learning to interact properly with all, and the kids can go home and tell the relatives what is right! (I know.. I am dreaming.. because there are too many grownups who are intolerant, etc., who set improper examples and this is why I believe this continues).

Wouldn't it be better to begin nipping the problem in the bud psychologically, rather than having it become what is proposed? So, if a child doesn't learn this in grade school, they would face some appropriate consequences for that age. If still acting up in High School, they could be expelled and if not getting it straight later on, ends up locked up as an adult. (As I say this, when it comes to Rape alone, the threat of prison has not exactly dissuaded that from occurring and seems there should be more threatening consequences. So, would being locked up prevent Bullying?) As it is, prisons are overcrowded and so much could be avoided, which I feel begins with emotional and sociological development, proper parenting, direction - which again, is complicated, because there is no controlling who becomes a parent. But how can it otherwise begin?

Old 04-11-2015, 07:13 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Quote:
I'm very much against bullying being a victim of it myself, but honestly, nobody is perfect. I think nearly everybody has been the bully at some point in some way. Maybe not physically, but even not sticking up for anyone when they ought have to.

I dislike the anti-bullying movement because it's faddish and promotes retribution and shaming of children who are bullies. While a small minority of bully children grow up to be sociopaths and criminals, the vast majority of them turn out to merely be losers or even grow up into mature and caring people. I wouldn't be surprised if anti-bullying groups are funded by the prison industry as a way to obtain slaves from another demographic.
Bullies tend to hit their victims on both a mental and physical level. Sometimes it's just one or the other. But in all cases, they are trying to make their victims feel fear, shame, helplessness, rejection, isolation, depression, etc. If somebody manages to give a bully a small taste of their own medicine, typically they absolutely hate it. Sometimes they even realize how wrong they were and change.

Watch this video and tell me that the guy doesn't deserve everything he gets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8XYteVus2U

Old 04-11-2015, 08:44 AM

1,134 posts, read 1,124,538 times
I allowed a co-worker then turned boss to bully me and I went for counseling on how to cope. I had to stay at that job.

I was 52 and my bully boss was 33. I was dumb enough to think it was office politics. (It actually was because Daddy was the head of the Union) and nobody would go up against her because his power. She would pick different targets in the office and would always have 1 henchwoman at her side. I didn't realize it was workplace bullying until after I quit and did research.

She was obviously a Mean Girl (bully) growing up and now she's a sheep in wolves clothing. Bullies just go from the playground to the workplace.

I don't think they should be put in jail. I do think they should be put in the same situation with their victim and if that victim chooses to knock out their teeth if it was emotional bullying, so be it.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:02 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,301,369 times
Quote:
That's fallacious, I'm not making an extraordinary claim; what do you expect me to do, cite a poll? Open any thread about a child bully and you will find grown-a** people saying sadistic and disgusting things about killing and harming them.
YOU are the one making the assertion/blanket statement. It is incumbent upon you to support it.

Quote:
The fact people feel a child deserves to be brutalized by adults for childhood BS proves to me that people are hypocrites and mean spirited.
The fact that you think it is okay for bullies to drive a 12 year old to suicide is far beyond mean spirited, it is disturbing.

Quote:
And no, people often accuse me of hyperbole but this is a real idea.
Please show me in the law where they are sending 12 year olds (or even 16 year olds) to adult jail.

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sectio...1&Session=2014

Old 04-12-2015, 12:43 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,674,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam1957 View Post
Bullies just go from the playground to the workplace.
Ah, yes...a bully being in the same place where you need to be each day... so much fun...

Old 04-12-2015, 01:06 AM

19,840 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
I'm just saying they should be treated with a bit of compassion because of their immaturity, not treated like hardened sociopaths, that's all. They should be punished, but with suspension and expulsion, not like an adult would be. There was a viral video of a bully being beat down by his victim and not only were people congratulating the victim (Something I could sort of get behind) there were adults threatening the child bully with DEATH. I find that far more disturbing than the actions of some punk kid. This kid is 12 for God's sake! I don't put children on a pedestal or anything but at that age bullying happens. Teenagers are more impulsive and less empathetic than mature adults so it's not fair to treat them the same way and put them in jail so they can be abused by adults. This country has gotten ridiculously blood thirsty.
Who is calling for 12 year olds to be put in jail?

Old 04-12-2015, 02:39 AM

7,502 posts, read 5,752,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Oh the horror that children might experience some shame over bullying someone.

Yes Im sure that the anti-bullying campaigns are somehow related to slaves from a demographic.
No kidding, grow a set and standup for yourself. Life will kick you in the ass so get used to it. After all, you can't lay around bitching about being put down the man, not working, collecting cash assistance and food stamps all your life! Wait, yes you can. It's called being liberal. Sorry and carry on with the whining since the kids that have a set of nuts will work hard and take care of you.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:03 AM

1,134 posts, read 1,124,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Ah, yes...a bully being in the same place where you need to be each day... so much fun...
I can't go into details because of crossposting, but I still am trying to get over it and it's almost 4 years. It's gonna take a while to get rid of 11 years of emotional abuse, but I'll do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies