Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 07:54 AM

428 posts, read 344,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
A holocaust? In 2015, Black murder rates are actually lower than they were in 1940.

I wonder to what extent that is caused by higher incarceration rates.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:58 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Maude View Post
Another factor is improved emergency medicine. If the EMTs stop the victim from bleeding to death then it isn't murder.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Another factor is improved emergency medicine. If the EMTs stop the victim from bleeding to death then it isn't murder.
Super good point, and something I'd forgotten.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:00 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
It could also be that those who have chance to get away from the hood often do. Those who can get a good education, and get the means, often leave.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Maude View Post
Not much in my opinion. Incarceration rates started rising in the 60s, alongside the murder rate. Murder rates peaked in the 80s.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:05 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,770,776 times
If black men don't like their perception, maybe they shouldn't riot in Baltimore.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
If black men don't like their perception, maybe they shouldn't riot in Baltimore.
Well, I would expect a typical response like that. I'm Black, male, and I'm not rioting in Baltimore. The majority of Black men in Baltimore were not rioting. The large majority of Black men aren't involved in that. What do you have to say to those persons? The Black men who don't like how they are perceived are often the men who aren't part of that violent behavior. They are often the ones who are decent Black men. You don't tell someone "if you don't like how you are treated, then do this,that and the other" if said individual is already doing the things you are suggesting he/she do.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:30 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
Quote:
if said individual is already doing the things you are suggesting he/she do.
you are being caught in the "one rotten apple ruins the barrel deal" but government, society, programs do not deal with individuals, they deal with groups, and yes you are being screwed, but society was talking about groups, so if black men wants to be seen different, it has to be as a group. so you as an individual are doing good, now just get the other 75% to behave. The black man track history is what hurting those that follow the law and behave.

didn't someone say , its takes a community to raise a child.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:57 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Well, I would expect a typical response like that. I'm Black, male, and I'm not rioting in Baltimore. The majority of Black men in Baltimore were not rioting. The large majority of Black men aren't involved in that. What do you have to say to those persons? The Black men who don't like how they are perceived are often the men who aren't part of that violent behavior. They are often the ones who are decent Black men. You don't tell someone "if you don't like how you are treated, then do this,that and the other" if said individual is already doing the things you are suggesting he/she do.
Very good point. Very understandable. Though the topic here confuses me, as I have no , inmate "fear" of any, particular , skin tone in humans, I suppose it must be an issue. At any rate, as you say, preaching to the choir does little good, and berating them for already doing what you're saying needs done will probably tick them off.

Sounds like counterproductivness in action.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Not much in my opinion. Incarceration rates started rising in the 60s, alongside the murder rate. Murder rates peaked in the 80s.
It's a subtle problem, though. Cause and effect aren't obvious. A more specific question is asking whether jailing young men from crime-prone populations for things like drug charges is driving down murder rates by getting them off of the streets for an extended period (or until they get old and tired).

I can't agree on the incarceration rates rising in the 1960's, though.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies