Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2015, 09:14 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Ugh... if it is valid, why are you saying the definition doesn't count?
I didn't say it doesn't count. I said it's not the only definition, and even isn't the most authoritative one.
Quote:
(Oh, and plenty of people call the Merriam-Webster dictionary the most authoritative, and furthermore, it is suppose to be a greater authority on American English, where as the Oxford is suppose to be a greater authority on European English. I have looked this up plenty of times.)
Princeton, an American university, disagrees with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
To you, every single person is a bigot
That's not what I said, and I even gave examples:
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If you don't care that someone is gay, you're not a bigot. If a gay couple doesn't care that a privately or closely held business declines to provide goods/services for a same sex wedding because it violates their religious beliefs, they're not bigots, either. See how easy that is?

Old 04-24-2015, 09:35 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,501,513 times
Quote:
I didn't say it doesn't count. I said it's not the only definition, and even isn't the most authoritative one.
Princeton, an American university, disagrees with you.
Because they are the end-all authority on dictionaries.

Plenty of people say Websters is more authoritative.... which puts them on even ground. Duh.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
That's not what I said, and I even gave examples:
Show me the definition that says you are a bigot if you "care" that someone discriminated against you in the market place, this should be fun. Now you are just making crap up.

None of the definitions say anything about caring.

You said that if anyone, is intolerant of any group or idea, for any reason, they are a bigot. Intolerance means you simply do not accept or allow something. If you do not allow gays into your business, or refuse to accept the idea of their marriage, you are intolerant towards doing business with them and intolerant of their beliefs on marriage. This makes you a bigot by your definition, because, as you said, intolerance, for any reason, is bigotry.

Again, you think people who don't accept the KKK belief structure are bigots, because they are intolerant towards a belief system.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Plenty of people say Websters is more authoritative....
"Plenty of people"

Old 04-24-2015, 09:56 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandice1000 View Post
I will fess up and say that I am a bigot; I don't like a lot of types of people to begin with. Why is society so offended that I despise someone for who they are or who they identify as? I hate religion and religious people overall, for example. Why does society have a problem with that? If I say that religious people are mentally ill and perverted why do so many people think that this is evil? I don't hold respect for a lot of groups of people at all and i'm brave to admit that i'm a bit of a racist as well. If someone wants to follow xtianity/islam/judaism/buddism then fine, but don't push your sick religion onto me or anyoNE else, and keep you and your piggish kind away from me. How come society thinks i'm bad for simply not liking a certain kind of person especially given that some stereotypes are true?
You have the right to believe whatever and hate whoever you like; the rest of society has a right to hate you for it. Just don't act on it to anyone's harm or you'll be killed or jailed.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Show me the definition that says you are a bigot if you "care" that someone discriminated against you in the market place, this should be fun. Now you are just making crap up.
It's pretty simple. Not sure why you can't grasp the concept.

Again...
Quote:
If you don't care that someone is gay, you're not a bigot. If a gay couple doesn't care that a privately or closely held business declines to provide goods/services for a same sex wedding because it violates their religious beliefs, they're not bigots, either. See how easy that is?
In the first case, business owners who decline to provide goods/services for same sex weddings aren't stopping gay couples from having their same sex weddings. In the second case, gay couples aren't stopping business owners from exercising their First Amendment right to the Free Exercise of their religion.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
It's pretty simple. Not sure why you can't grasp the concept.

Again...

In the first case, business owners who decline to provide goods/services for same sex weddings aren't stopping gay couples from having their same sex weddings. In the second case, gay couples aren't stopping business owners from exercising their First Amendment right to the Free Exercise of their religion.
Intolerance is not stopping gay weddings or forcing people to serve people they don't want to. It is not allowing or being accepting of other people or ideas.

If you don't accept the validity of a gay marriage, because the people involved in it are gay, you are being intolerant, by the definition. And, by your logic of any intolerance = bigotry, that would make anyone who doesn't accept a gay marriage a bigot. Period.

You said if a gay person "cares" that you decline to business with them, that they are a bigot... which is a ridiculous conclusion to come to.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Intolerance is not stopping gay weddings or forcing people to serve people they don't want to. It is not allowing or being accepting of other people or ideas.
None of the business owners who declined to provide goods/services for same sex weddings prevented gay people from dining or purchasing goods in their restaurants/stores. They were accepting the people, they were just declining to play a participatory role in an event prohibited by their religion, as is their First Amendment right.

To recap: they accepted gay people, but declined to themselves participate in an act that violated their own religion. That's not bigotry.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
None of the business owners who declined to provide goods/services for same sex weddings prevented gay people from dining or purchasing goods in their restaurants/stores. They were accepting the people, they were just declining to play a participatory role in an event prohibited by their religion, as is their First Amendment right.

To recap: they accepted gay people, but declined to themselves participate in an act that violated their own religion. That's not bigotry.
That is not the example I was talking about. I gave the example of someone who refuses to accept the validity of their marriage, because they are gay. Try again.

Also, if they don't accept the gay marriage as valid, then they are intolerant to the ideas/beliefs of gay people... and YOU said earlier that if anybody is intolerant of another group or idea, for any reason, they are a bigot. YOU said that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies