Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 11:32 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,249,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
The owners displayed religious portraits and crosses on the walls for decorations. It is obvious the owners are proud Christians.
Someone from the media set this up. They did not ask for a catered wedding. They simply asked a hypothetical question regarding a gay wedding.
The left wing media blew this story up, and made the pizza restaurant out to be homophobic villains.
No doubt the person asking the hypothetical knew the answer before asking because of the Christian pictures on the walls.
This was an anti Christian set up.
Did you not hear what the girls old man said to the reporter?

Old 04-10-2015, 11:43 AM

250 posts, read 358,700 times
As a gay man...I really don't have a problem with a business refusing to cater a gay wedding if they are morally opposed to it...as long as that means that I am also allowed to refuse to provide services to a religious convention that I am morally opposed to.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:48 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I often agree with you as you've had some good posts, but ---

Doesn't this amount to silencing someone? Granted, sometimes it's wise to remain silent. But the general overwhelming trend from the left and from gays is to try to silence the rest for the wrong reasons...

OK, people of faith and conservatives and all who hold opinions differing from those of the left:

"Don't speak, it'll just create a huge liberal flap and they'll make life difficult for you."

And we have liberals and gays doing the happy dance.

Got it.
Well, think about it. We all know the media has an agenda. Different stations may have different agendas, but they ALL have one.

So you're a business owner being questioned by a reporter. You know, or should know, that any answer you give is going to **** someone off and possibly make you a target.

It isn't a question of trying to silence them. It's a question of them having enough common sense to put the business first and protect their livelihood.

If a reporter asked me questions about my employer or questions about controversial issues to which the answers might be broadcast on local/national media or in print, my response would be a polite "No comment."

Old 04-10-2015, 11:51 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Yes, I absolutely am. I have no horse in the gay marriage debate. I am a happily married heterosexual man, so it will not affect me in any way. Yet I am a strong proponent of it. Why? Because every person deserves to be treated equal. There are no 2nd class citizens in this country.

Regardless, SCOTUS has already agreed to take up the question, and they've all but issued a press release declaring what their decision will be. (Hint: If there was even the slightest question how they were going to rule, they would have issued the requested Stay, and they did not do so.)

So all this online debate, while I admit I enjoy it, amounts to nothing more than mental masturbation. The decision is made, it just hasn't been issued yet.

And yes, you being opposed to civil (not religious) same sex marriage makes you a bigot, make no doubt about it. Now, you have the absolute right to be a bigot, but please own it when you are.
so in other words, just because i dont believe in gay marriage, i am a bigot against gays? despite the fact that i dont care if they choose that lifestyle or not? as i said before, i have had many gay friends, and i will have many in the future as well. its their choice not mine. i just dont believe in gay marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I have never discriminated against a Christian (though they have certainly discriminated against me due to my faith) and here you are lambasting me. See how that works. I have no problem with Christians - I have a problem with people who use their faith to redirect their prejudice. Like I said, the Christian faith and lifestyle is contradictory to what the Torah teaches me. But the Torah teaches ME - not a Christian - and therefore I don't hold them to my standards. Don't like gay marriage? Don't have one. Simple as that.

FACT: They said they would hypothetically discriminate. That's good enough for me.
so i guess being a jewish person, you have given up on the tenets of judaism? rejected the writings in the old testament(aka the torah)? remember that judaism and christianity are two sides of the same coin, and were considered the same religion until 66ad. the only real difrerence is that you dont accept the writings on the new testament, nor do you accept jesus as the son of god, despite the prophecies in the old testament regarding his coming.

i have no problems with judaism, in fact i find most jews, along with most muslims, to be fine people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Not "FACT". The owner went there and volunteered that tidbit, it was not a hypothetical posed by the reporter.

"We definitely agree with the bill,"
"If a gay couple came in and wanted us to provide pizzas for their wedding, we would have to say no, we are a Christian establishment."
"That’s a lifestyle that you choose, I choose to be heterosexual, they choose to be homosexual—why should I be beat over the head because they choose that lifestyle?"
it was a hypothetical question posed by the reporter looking for a story, and she got one that she could blow up. the owners were asked iabout the bill and about catering a gay wedding, and the answered honestly. but it was in fact a hypothetical question, and it is a fact that they had never discriminated against ANYONE who frequented their establishment.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:55 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,083,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
What a way to raise $$$$$.......may have been a brilliant setup.

Does sound strange.....who will be next Christian dog groomers.
Read this article and see what plans they have for some of the money: Memories Pizza Owners Announce What They're Doing With The $842,387 - The New Civil Rights Movement

Also, it was the people's choice what they wanted to do with the money they work for and let's face the reality, what really bothers people that are bothered by this is that it was a show of support for religious freedom in the US.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:45 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,080,753 times
Quote:
Honesty: "We have never discriminated." End of story and the pizza place would still be in obscurity.

Any time any one says that they WOULD discriminate based on inherent characteristics, no matter what the reason, it is just as bad as discriminating itself. It's premeditated discrimination. I'm not OK with that. Why are you?

Because it reeks of "thought police" for one.
And I'm not ok with using threats and intimidation against someone because they think differently than I do.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:48 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,080,753 times
Quote:
Honesty: "We have never discriminated." End of story and the pizza place would still be in obscurity.

Any time any one says that they WOULD discriminate based on inherent characteristics, no matter what the reason, it is just as bad as discriminating itself. It's premeditated discrimination. I'm not OK with that. Why are you?

Because it reeks of "thought police" for one.
And I'm not ok with using threats and intimidation against someone because they think differently than I do.

When you demand that others use your moral code as the only legitimate rule of thumb, don't be surprised when others demand that you use theirs.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:53 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,943,762 times
I am tired of hetrosexuals and obsessive religious fanatics forcing their lifestyle on me. Everywhere you turn there is a church. All we hear on the news is the hate wars between religions.

All these so called christians can focus on is their hate of gays and what women do with their body. Why is who someone else loves such a big deal to you? How would you feel if people attacked you or refused service to you for simply loving someone?

It is time for christians and muslimn to wake up. You are following dogma purportedly from nomads wandering in the desert 2,000+ years ago. Don't you think maybe it is time to let mankind progress and humanity evolve.

As for the biggoted pizza place. That is a travesty. Those people are not christian. They are not following one tenant of christianity. Unless they redonate all that money they are nothing but opportunists in my mind.

OK, flame away.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:06 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,637,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Are you saying the were conspiring with the reporter that asked the hypothetical question?
No..

but I think they knew answering that question the question that way would lead to a huge backlash and a nice gofundme campaign.

Is it really that hard to say no comment or "we don't cater"

All you have to do is stand for your beliefs knowing the wacko super libs will scream in horror and the "christians" will come to your defense by buying your product or giving you money.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:07 PM

950 posts, read 923,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I am tired of hetrosexuals and obsessive religious fanatics forcing their lifestyle on me. Everywhere you turn there is a church. All we hear on the news is the hate wars between religions.

All these so called christians can focus on is their hate of gays and what women do with their body. Why is who someone else loves such a big deal to you? How would you feel if people attacked you or refused service to you for simply loving someone?

It is time for christians and muslimn to wake up. You are following dogma purportedly from nomads wandering in the desert 2,000+ years ago. Don't you think maybe it is time to let mankind progress and humanity evolve.

As for the biggoted pizza place. That is a travesty. Those people are not christian. They are not following one tenant of christianity. Unless they redonate all that money they are nothing but opportunists in my mind.

OK, flame away.

..........." HATE OF GAYS".........

Straight from the manual printed in 1989 on how to advance the gay agenda.
Marshal Kirk and Hunter Madsen listed............." demonize Christian churches"....... along with the mentioning of the words "hate"........." homophobic"..........bigot".... over and over.

Marshal and Hunter would be proud of you, jamies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.