Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 12:20 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,846,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
You have it backwards. We don't have a "government controlled media", we have a "media controlled government". The MSM routinely manipulates stories to shape public opinion. They routinely favor one politician over another or one party over another, and manipulate their stories to favor or defame one side. Heck, Obama is nothing but a media creation. Until the MSM decided that he was a "story" and made a rock star out of him, he wasn't even a serious primary candidate. Freshman senator with no executive experience and no signature legislation wouldn't otherwise been considered.

The government has been putting in place leftist policies espoused by the liberal MSM for years-don't expect to see news reports that show the results of those policies.
I always find it so hilarious how the right wing extremists ALWAYS accuse the media of being "liberal",yet we had Republican administrations for how many years in the last 4 decades,and whose sorry asses was that "liberal" media covering up for then? They sure in heck weren't
LIBERALS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Not many that are homeowners. It takes a long time (at least in NY) to go from not paying your mortgage to losing your home. And losing your home doesn't exactly mean being homeless unless renters are homeless.
In most cases foreclosure proceedings are started within 4 months of missed payments,and also most landlords now require a credit report before they will rent to you,so if one loses their home,who is going to rent to them?

If you lose your job..... is your unemployment high enough to pay your mortgage??

Old 04-11-2015, 12:40 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
But they also did a documentary on the living conditions of immigrants in UK coming from eastern Europe and involved female sex slaves .Lots of terrible things in this world .But to tell you the truth I'd rather live in a tent than homeless center in many urban areas which have also be subject of documentaries. Most in one said the problem they left was the homeless themselves as many were street thugs ; on drugs ;drunks or had mental problems.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
But they also did a documentary on the living conditions of immigrants in UK coming from eastern Europe and involved female sex slaves .Lots of terrible things in this world .But to tell you the truth I'd rather live in a tent than homeless center in many urban areas which have also be subject of documentaries. Most in one said the problem they left was the homeless themselves as many were street thugs ; on drugs ;drunks or had mental problems.
I'm sure that's true in "some" cases,but no one knows how many percentage-wise[haven't heard of any studies done to find out],plus there are many who hate and blame the victims!

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 04-11-2015 at 01:58 AM..

Old 04-11-2015, 01:19 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
How many Americans are only a couple mortgage payments from becoming homeless themselves?
Totally right. There's a lot of people who are way closer to being homeless than they even realize.

Old 04-11-2015, 03:18 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Tent cities have sprung up in and around at least 55 American cities - they represent the bleak reality of America's poverty crisis.

... One of the largest tented camps is in Florida and is now home to around 300 people. Others have sprung up in New Jersey and Portland.

... There are an estimated 5,000 people living in the dozens of camps that have sprung up across America

U.S. 'Tent Cities,' Sharp Increase in Homelessness Ignored by Almost Everyone Except the BBC

This is why I detest the government-controlled American media and pretty much ignore their government propaganda! Do you see the major news outlets covering this?

How many have died these past several years of record heat and cold?

Seattle mayor wants to allow and regulate 3 new tent cities
Originally published January 15, 2015

Seattle mayor wants to allow and regulate 3 new tent cities | The Seattle Times

Tent Cities In America!!!

Exclusive: America Has Now Become a Nation of “Tent Citiesâ€

Exclusive: America Has Now Become a Nation of

List of tent cities in the United States
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of tent cities in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Don't you know, it's against the law to talk about homelessness when there is a Democrat in the White House. They'll "re-appear" again when we elect a Republican.

Old 04-11-2015, 03:32 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
What would bernie sanders do besides promise his constituents someone elses money?

I bet Bernie Sanders would embrace tiny houses instead of zoning them out of town.

Old 04-11-2015, 03:42 AM

Quote:
In most cases foreclosure proceedings are started within 4 months of missed payments,and also most landlords now require a credit report before they will rent to you,so if one loses their home,who is going to rent to them?

If you lose your job..... is your unemployment high enough to pay your mortgage??

Rents are high enough that you can pay your mortgage by renting out a couple rooms. I know people who have done this and lived in their house for free.,

Old 04-11-2015, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Is this a joke? I am not hardcore one party or the other - but the dems basically argue that simply asking someone to obtain a gov't issued ID in order to vote is an attack on their party.

Think about that - the dems say enough of their party is too poor to pay a $10 fee to get an ID card or travel to the local DMV to get one that 99.99% of the population seems able to do that it affects their party.

Again, just to be clear - a $10 fee, which I believe can be waived, is so cost prohibitive that it only affects one party? Let that sink in about what it means for the dem base.

For the OP, maybe you can set up an email alert when these stories run, since they don't seem to be often enough for your liking. I know off the top of my head that a story about a tent city in NJ was the most read story on WSJ.com a few months ago - but I guess you have some minimum threshold since you and your family don't see these stories reported enough. The media is controlled by one thing - what makes them money.

??? Cost me $63 to get my ID.

Old 04-11-2015, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Tent cities have sprung up in and around at least 55 American cities - they represent the bleak reality of America's poverty crisis.

How many of those cities are gentrifying?

Gentrification contributes to displacement because burger flippers, those living on disability, and the unemployed cannot keep up with rising rents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies