Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2015, 12:26 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
H1-B has become corrupt and riddled with fraud. We all know that once these H1-Bs get experience, they will expect more pay. Instead of that happening, they get sent home only to have the company bring in a new crop and on and on.
Not true. Most H1B workers stay in the US and apply for green cards.

You tend to think H1B workers are all like cheap farmers from Mexico. In fact, many of them graduated from top schools in Asia or the US, and the companies actually want to keep them. In 2012 alone, 35,000 Indian nationals got green cards.

http://www.workpermit.com/news/2013-...ration-in-2012
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 12:32 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
One more thing. The software engineers' children will all be US citizens, and they are much more likely to become software engineers than children of other families. This might help the US in a long run, but the racial discrepancy will be enormous in the future.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:38 AM

22,451 posts, read 11,972,828 times
And the ones who didn't go to schools in the US or Asia? Please don't try to say that they all have done so, because it's just not true. Plus, how do you prove that their resumes are real? There is a lot of fraud in the program and far too many have been brought over lacking skills.

It's True: There's Fraud in the H1-B Visa Program - Businessweek

End H-1B visa program's abuse - LA Times

What percentage of H1-Bs get green cards? How many employers sponsor them for green cards? What do they have to gain by sponsoring H1-Bs? Most H1-Bs are mediocre at best and downright incompetent at worst. Why would an employer want to sponsor a mediocre one? After all, the way the program is set up, when the visa expires, there is no need to sponsor one for a green card when it is so easy to get replacements.

As for those who do get green cards --- here is what happens --- once they get a green card and are in a position to hire, they blatantly discriminate against non-Indians. And you think it's a good idea to give them green cards?

Those kids of the "software engineers" who are American citizens will find that they are just as vulnerable to losing out to H1-Bs, unless they come across a bigoted hiring manager who will only hire Indians.

There is no guarantee that an H1-B will eventually get a green card.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:43 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
I assume you mean go anywhere in the country to work? If so, how many companies will help with relocation expenses?...
Yes I mean citizens from the US, moving anywhere in the US. But this is where I stop is with the entitlements. It depends on the position and who needs who. But entitlements need to go out the the window.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:10 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
And the ones who didn't go to schools in the US or Asia? Please don't try to say that they all have done so, because it's just not true. Plus, how do you prove that their resumes are real? There is a lot of fraud in the program and far too many have been brought over lacking skills.

You have a whole lot of what's and are under some fantasy that citizens of the US state the 100% truth on their resumes. Well I've read 100's of them from US citizens and found 100's of them containing so much bloat that one has to crack up laughing at the amount of BS.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:24 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,111,606 times
Corporate statutes and common law provide that the Board of Directors owe a fiduciary duty to maximize shareholder value. If corporations can get somewhat comparable talent at a significantly lower price outside of the US, doesn't the fiduciary duty require them to use foreign workers and contractors? It's not the corporation's fault if they are mandated by state law to get the most profits.

Mick

Old 04-15-2015, 05:29 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
And BAM. Look. You first state that they are paid the same, but then go on about the savings. Heres a clue-someone is paying the social security for most contractors. The fact that you the end user is not, most often means they are paying it, or the company on their behalf. You're literally helping me and others here prove the point. Thanks!
Like I said, although the salaries are the same hiring company still saves. You can argue all you want, but it won't change facts.

Quote:
And why aren't we graduating people for these? Because they don't pay enough. This is supply and demand. Add in that we charge for college, and a lifetime of loans, we have people not going the CS route. And if you do get a CS degree, you compete with an army of H1B's driving down the pay. For short term contracts. No job security.
IT jobs actually pay very well, but people want to study the new technologies, while many of the jobs are in the older ones. Most H1B people I have worked with did RPG and other old stuff, while US kids from collage worked on newer things. We don't have enough people graduating in this field, and that's a problem. Cutting H1Bs would only hurt US corporations, and drive them to India where they do have enough graduates.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:46 AM

Quote:
^The problem with what you say is this --- Despite your disparaging of Americans, they are still better educated that any H1-B who was educated in India.
I do not agree. US collage graduates are actually quite helpless entering real work environment and it takes a lot of time and effort to get them up to speed, while H1B are productive on day 1.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:49 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,846,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I do not agree. US collage graduates are actually quite helpless entering real work environment and it takes a lot of time and effort to get them up to speed, while H1B are productive on day 1.
How come Americans are still training
their replacements?

Old 04-15-2015, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Why not encourage more Americans to study computer science too?

When I took a CS class in a state university, about 50% students are Chinese, 20% Indians, 20% Americans, and a few others. (There are much more Chinese students than Indian students, but many of them go back when they finish.)

Top schools are the same, just to a lesser degree. I took a graduate CS course at Harvard, and about 1/3 are Chinese (from China).
It's strange, isn't it? IT/CS has a bright future as far a job growth goes, and the jobs are well paid, but people are not interested? What am I missing? Some kids think they don't have what it takes, that you have to be super smart, but that's not true. These are skills which can be learned, just like any other skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies