Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 02:07 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times

Advertisements

If Americans refuse to work for what other people will do the job for they have no one to blame but themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 02:10 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If Americans refuse to work for what other people will do the job for they have no one to blame but themselves.
Nah, blaming themselves is never an option. I think we'd rather issue something like the Chinese Exclusion Act if we find ourselves unable to compete with immigrants.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:08 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
There are a few problems with this:

1. "It's" is not the same as "its".
2. "Governments" is not the same as "government's".
3. "Kids" is not the same as "kid's".
4. H-1B workers pay taxes and pay for their kids' college education too. In return, they get no social security benefits. Reasoning your way, they may actually be more advantageous.
5. What you consider exploitation may not be what they consider exploitation. Do you think illegal Mexican immigrants are exploited because they don't know better or do they know everything but don't regard it as exploitation?
Seriously, you want to have a legitimate conversation by starting out with the first 3 d-baggy bullet points? I'm in finance, not an English major, and typing between doing things that are far more important than impressing your smug *** with flawless grammar on the interwebz.

Nothing that you said in any way changes what the responsibility of my government is to US citizens.

So you are another one who thinks US workers are an entitled, lazy bunch, who deserve to have their standard of living undercut using illegal and/or unethical labor practices by large companies with the aid of the government.

Your position is noted.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:

I wonder how many people posting snide things like this are H1B's themselves.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Seriously, you want to have a legitimate conversation by starting out with the first 3 d-baggy bullet points? I'm in finance, not an English major, and typing between doing things that are far more important than impressing your smug *** with flawless grammar on the interwebz.
I never asked if you were an English major. I pointed out your mistakes because they are mistakes. If you are bothered by that, maybe type more properly next time. If you justify your spelling mistakes by working in finance, just move on. Pointing out mistakes makes no one smug or d-bag.

Quote:

Nothing that you said in any way changes what the responsibility of my government is to US citizens.
Wasn't my intention to change that. Simply pointed out that your argument is invalid because your premises aren't supporting it.

Quote:
So you are another one who thinks US workers are an entitled, lazy bunch, who deserve to have their standard of living undercut using illegal and/or unethical labor practices by large companies with the aid of the government.
Can you show me anywhere I said or implied that? Or are you trying to put words in my mouth? It sounds like you're the one that even suggested these attributes.

Quote:
Your position is noted.
Doesn't sound like you understand my position. I am 100% against abuse of the H-1B system, and this is why I started this thread and am excited about the upcoming scrutiny of the program.

Last edited by AmFest; 06-18-2015 at 03:48 PM..

Old 06-18-2015, 03:57 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
I wonder how many people posting snide things like this are H1B's themselves.
There's nothing snide about it whatsoever.

Say you are a patriotic corporate citizen and you've got a ton of work that needs to be done. At the same time, you've got to pay your taxes, compensate your executives and return good value to your shareholders.

You offer the work to an American and he says, "I'll do it but I need $35 an hour plus medical, dental, retirement, paid vacation, sick leave, blah-blah-blah."

In the meantime somebody from another country says, "I'll do the same work for half the price."

Who are you gonna hire? It's simply business.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
There's nothing snide about it whatsoever.

Say you are a patriotic corporate citizen and you've got a ton of work that needs to be done. At the same time, you've got to pay your taxes, compensate your executives and return good value to your shareholders.

You offer the work to an American and he says, "I'll do it but I need $35 an hour plus medical, dental, retirement, paid vacation, sick leave, blah-blah-blah."

In the meantime somebody from another country says, "I'll do the same work for half the price."

Who are you gonna hire? It's simply business.
That's why we need to have laws in place to prevent this from happening. Hiring foreigners for cheap instead of hiring citizens at proper wage benefits the employer in the short run, but will make long-term damage to the society as a whole.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
That's why we need to have laws in place to prevent this from happening. Hiring foreigners for cheap instead of hiring citizens at proper wage benefits the employer in the short run, but will make long-term damage to the society as a whole.

"Hiring foreigners for cheap" is poor grammar..

It seems like we agree on this issue in essence, but you found it more important to be a jerk about grammar..hence it being the first 3 things you mentioned in your response to me. Unfortunate.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:44 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
About time. H1B laws which allow the firing US citizens from a job and replacing them with less qualified foreigners, just so they can pay them less, what an outrage.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:47 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,213,290 times
Default Show Trial

Quote:
The truth is that this has been going on for years and years but not so blatantly, or the drive by media has
decided to spotlight it. Probably a little of both.

Assume that the politicians know the answers before they ask the questions

Its Chinatown baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies