Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 06:29 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
He's South African born and Canadian-American. You mean to tell me that he couldn't have achieved that same success in Canada? Seriously?
No. I was going to tell you that the tens of thousands of jobs and tens of billions of GDP he generated would have gone to Canada instead. Would you still have kicked him out in retrospect at a cost of tens of billions of dollars and tens of thousands of jobs for our country? If you would, you would have done more damage to America than Ebola.

But yeah, he would not have founded Tesla in Canada.

I have condolences for your husband for being discriminated against, but this practice is illegal, and you and your husband should get it straightened out. Labor law exists for a reason. If the Indian person had become permanent residents through other means, he would have done the same. Taking your anger for one particular person out to an entire system, while understandable, is not rational.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen_ View Post
Very positive news. Listen to the congressional hearing March 19 (or 17) 2015, that hearing was damning to the H1b program.
They had a great panel of experts, besides the immigration attorney, all on panel agreed that the h1b visa is abused, and used to replace Americans with , yes, cheaper foreign labor.

When Outsourcing companies do stuff like this.. makes me sick. From the Civil case Layla Bolton vs InfoSys
" federal demographic data. Infosys was required to report the demographic make-up of any location at which it employs at least 50 people, according to the lawsuit. In 2012, there were 59 such Infosys sites across the U.S. that met that threshold. The lawsuit said that for more one third of the sites – 21 — Infosys reported that 100% of the employees are Asian. For 53 of the 59 sites, at least 94.5% of the employees were Asian. The lowest percentage of Asian employees at any site was 73.8%.”

If that isn't discrimination, i don't know what is. Totally Unamerican.. Go Layla Go
Besides Infosys, I'd also like to see Tata and Wipro convincted, penalized, and prohibited from hiring H-1B workers. These companies alone accounted for 50,000 H-1B hires in 2014 at average salaries in the 60k's and 70k's. Madness.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:39 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
I have no problems if those jobs went to Canadians. Besides, you trot out Elon Musk as an example with the implication that H1-Bs are all like him, when in reality, they are mediocre at best and at worst, downright incompetent. There is so much fraud and corruption in that visa program. Americans applying for IT jobs get screened far more carefully than H1-B holders---that's how so many with fake resumes end up taking jobs from Americans.

You are really, really naive if you think that labor law helps in this situation. If it did, then those Indians would have been stopped a long time ago from blatantly discriminating against non-Indians.

It is indeed "rational" to be angry at the whole H1-B system. Why should anyone be doing a happy dance about that awful visa program?

Why do you hate Americans and enjoy seeing them get displaced by H1-Bs? I personally find that practice to be sickening.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
Besides Infosys, I'd also like to see Tata and Wipro convincted, penalized, and prohibited from hiring H-1B workers. These companies alone accounted for 50,000 H-1B hires in 2014 at average salaries in the 60k's and 70k's. Madness.
This is a perfect example as to why the whole H1-B visa program needs to be abolished and all H1-Bs sent home.

Once the program is abolished, should we reach a point where American citizen STEM/IT workers are fielding multiple offers and at excellent salaries to the point where jobs are truly going begging, then create a temporary visa program with low caps and a lot of oversight.

Otherwise, as long as Americans are kicked out of jobs and forced to train their H1-B replacements, there is no need for the H1-B program.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
I have no problems if those jobs went to Canadians.
Unlike you, I do have a problem with American jobs going to Canada. Because I love America, and I want Americans to have those jobs. Because, you know, I'm not Canadian. You must be Canadian? If so, pay attention to the fact that many Canadians come to the US through the H-1B program.

Quote:
Besides, you trot out Elon Musk as an example with the implication that H1-Bs are all like him
Jesus Christ. Do you have amnesia? The reason I brought out Elon Musk is this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
H1-Bs are not doing our country any favors.
and this post:

Quote:
And we don't need any of those 20,000.
Rings a bell?

Quote:
You are really, really naive if you think that labor law helps in this situation. If it did, then those Indians would have been stopped a long time ago from blatantly discriminating against non-Indians.
So what's your solution? Stopping immigration of all Indians?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD;l39195454
Why do you hate Americans and enjoy seeing them get displaced by H1-Bs? I personally find that practice to be sickening.
I'm not sure if you ignored or conveniently forgot my stance on this. I've said a thousand times I am completely against H-1B's replacing Americans. It's the H-1B workers that do not replace American workers and even create jobs for Americans that should stay. You know, people like Elon Musk who you would rather kick out of this country.

YOU are the hater of Americans for driving people that create jobs FOR AMERICANS away.

Clearly you have never met a competent H-1B worker. Heck, you don't even know any H-1B worker. You hate H-1B workers because your husband got discriminated by some Indian American that is not even an H-1B worker.

Hatred clouds your judgement.

Unlike you, I am personal friends and have worked with the current or naturalized H-1B workers that are part of the next generation of technological evolution, the people that will create new jobs in America and keep America competitive in the future. I also personally know the international students in college that graduated the top of their class who have completed or are completing their graduate studies to become doctors and scientists. People that you are not lucky enough to have ever met.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:33 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,771 times
Quote:
They also hire, bluntly, garbage. I grew up in NJ going to schools where the Indian students tended to be much stronger than the student body as a whole, so when I first started interacting with people who had come to America through Infosys/Wipro I was really taken by surprise at the general low level of competence and the amount of dishonesty and exaggeration in their resumes that a bit of interviewing quickly brought to the surface. They rely on companies that see the pricetag they charge but don't take into account the quality of the work/product being delivered.

That said, they are neither an accurate reflection of H1-B workers as a whole nor Indian immigrants as a whole -- and anyone who thinks so will find themselves as wrong and surprised as I was, just in the opposite direction.

Last edited by ALackOfCreativity; 04-12-2015 at 07:52 PM..

Old 04-12-2015, 08:06 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,897 times
Quote:
Unlike you, I do have a problem with American jobs going to Canada. Because I love America, and I want Americans to have those jobs. Because, you know, I'm not Canadian. You must be Canadian? If so, pay attention to the fact that many Canadians come to the US through the H-1B program.

Jesus Christ. Do you have amnesia? The reason I brought out Elon Musk is this post:

and this post:

Rings a bell?

I'm not sure if you ignored or conveniently forgot my stance on this. I've said a thousand times I am completely against H-1B's replacing Americans. It's the H-1B workers that do not replace American workers and even create jobs for Americans that should stay. You know, people like Elon Musk who you would rather kick out of this country.

YOU are the hater of Americans for driving people that create jobs FOR AMERICANS away.

Clearly you have never met a competent H-1B worker. Heck, you don't even know any H-1B worker. You hate H-1B workers because your husband got discriminated by some Indian American that is not even an H-1B worker.

Unlike you, I am personal friends and have worked with the current or naturalized H-1B workers that are part of the next generation of technological evolution, the people that will create new jobs in America and keep America competitive in the future. I also personally know the international students in college that graduated the top of their class who have completed or are completing their graduate studies to become doctors and scientists. People that you are not lucky enough to have ever met.
A brunch of bull****.
Most of Tech giants were white guys.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:

and this post:

Rings a bell?

OMG! Where to begin --- These "American jobs" you bring up are jobs that are NOT going to Americans but rather H1-Bs. If you truly wanted those jobs to go to Americans, then you wouldn't push so hard for an H1-B.

You're the one who must have amnesia. You mentioned that Elon Musk had an H1-B and then made a lame attempt to equate all H1-Bs with him.

H1-Bs do not create jobs for Americans. Instead, they steal them from Americans. If Elon Musk wanted to create jobs in Canada, so be it.

Did you also know that when Gates asked for more H1-Bs to be brought into this country and didn't get them, he had a hissy fit and built a campus in British Columbia?

Good lord! Give it up already! You support H1-Bs to the point where you are callous about Americans losing out to them.

We don't need H1-Bs at all. Period. End of discussion. Instead, we need to make sure that all Americans who want to work in STEM/IT not only have jobs but don't lose them to H1-Bs.

Why do you think it's okay to poach educated people that are from third world countries? Don't you think that they are needed far, far more there than here?

BTW, why are you asking what my solution is when I told you over and over again? Do you have amnesia? My solution is this ---abolish the H1-B program as it is riddled with fraud and corruption (something that you appear to not care about). Once again---should we reach the point where American citizen STEM/IT workers are fielding several job offers at great salaries and those jobs are going begging, then come up with a temporary visa program that has strict oversight.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:19 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Conveniently, the people who decide to replace the workers in their company with H-1Bs never bother to replace themselves with one. Why is that? Because it's a scam, through and through. They do so on the claim that they cannot find the skills they need here, but the H-1Bs will come in and save the day. Yet magically they are just skilled enough to push out the rank and file, but not skilled enough to replace Mr Hiring Manager/Exec. Come on, it's so transparent.

Hopefully something comes of this 'investigation'. I don't think anything will. It's just going through the motions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Washington politicians (Republican and Democrat) are on the side of big business and increasing the number of Indian tech workers.
Are any 2016 contenders calling to reduce H1B visas?

Bipartisan Senate Bills Would Increase Visas and Green Cards for High-Tech Workers - WSJ

"The first bill, introduced Tuesday by Sens. Orrin Hatch (R., Utah), Amy Klobuchar (D., Minn.) and four others, would increase the number of high-skilled visas available each year to as many as 195,000 from the current cap of 65,000 and otherwise allow for more legal immigration to the U.S. "

"The measure is similar to the high-tech provisions in a sweeping 2013 Senate immigration bill, which died in the House. It is being cosponsored by Sens. Marco Rubio (R., Fla.), Chris Coons (D., Del.), Jeff Flake (R., Ariz.) and Richard Blumenthal (D., Conn.)."
Why am I not surprised that sonofa... himself, Mr Orrin Hatch, mormon extraordinaire, is behind that bill. Dirtbag cannot keel over soon enough.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
OMG! Where to begin --- These "American jobs" you bring up are jobs that are NOT going to Americans but rather H1-Bs.
You clearly did not understand that I referred to the jobs that Elon Musk's companies created. The vast majority of employees at these companies are American. Tens of thousands of Americans got jobs because of Elon Musk. Sadly, you would have kicked him out of America and destroyed tens of thousands of jobs for Americans.

Quote:
You mentioned that Elon Musk had an H1-B and then made a lame attempt to equate all H1-Bs with him.
I never said, nor implied that. Point out where I equated all H-1B's with him and I'll give you 5 bucks. How's that?

Quote:
If Elon Musk wanted to create jobs in Canada, so be it.
Did you forget I brought him up because you said you would have kicked him out of our country?

Quote:
Did you also know that when Gates asked for more H1-Bs to be brought into this country and didn't get them, he had a hissy fit and built a campus in British Columbia?
I did not. How is this relevant to our discussion? Genuine question.

Quote:
You support H1-Bs to the point where you are callous about Americans losing out to them.
I'm deeply concerned that Americans are losing out to foreign workers.

Quote:
We don't need H1-Bs at all. Period. End of discussion.
I would argue that we need people like Elon Musk. And also, many, many of the people that you have never met that are extremely talented. Come to San Francisco sometime. I'll introduce you to them.

Quote:
Instead, we need to make sure that all Americans who want to work in STEM/IT not only have jobs but don't lose them to H1-Bs.
We need to make sure that COMPETENT Americans get those jobs. A McDonald's burger flipper that has no skills should not have jobs in technology.

Quote:
Why do you think it's okay to poach educated people that are from third world countries? Don't you think that they are needed far, far more there than here?
I don't give a damn. I want top talents to work in America. If you care about those countries so much, you should consider moving there to contribute your talent.

Quote:
BTW, why are you asking what my solution is when I told you over and over again? My solution is this ---abolish the H1-B program
Because this will not stop Indians from immigrating here. Your husband had a problem with ONE Indian who is NOT an H-1B worker.

Quote:
as it is riddled with fraud and corruption
which is why I'm excited about this investigation.

Quote:
(something that you appear to not care about).
Interesting. After reading all my posts about banning the companies that abuse the system, this is what you got out of them?

Quote:
Once again---should we reach the point where American citizen STEM/IT workers are fielding several job offers at great salaries and those jobs are going begging, then come up with a temporary visa program that has strict oversight.
Oooh this is new development! I love this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies