Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2015, 12:33 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times

Advertisements

"Get a STEM degree" they say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 12:45 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,356,421 times
Im going to respond to the Elon Musk comment. Yes we got Elon Musk, great. And who did we lose? We don't know. Who went into finance instead of STEM? We are losing some of our brightest because thats where the money is. And its not doing us any favors.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:51 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
While I am no fan of H1-B's this sort of work does require training no matter how bright folks are. They need to be taught the environment, all the specialized software-some of which may have been written in house, etc etc. At my work we hire the brightest folks possible.....and STILL have a 6 month training period.
Please. I didn't get any training when I started my new job last summer. I was thrown into the deep end and expected to sink or swim.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:55 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,210,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
That's too extreme. Many H-1B's hold bachelors and advanced degrees from US institutions including the very top ones. They're far from being mediocre. The mediocre and incompetent ones are typically those that were educated abroad and shipped over to work for just a few years.

O-visas are short-term, NON-immigrant visas.
So are H1B's.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:14 PM

19,796 posts, read 9,331,249 times
I have just given out about a half dozen rep points on this thread, so I will only add that I think our elected officials should put the interests of U.S. citizens ahead of those of anyone else when it comes to employment in this country.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:17 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I have just given out about a half dozen rep points on this thread, so I will only add that I think our elected officials should put the interests of U.S. citizens ahead of those of anyone else when it comes to employment in this country.
They should but they don't.

7.4 million work visas got approved for foreign tourists, foreign students, refugees and illegals from 2009 to 2014 (USCIS).

Old 04-13-2015, 03:21 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,015,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
I am skeptical about this "Investigation" I would be willing to bet this is just political theatre and giving pretend concern to the issue, and nothing will end up being done about it.

It's just like illegal immigration, the GOP pretended to want to stop it, they put up a pretend fight, but they let Obama have his way with Amnesty.

All the politicians are working for the major corporations. They always do what's in the best interest of the corporations.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
The real problem is, the H1B program has been hijacked by some Indian staffing companies. In recent years, over 70% H1B visas went to Indian nationals. Can you believe that?

There is a 65,000 cap each year. Some of the staffing companies send 3, 4, 5 petitions for the same person (which is illegal), so they have 3, 4, 5 times more chances to be selected than others. Also, the law says H1B beneficiaries must have already had a job offer when filing the petition. Those staffing companies create fake jobs for those who do not have an offer already, just to take the H1B. After that, it is easier to "transfer" to a real job.
As I stated in another thread about this subject, when I look at job boards and I see an Indian name as the hiring manager, I wont' even bother applying. I have already wasted enough time going to half-assed EOE interviews with Indian hiring managers who had no intention of hiring me, but brought me in to pretend to be a "diverse workplace" where 90-99% of their staff were directly from India.

They hire their own kind.

There are many jobs that can be applied to where it asks on the online form if you will now, or in the future, require a work visa. This is another way for employers to hire current or future H-1B's

Old 04-13-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They should but they don't.

7.4 million work visas got approved for foreign tourists, foreign students, refugees and illegals from 2009 to 2014 (USCIS).
A little off topic, but this is the other growing trend in taking American jobs. There is a growing foreign student population at nearly every university in the country. They come here, attend school, then apply to jobs and internships while they're here. Then they get work visas.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:30 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Please. Gates has made it very clear that he wants even more H1-Bs and even lies about not being able to find Americans. For example, what effort was made to hire Americans? Was help offered with relocation costs? Was training offered to those who needed to get up to speed
The H1B program has been adapted by the scumbag corporations as a replacement for the old trick of hiring people as "consultants" and "independent contractors" so as not to have to pay things like overtime and benefits.

Face it, those who run many corporations have no interest in doing what is best for America. Way back when Henry Ford hired employees at a good wage so they could afford to buy the cars they helped build. The spillover was a drastic rise in economic activity, not to mention increasing standard of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies