Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2015, 12:47 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Maude View Post
Actually, that was added to the Statue of Liberty quite a lot later. The statue itself had no immigration concept attached to it.
It does not matter...the fact of the matter is that most white ancestors came to America because of persecution and poverty in Europe. In other words, stop talking like Africa was a hell hole and Europe was some utopia. Your ancestors fled Europe because life sucked living just among white folks.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:49 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post
Its easy. Slavery does not exist and hasn't for several generations. There is no possible way for slavery to have any impact on your life. Its like blaming dinosaurs for global warming. You can study every facet of your life and at no time will we find any correlation with slavery. Its impossible....unless you were sold as a sex slave.

Actually, where slavery was the reason for the civil war (THE "state's right" that the south most cared about), pretty much the entire economic gains of slavery over the preceding 80 years or so of America's existence were wiped out by the sheer costs of that war: Both in terms of real dollars spent, destroyed economic output and loss of men, followed by the recovery and rebuilding effort.

I remain absolutely convinced that slavery was never a necessity for the development of the United States. In the absence of the slave economy, regular models of simple exploited wage earners and tenant farmers/serfs that had typified European farming would have produced enormous wealth (perhaps not as MUCH, but wealth nonetheless) for colonials and early Americans.

Colonialism in general also shows that early gains are soon replaced by the enormous costs associated with maintaining an empire. How many European countries who once controlled vast areas of the earth lost it all as the system was untenable and collapsed? Where is the wealth of the Mongols? The Turks? The Arabs? Even the wealth of the African empires borne from conquest?

Even the United States has to make this calculation today, in terms of opportunity costs: we spend countless billions to maintain access to resources considered strategic.... but could that money simply be invested to obviate the need for those resources in the first place?

Old 04-12-2015, 12:50 PM

592 posts, read 502,383 times
Quote:
What? How can I be personally responsibility for something that occurred before I was born? I bear no personal responsibility for slavery or discrimination. I think you are confused with me pointing out illogical conclusions as me getting defensive. My skin color does not dictate what I'm responsible for. To suggest that I'm responsible for something simply because I'm white is bigoted and discriminatory.
We are benefiting and living of free labor of the slaves. Do not get defensive, this guys provided the labor to get us where we are, at least let's acknowledge that.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
What? How can I be personally responsibility for something that occurred before I was born? I bear no personal responsibility for slavery or discrimination. I think you are confused with me pointing out illogical conclusions as me getting defensive. My skin color does not dictate what I'm responsible for. To suggest that I'm responsible for something simply because I'm white is bigoted and discriminatory.
Maybe not your skin color....but your citizenship is a package in which you inherit the assets, liability and owners equity of the land. One cannot simply accept the assets of citizenship, nearly all of which YOU ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR CREATING, yet you enjoy them, yet, disclaiming the liabilities bases upon the reasoning that you played no role in their creation. That is not how it works. Its the nation, through it's laws and what it allowed to go on, that instituted white supremacy and hence its citizens are therefore liable. Hell....I played no role in the wars that my tax dollars have gone to pay for.....but that is just the way it is.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
History is very relevant. The slaves provided free labor and did not get the benefits of the wealth they created. Voting rights in the 1960 and it has been a fight all along...

Come on, let's take personal responsibility, and not get defensive

"Personal responsibility" implies "personal" involvement.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:54 PM

1,160 posts, read 713,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
We are benefiting and living of free labor of the slaves. Do not get defensive, this guys provided the labor to get us where we are, at least let's acknowledge that.

I'm sorry if you think slavery still has an impact on the socioeconomic status of people in today's society. It's simply not true.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:58 PM

1,160 posts, read 713,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Maybe not your skin color....but your citizenship is a package in which you inherit the assets, liability and owners equity of the land. One cannot simply accept the assets of citizenship, nearly all of which YOU ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR CREATING, yet you enjoy them, yet, disclaiming the liabilities bases upon the reasoning that you played no role in their creation. That is not how it works. Its the, nation, through it's laws and what it allowed to go on, the instituted white supremacy and hence its citizens are therefore liable. Hell....I played no role in the wars that my tax dollars have gone to pay for.....but that is just the way it is.
The problem is and back to my original point, discrimination, slavery or any number of things that occurred a long time ago has no bearing on why people remain poor. You continue to equivocate the reason people became poor are the same as why they stay poor. You keep citing history with out ever considering current circumstances as the reason why people stay poor. Slavery that occurred hundreds of years ago has no impact on the success or failures of a person today.

"I did not get that job because my great, great, great, great, great, great grandfather was a slave".

Old 04-12-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
"Personal responsibility" implies "personal" involvement.
Yes....you are involved as a CITIZEN of a nation that has past liabilities and the way the law works is that it does not give a ratz azz what roll you played personally when it want you to help pay. If there is a war and a draft......you have to go regardless if you did not start the war....because that is the COST of being a citizen.

Citizenship is NOT FREE.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:59 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Who said anything about conquerors?\
This is simply math. When you get more out of a relationship than you put into it, the other entity get less out and it creates an inequality. This is only rocket science to a closed mind.
  • Conquerors - how else do you force a bunch of people onto a boat to die? Remember this is YOUR hypothetical situation.
Now please define what you mean by "Black Society" and "Culture" and the time period/location that you are talking about.
  • If you are talking about modern America, then it's nonsense.
  • If you are talking about colonial times when slavery was part of the economy, I will point out that the slaves were sold by other Blacks in Africa. They profited quite handsomely from it. Yet despite making those windfalls by selling off other Blacks they had conquered. They have little to show for it now.
Talk generalities all you want. But pin it down a time & location, and it doesn't make any sense at all. This is why you keep making argument that fails from any test of logic or fact.

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 04-12-2015 at 01:10 PM..

Old 04-12-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Maybe not your skin color....but your citizenship is a package in which you inherit the assets, liability and owners equity of the land. One cannot simply accept the assets of citizenship, nearly all of which YOU ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR CREATING, you you enjoy them, yet, disclaiming the liabilities bases upon the reasoning that you played no role in their creation. That is not how it works. Its the, nation, through it's laws and what it allowed to go on, the instituted white supremacy and hence its citizens are therefore liable. Hell....I played no role in the wars that my tax dollars have gone to pay for.....but that is just the way it is.

Look, I think in retrospect, the majority of white people today would be happy to go back to that first slave ship that arrived on the shores of Virginia in the 1600s, and make it turn right back around.

Interestingly though, one wonders if you hold other, non-white populations to account for their supremacy complex? The majority in any country or region typically holds its kind in a supremacy attitude. It happens in African countries. It happens in Asian countries. Amongst pre-Columbian native populations. The Japanese are famous for this to this day. The Arabs enslaved 80 million Africans over hundreds of years. Anytime you enslave another group you are asserting supremacy. The Chinese thought they were better and more civilized than anyone else, and attitudes of such remain with respect to the majority Han vs. other ethnic groups in the nation.

Within Europe there was even a hierarchy of who were "the best" vis-à-vis other ethnicities of whites.

Interestingly, Europeans and white people are one of the only populations and "races" that seem to actively discuss and attempt to dispel racist attitudes, and to placate minority populations. In other places (for example, if you tried your non-stop victimization complaints in an Arab country where blacks are oppressed), you wouldn't find a sympathetic audience, course study, academic hand wringing or incessant media coverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies