Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 12:14 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,488,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Time for an age of consent law for vaccinations.
There is no federal law. Some states have laws, some don't.
You might find this informative:
Legal Basis of Consent for Health Care and Vaccination for Adolescents
"At the federal level, no vaccination consent law exists; however, federal law requires that vaccine information statements be given to the parent or another person who is qualified under state law to consent to vaccination of a minor. All states allow minors to consent for their own health care in some circumstances on the basis of either (1) their status (eg, age, emancipation, marriage) or (2) the kind of health care services they are seeking (eg, family planning services, treatment of sexually transmitted disease). In each state, a specific analysis of laws will be required to determine the circumstances under which a minor can consent for vaccination."

Old 04-13-2015, 12:20 PM

34,274 posts, read 19,312,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
What's funny is the same Americans attacking Oz's government for requiring a vaccination in order to receive welfare praising US states for requiring drug tests to receive welfare....smell the hypocrisy...
Actually I am the OP and I am rabidly against that as well. I also have a serious disdain for anti-vaxxers. Plus the two topics are unrelated, one requires proof from you that you haven't done something, the other requires that you ingest something, or be injected with something.

I don't believe we should go down this route as a method to enforce people to not be stupid. Its trading individual rights vs individual stupidity. The fact that it affects the vaccinated occasionally is why I am torn about it. Your rights end at your nose. And this goes beyond a individuals nose as disease spreads. Its just not as obvious as most clear cut arguments.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:28 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,389,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
A bigger criminal than a serial killer, right?

Pardon me if I sneeze.

Aaaat . . . . chew!
As far as I'm concerned, not vaccinating your children is in the same breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You think the same should be done for the flu shot ?
Why the hell would I think that? The flu is hardly terminal.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:31 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,676,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Neither are chicken pox or the measles or rotavirus since sanitation measures increased along with clean water. One day flu vaccine will be mandated and it will be" too bad so sad" for those who don't want to get it.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:35 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,351,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
What's funny is the same Americans attacking Oz's government for requiring a vaccination in order to receive welfare praising US states for requiring drug tests to receive welfare....smell the hypocrisy...
No, but it's not surprising that you would make that assumption. You see a urine test as the same thing as taking a shot that makes changes in someones body. You see no difference in testing body waste and injecting chemicals into someone, how ignorant do you have to be to not see those are completely different?

Old 04-13-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Actually I am the OP and I am rabidly against that as well. I also have a serious disdain for anti-vaxxers. Plus the two topics are unrelated, one requires proof from you that you haven't done something, the other requires that you ingest something, or be injected with something.

I don't believe we should go down this route as a method to enforce people to not be stupid. Its trading individual rights vs individual stupidity. The fact that it affects the vaccinated occasionally is why I am torn about it. Your rights end at your nose. And this goes beyond a individuals nose as disease spreads. Its just not as obvious as most clear cut arguments.
We definitely don't agree on vaccines but it is refreshing to see someone who is rabidly pro-vaccine understand the aspect of the issue of forced vaccines and government overreach and actually be concerned about it. Very refreshing.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:53 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,488,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
As far as I'm concerned, not vaccinating your children is in the same breath.

Are you serious? There have been 125 pediatric influenza deaths this season.
Weekly U.S. Influenza Surveillance Report | Seasonal Influenza (Flu) | CDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Neither are chicken pox or the measles or rotavirus since sanitation measures increased along with clean water. One day flu vaccine will be mandated and it will be" too bad so sad" for those who don't want to get it.
Chickenpox has zip to do with sanitation as the way to contract it. It's airborne. Before the vaccine, there were about 100-150 deaths a year in the US due to chickenpox. Believe me, if there were a vaccine that caused that rate of deaths, it'd be pulled from the market before 100 were dead.

Rotavirus caused about 20-60 deaths in the US in the pre-vaccine era. While that is not a large number, any death is sad, and RV caused 410,000 physician visits, 205-272,000 ED visits, and 55-70,000 hospitalizations.
CDC - Surveillance of Rotavirus - Chapter 13 - Vaccine Preventable Diseases

Old 04-13-2015, 12:59 PM

13,290 posts, read 7,841,936 times
Yes, aluminum is a miracle metal to some.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
Are you serious? There have been 125 pediatric influenza deaths this season.
Weekly U.S. Influenza Surveillance Report | Seasonal Influenza (Flu) | CDC

Chickenpox has zip to do with sanitation as the way to contract it. It's airborne. Before the vaccine, there were about 100-150 deaths a year in the US due to chickenpox. Believe me, if there were a vaccine that caused that rate of deaths, it'd be pulled from the market before 100 were dead.

Rotavirus caused about 20-60 deaths in the US in the pre-vaccine era. While that is not a large number, any death is sad, and RV caused 410,000 physician visits, 205-272,000 ED visits, and 55-70,000 hospitalizations.
CDC - Surveillance of Rotavirus - Chapter 13 - Vaccine Preventable Diseases
People's survival rates to disease has an awful lot to do with increased sanitation, access to clean drinking water, and general health. People tend to think that the reduction in the death rate was all due to vaccines but that's not true. Rotavirus deaths have been greatly reduced due to better sanitation and clean drinking water for example. Rotavirus prevents one childhood illness that causes diarrhea. There are others that the vaccine does not cover. Teaching parents how to manage diarrhea and teaching them about the danger and warning signs of dehydration so that they not only know how to manage it but when to go to the hospital will reduce the death rate from diarrhea in general, not just rotavirus. Funny how my doc never discussed that.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:37 PM

78,016 posts, read 60,232,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Textbook example.

Reductio ad absurdum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.