Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 09:57 AM

2,686 posts, read 1,770,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Wait, you don't want a "penalty" against an old man playing fantasy cop that pulled out and shot a suspect because he thought he was pulling his taser? He then mocks said suspect after shooting and what is worse, the guy was already subdued by multiple officers. What was the point of killing him? You are part of what is wrong about Oklahoma and why your state will never see one cent from me. And if you can't see the difference between the state expanding social services to help its citizens versus police militarization/brutality then there is no hope for you.
Mock him? Bates was the one who immediately apologized. There was no intent to kill Harris so asking what the point of killing him is pointless. It seems that you may be allowing your bias to cloud your objectivity. This was an accident which could have easily been prevented had Harris not run. Play stupid games(run from a deputy) and win stupid prizes.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
It shouldn't matter
True, but that doesn't stop the "black lives matter" activists from criticizing the "all lives matter" people.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:02 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
Mock him? Bates was the one who immediately apologized. There was no intent to kill Harris so asking what the point of killing him is pointless. It seems that you may be allowing your bias to cloud your objectivity. This was an accident which could have easily been prevented had Harris not run. Play stupid games(run from a deputy) and win stupid prizes.
This was an accident which could have easily been prevented if Bates hadn't decided to taze a man who was already on the ground with three police officers restraining him. Bates wanted to up his involvement as a police officer, and made a mistake. That mistake was exacerbated by police officers who failed to realize the seriousness of Harris's gunshot wound.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:04 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I was just joking, but I suspected as much.

DC has it's own odor.

They must've had to import enough cloth to make a uniform that damn big. LMAO
I found his uniform....third picture down with the Metropolitan Police logo.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
This was an accident which could have easily been prevented if Bates hadn't decided to taze a man who was already on the ground with three police officers restraining him. .
If he had been restrained then there would have been no reason to use the taser. Harris brought all this on himself. He committed a crime, ran from the deputies, and then struggled with them. He was combative and got the short end of the stick, but in the end he created his own bad luck. The responsibility is entirely on Harris.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:22 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,768,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Let's get to the bottom-line here:

1) This program is going to end over this, not just in that city but anywhere else in the US that it's being practiced. If not completely ending, they will no longer be armed which is sufficient for me.

2) The family is going to collect a large settlement paid for by the taxpayers of that area. THose taxpayers should think hard about that at the ballot box.

3) The guy, if you've heard the audio tape, really did just fudge up. That being said, I'm not sure there is anything you can charge him with anymore so than the old lady that gets confused and causes a fatal traffic accident. The city put him in that role, which he was unsuited for but you can't put the city in jail. However, if he winds up doing 6-12 months in jail and then a long stint of probation then I'd have no problem with that as appropriate.
Reserve officers are an enormous cost saving measure. (Unlike Tulsa, they are mostly used in poor cities that are predominantly minority and below poverty level.) If you end it nationwide, you will see thousands of cities lose their departments, possibly go bankrupt and disincorporate. The people losing local representation because of this will be overwhelming poor minorities (meaning that a law outlawing reserve officers might technically be a disparate impact violating of civil rights laws).

Not certain about Tulsa, but in most states you cannot sue a department over the actions of a reserve officer. You can see the officer personally, but not the department.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:27 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
First, sometimes I have to wonder why you are even in this state? Secondly, in my experience, Oklahoma tends to be a rather "punitive" state. You know, the death penalty. It seems unusual that their punishments for child molesters and killer drunk drivers are less severe than other states? Especially considering Oklahoma has some of the strictest drunk-driving laws in the country(and we only allow 3.2% beer).
I wonder the same for the people in Oklahoma who are for legalizing marijuana in Oklahoma, yet like fools, often have marijuana in their possession.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Why would you remain in a place you despise?
In order to believe the beyond insane stuff that goes on in Oklahoma. And then the earthquakes. More people need to move to Oklahoma in order to believe all the stuff that goes on. Besides that, I don't live in one of the most backward counties in Oklahoma.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:31 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
73 years old?!!!!!!

So sick!

Old 04-13-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
Why did he have a gun in the first place? I expect the he and the taxpayers will be sued and they will pay big time.
I guess some donors want to be rewarded by being made deputy:
“There are lots of wealthy people in the reserve program,” he said. “Many of them make donations of items. That’s not unusual at all.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies