Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 12:02 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
It's not a predominantly black thing because the highest number of welfare recipients is white single mothers. There me be a higher incidence of absentee fathers if breaking the numbers down by racial demographic, but by sheer volume, Whitey wins the welfare title.

And race didn't create that problem, government did. The welfare state was rewarding the behavior long before the legal system was punishing it. Ghettos are fun to point at and say "look, there's the problem" but go take a tour of the local trailer park you can see from any turnpike or highway in flyover country. Lots of poverty, lots of single moms, and not a black person in sight in that sea of white people.

I got a great view of this when delivering pizzas. I had two projects and two trailers parks in our delivery zone. The trailer park was 90% poor white people, the housing projects were 90% poor black people. And I saw lots of kids and women in both areas, but not a lot of adult males.

It isn't a race thing, it's a welfare state thing. Make it profitable, comfortable and simple to be a single mother, and men with adolescent personalities will not feel a strong urge to be responsible, regardless of their skin color.
Two words: per capita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 12:03 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
It's not a predominantly black thing because the highest number of welfare recipients is white single mothers. There me be a higher incidence of absentee fathers if breaking the numbers down by racial demographic, but by sheer volume, Whitey wins the welfare title.

And race didn't create that problem, government did. The welfare state was rewarding the behavior long before the legal system was punishing it. Ghettos are fun to point at and say "look, there's the problem" but go take a tour of the local trailer park you can see from any turnpike or highway in flyover country. Lots of poverty, lots of single moms, and not a black person in sight in that sea of white people.

I got a great view of this when delivering pizzas. I had two projects and two trailers parks in our delivery zone. The trailer park was 90% poor white people, the housing projects were 90% poor black people. And I saw lots of kids and women in both areas, but not a lot of adult males.

It isn't a race thing, it's a welfare state thing. Make it profitable, comfortable and simple to be a single mother, and men with adolescent personalities will not feel a strong urge to be responsible, regardless of their skin color.
Delivery guys are a great source of data for topics like this. You get a birds eye view into the window of various family structures

Old 04-14-2015, 12:08 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
No, although as a percentage, they have a higher rate than most other races. All races have dirtbags who don't take responsibility.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:08 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,901,359 times
I suspect this would have to do with women often surpassing their mates in academic and career achievement, and so they reasonably demand to wear the pants on account of this. For especially poor families, the women are the ones getting the welfare checks, and as the providers they also demand to be the pants wearer. Most men will not be happy in that power dynamic.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:37 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
you can think all you want, unless you have the stats that prove it it's just another wacko CD opinion of Black males.
I posted stats. I showed that blacks have a much greater occurrence of single parent households.

Do you actually believe those children are most living with the fathers or mothers?

Maybe you believe that blacks are more likely to get divorced and remarried. Sorry but that's not the case either. Table 3 - Marriage and divorce: patterns by gender, race, and educational attainment : Monthly Labor Review: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

I suppose you need it spelled out a little more for you.

Fathers disappear from households across America - Washington Times

Quote:
Though income is the primary predictor, the lack of live-in fathers also is overwhelmingly a black problem, regardless of poverty status, census data show.
Quote:
In all but 11 states, most black children do not live with both parents. In every state, 7 in 10 white children do. In all states but Rhode Island and Massachusetts, most Hispanic children do. In Wisconsin, 77 percent of white children and 61 percent of Hispanics live with both parents, compared with more than 25 percent of black children.
Too many wacko people on CD don't seem to understand a problem exists.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:40 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
No, although as a percentage, they have a higher rate than most other races. All races have dirtbags who don't take responsibility.
Sorry, but it is a much greater problem for blacks, and they need to have a cultural change to reduce it.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:41 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,901,359 times
I have heard black scholars argue a conspiracy that welfare was actually designed to emasculate the black male, to prevent him from rising in society as a threat to the white man. I do not think it is a conspiracy but I agree that it has that effect.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:47 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
I have heard black scholars argue a conspiracy that welfare was actually designed to emasculate the black male, to prevent him from rising in society as a threat to the white man. I do not think it is a conspiracy but I agree that it has that effect.
Let me guess.....you were watching Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton on TV?

Old 04-14-2015, 12:47 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,528,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Two words: per capita
You just went about three miles past his mathematical comprehension.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:48 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I posted stats. I showed that blacks have a much greater occurrence of single parent households.

Do you actually believe those children are most living with the fathers or mothers?

Maybe you believe that blacks are more likely to get divorced and remarried. Sorry but that's not the case either. Table 3 - Marriage and divorce: patterns by gender, race, and educational attainment : Monthly Labor Review: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

I suppose you need it spelled out a little more for you.

Fathers disappear from households across America - Washington Times

Too many wacko people on CD don't seem to understand a problem exists.
Unfortunately, to a lot of people, facts and statistics don't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies