Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 06:34 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,833,074 times

Advertisements

Movement is 'afoot'!

Quote:
Leading experts on judicial ethics condemned his remarks, as did Commonwealth's Attorney Tom Wine and friends and family of the Grays, some of whom have started a Facebook page urging Stevens' removal from office.

He (Wine) also said that "had the assailants been old fat men with white beards, I believe the child would have the same reaction to similarly described persons."

"Judge Stevens blamed and shamed the victims," said the girl's paternal grandmother, Dawn Renee Bryant, who said her daughter-in-law cried when she read the judge's post. "It is very disturbing to be called something you are not."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 06:43 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,705,440 times
Hmmm, the judge is black. Interesting.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:45 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,833,074 times
In an email, Ronald Rotunda, a law professor at Chapman University in Orange, Calif., and the author of a widely used course book on legal ethics, said Stevens violated the Code of Judicial Conduct, both by using the prestige of his office to further his personal interests and by commenting on a pending case on Facebook.

"The judge, acting like a pop psychologist, decides to attack the little girl and her parents," Rotunda said. "Then, after the judge … has a chance to cool down … he goes on Facebook and does it all over again."

The judge should be a little more judicious.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:45 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,705,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Clearly this judge needs to be removed. You can't let a criminal go free because you get butt hurt by the victims.
Maybe Alfonso Sharpton will march in front of this guy's court and demand justice for the victims.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:46 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,234,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
It is stupid as hell and the judge is right to call them out on it.

"Black man invaded my home, therefore all black men are bad."
You have posted in other forums about the problem with tweekers in your area, and have been pretty broad brushed with negative statements about tweekers, and your concerns about break-ins and stealing your stuff, and the possible/potential danger they pose to you.

So if we change the quote slightly to "Tweekers invaded my home, therefore all tweekers are bad." which is a position you have proposed (in somewhat different words), then:

How are you any different than this family?
Would the judge be right "to call you on it?"

Or even more germaine to recent events:

"A cop shot my kid, therefore all cops are bad"

How are the Ferguson/other rioters any different than this family?
Are you pushing for the judge "to call them on it?"

I give wide lattitude to actual victims of a crime to hold all types of irrational fears/views, because the experience they went through wasn't a rational event, I do not give the general population the same pass.

For the record, if the perps were white, I do believe she (the girl in the article) would be irrationally afraid of white men, or if they were Hispanic, then Hispanic men, Asian, then Asian men.

It's a kid who went through an extremely traumatic event having internalized what is an irrational fear, not some Grand Wizard of the KKK attacking/doing violence to blacks simply for being black.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:57 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,684,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
In an email, Ronald Rotunda, a law professor at Chapman University in Orange, Calif., and the author of a widely used course book on legal ethics, said Stevens violated the Code of Judicial Conduct, both by using the prestige of his office to further his personal interests and by commenting on a pending case on Facebook.

"The judge, acting like a pop psychologist, decides to attack the little girl and her parents," Rotunda said. "Then, after the judge … has a chance to cool down … he goes on Facebook and does it all over again."

The judge should be a little more judicious.

Whether the victims are complete *******s, racists, morons, none of that matters one bit. This judge went from being an arbiter of justice to an activist, when you hand probation to a guy who held a gun to someone's face because he was a "star athlete in high school" and because his family all said that he was "a nice guy", and the focus of your ire is on how the victims of a crime are raising their children, you have absolutely no business being a judge, particularly when that individual had pled guilty and accepted a 20 year sentence before this judge stepped in.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:00 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,684,576 times
Quote:
Jeffrey Shaman, who teaches at Chicago's DePaul University law school and once ran the Center for Judicial Conduct Organizations, said judicial criticism of victim impact statements could discourage victims from "participating in the criminal justice system and ensuring that their voices will be heard."

Indiana University law professor Charles Geyh said that while it is not intrinsically wrong for a judge to criticize a victim — such as the instigator of a bar fight — given Stevens' emotional reaction in court and on Facebook, he arguably should have disqualified himself because his impartiality might be questioned.

Judge slams victims for tot's 'black men' fear

Old 04-13-2015, 07:01 PM

963 posts, read 689,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Whether the victims are complete *******s, racists, morons, none of that matters one bit. This judge went from being an arbiter of justice to an activist, when you hand probation to a guy who held a gun to a little girl's face because he was a "star athlete in high school" and because his family all said that he was "a nice guy", and the focus of your ire is on how the victims of a crime are raising their children,. you have absolutely no business being a judge.
The clown needs to be removed. He's as bad as the, dare I say it,..... THUGS

Old 04-13-2015, 07:43 PM

19,833 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Quote:
It is stupid as hell and the judge is right to call them out on it.

"Black man invaded my home, therefore all black men are bad."
Yep, the crime here is the 3 year old girl's irrational fear of black men after one broke into her home and held her and her family at gunpoint. Glad this discerning judge saw what really matters and used his power to right this egregious wrong. Too bad he couldn't lock up this criminal family.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:44 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,784,546 times
Quote:
Read carefully. That was NOT what the judge was saying.

Dad:
“This incident has had the most impact on my daughter,” Jordan Gray wrote. “She is in constant fear of black men. When we are running errands, if we come across a black male, she holds me tight and begs me to leave. If (she) is playing in a room and I walk into another, she freaks out. It has affected her friendships at school and our relationship with African American friends.”

Judge:

If the perpetrator had been white, would she be in fear of white men?

Source
It is not the judge's job to discern the racial dilemma of the family, but to mead out justice regardless of his personal ideology and opinion.

He failed miserably!

"Justice is Blind" is not just a cute saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Yep, the crime here is the 3 year old girl's irrational fear of black men after one broke into her home and held her and her family at gunpoint. Glad this discerning judge saw what really matters and used his power to right this egregious wrong. Too bad he couldn't lock up this criminal family.
EXACTLY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies