Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 07:10 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
You DO know a basic income does in fact actually require paying people....making your last comment....kind of bizzarre.

And sorry, no. currently our government funding is about 22% of GDP. 10% would not in fact be enough.
If we can't pay 18% of the population SS benefits (max about $2K/month) then we certainly can't pay 100% of the population a "basic income".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 07:13 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If we can't pay 18% of the population SS benefits (max about $2K/month) then we certainly can't pay 100% of the population a "basic income".
Good point.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:51 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, what would be our limit, if we can't produce beyond what is backed?

Not according to Opin-Yunated, he keeps saying taxes aren't necessary for the government to operate. Do you agree with him?
Yeah if you remove social security, Medicare, federal employees, highway funding, get rid of ObamaCare and do not replace with single payer universal healthcare and drastically cut the size of the armed forces.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:43 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
From your link:

LOL. cry me a river. Its not that complex, and generally the software or your accountant can deal with it.
You shouldn't need an accountant or software to do income taxes.

I am just a salaried person, married, with investment income and a few deductions. It is criminal that I can't complete my taxes in half a day.

Our tax code is a convoluted mess - a creation of Congress that wants to play God with our behavior and our money.

All deductions should away. Taxes should be unaffected by mortgages, children, medical expenses, and charity. Adjust the rates to be revenue neutral. Fraud would disappear, the IRS would shrink to almost nothing, and citizens would gain back days per year of productivity.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:45 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
If you guys are talking about tax reform, Fair Tax would be the way to go.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
If you guys are talking about tax reform, Fair Tax would be the way to go.
Yeah it is progressive for the poor and regressive on the rich. The middle class gets sick carrying the bags. Yeah THAT is the way we should change our tax structure too...

I did this before I could run the numbers but here's my numbers. We all know that it is HIGHLY unlike that a working poor family (25K a year), a lower middle class family (45k a year), a middle class family (70K a year), an upper middle class family (150K), a high income family (500k a year) and a 1% family (1m a year) spend the same percentage of income, especially when it comes to new goods and/or services. For my example the working poor spends 95% of their income, the lower middle class spends 90%, the middle class spend 75%, the upper middle class spends 50%, the high income spends 40% and the 1%er spends 45%. The Tax rates are incredibly regressive with the 1% paying 10% of their income in taxes while the working poor pays 22% (21% if they don't use the prebate.)

I attached my work. You can play around with it if you want. You'll have to change the first page which is one about a straight sales tax idea that I included as well to shoot that idea down before anyone thinks of that.
Attached Files
File Type: zip FairTax Work.zip (6.0 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by mkpunk; 04-16-2015 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: Updated with work.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:46 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Yeah it is progressive for the poor and regressive on the rich. The middle class gets sick carrying the bags. Yeah THAT is the way we should change our tax structure too...
The problem is, you liberals and democrats don't know the difference between high income and being truly wealthy. You support Obama who said he was going after the rich but he was going after upper middle class. Obama had to be laughing his ass off at you dumb asses as you believed that raising taxes on income was going after "the rich".

Old 04-16-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The problem is, you liberals and democrats don't know the difference between high income and being truly wealthy. You support Obama who said he was going after the rich but he was going after upper middle class. Obama had to be laughing his ass off at you dumb asses as you believed that raising taxes on income was going after "the rich".
Where did I ever proposal a liberal idea or claim to go after the upper middle class? Sounds to me like you are just putting words in my mouth.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:43 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Where did I ever proposal a liberal idea or claim to go after the upper middle class? Sounds to me like you are just putting words in my mouth.
"Tax the rich" Funny thing you liberals don't get is the rich don't depend on "income" and being rich (wealthy) means you have a lot of money or assets, it not INCOME. Taxing income is taxing the middle class. The rich just get around it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies