Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 10:31 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,047,898 times

Advertisements

That's a bit excessive. If you take in the average cost of living in an average american city then $40,000 (before taxes) is a living wage. That's roughly $20 per hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 10:35 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Only a liberal or a moron would not understand some people's work is generating little to no value; hence they should be paid accordingly, either very little or nothing at all.

The difference between a liberal and a moron is that the moron simply doesn't understand the issue while the liberal wants to use other people's money to pay for his/her stupidity.
Pay someone accordingly? The appropriate response to people who are not worth decent wages is to fire them -- not pay them starvation wages.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:35 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,047,898 times
I know you all are going to say "but a $20 min wage would increase cost of living" what if there was a national salary cap of a million a year? that means anything you made after that would just be redistributed among the rest of the U.S, subsequently bypassing an increase in cost of living and narrowing the wealth gap in this country, boom, done.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:37 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
So, things to follow up on in the next few years:

1. Did the company pass the cost down to the customer?
2. Is the company still in business?
3. Did everyone get a raise, as stated?

Old 04-14-2015, 10:51 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Pay someone accordingly? The appropriate response to people who are not worth decent wages is to fire them -- not pay them starvation wages.
So who's going to do the work, and how would the people you fired live?

Old 04-14-2015, 10:51 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,776 times
Good for him. Its his right to do that, but lets not pretend this is anything like a proposed minimum wage, its a wage increase at one company for 70 skilled, white-collar workers.

$15/hr is completely unrealistic anywhere but the most expensive cities. The average 1-bed apartment in Boston is three times as much as the average in Kansas City.

Minimum wage should be set on a state and city level, not Federally.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:56 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,620 times
Quote:
I completely agree. If more CEOs had his mindset, I would be the most pro-business American you can find. I would be demanding the GOP do even more to help American business. Sadly, the days when one could say what was good for business is good for America are long gone.

For decades now -- almost four -- businesses have been operating like plantations ... doing whatever it takes to enrich their owners at their workers expense. Off shore jobs to the third world? Absolutely! And I'll keep doing it until lazy American workers get with the program and accept that $2 an hour is a fair wage for peons such as them. Oh, and I'll be taking my handsome tax cut and possibly a bailout compliments of the American tax payer too.... here's a few billion for your reelection campaigns congress people .. make it happen.

This guy actually understands he doesn't need several hundred thousands of dollars a year (after a certain point, more money does not increase one's well being) if it comes at the expense of employees not having enough to not have to worry about increased rents and medical bills. He'll have the most productive, loyal work force in his industry if he makes good on his promise.
LOL
No he wont.
you understand nothing of human nature. But as if that surprises me, you are practically a communist cobb.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:45 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
if minimum wages was increase, the amount doesn't matter, then the prices of rent for apartment and houses will also increase. housing cost is based on what the market will hold not what the actual value is. so an 50% increase of income will also have a 50% increase in housing, so those making more money, still have no money

Old 04-14-2015, 03:46 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
A few weeks ago, I started a thread with the title that $15 an hour is too low, and people who are advocating for higher wages should set the benchmark higher. It looks like I'm not the only who feels this way. A firm in Seattle has decided to pay its workers $70,000 a year minimum. That works out to around $33.65 an hour, assuming a 40-hour work week. How much do you want to bet this company is going to have some of the best employees in its industry? We need more business leaders like this and fewer corporate plantation owners.
Absolutely! Why do we put up with these stingy companies that only pay $70,000 per year. They should pay everyone $200,000 per year so they can afford a vacation.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:49 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Interesting.

What will likely happen is that people will get used to that and then start griping about why it isn't more.

You could be right.

I saw this on the news and, though they were clearly happy and grateful, their reactions were understated (entitled?)

Had someone told me that my salary had just been doubled, I would have stood on my hands and spit jellybeans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies