Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 08:26 PM

79,902 posts, read 43,911,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
If some guy is walking down the street shooting a rifle into the air after robbing a store and threatening to kill himself, then as far as I'm concerned he's a deadly threat. He is just as likely to kill some innocent child with one of those stray bullets as he is to shoot an officer. Stop and think about the innocent people in the neighborhood being terrorized by this nutcase. Most murderers are mentally ill, but we don't just give them a pass and let them keep on gunning for our kids. The cops did the right thing.
No, most murderers are not mentally ill. He seemed to be a threat to himself, no one else. He could have shot at the police but didn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 08:32 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,316,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No, most murderers are not mentally ill. He seemed to be a threat to himself, no one else. He could have shot at the police but didn't.
That's ridiculous. If he shot the stolen rifle into the air, those bullets have to land somewhere. One of them could easily come down and kill a child. How is that not a threat to the community?

Cops are there to protect everyone, not just themselves. The fact that he was only shooting into the air and not at them doesn't diminish the threat to everyone else. I'm glad they ran him over and it couldn't of happened soon enough!

Old 04-15-2015, 08:33 PM

79,902 posts, read 43,911,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
Police receive a ton of training on how to deal with crazy people or people under the influence of drugs or alcohol. They also have a lot experience with them because they deal with it on a daily basis.
I'll bet no where in that training are they taught to run someone down with their car.

Quote:
Who cares if he had PTSD. He was obviously completely nuts because no sane person would do what he did. That's not the officers problem. His job was to protect the general public and enforce the law. He did his job by making a split decision that resulted in zero fatalities.
I care. We all should care.

Quote:
Had this guy stayed in one spot, law enforcement could have blocked the area and continue to negotiate with him, but he refused to listen to them and decided he wanted to walk into an area with innocent people while firing a stolen rifle. Honestly, what were those cops supposed to do? You keep saying "training," but when a crazy gunman refuses to negotiate and is headed towards innocent people, they really aren't left with too many options
You have no clue if he was anywhere near other people.

Quote:
You're probably a nice person, but you simply don't know what cops do, and why they can't always be everyone's friend. Your view of the world is not in a perspective in relation to how it actually operates, which makes scenarios like this very upsetting to you because you ultimately don't understand what this man was capable of.
My wife pays the entire police force every two weeks and I am very familiar with what they do.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:34 PM

34,258 posts, read 19,240,314 times
Quote:
I'll bet no where in that training are they taught to run someone down with their car.
Cops play GTA too you know.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:45 PM

1,160 posts, read 709,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Perp is shorthand for "perpetrator", it's NOT a slur. The rifle toting dude was def that.
Never said it was slur.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:24 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,174,523 times
Quote:

I care. We all should care.

You have no clue if he was anywhere near other people.

I care about people with PTSD in the same way that I care about schizophrenics; however, I have no problem with them being taken out the second they endanger other people just like any other rational thinking person. It's called utilitarianism. It's the basis for what free societies determine is right and wrong.

lol There is a parking lot full of cars that he flies into after being hit.

This means that people are in that area. Lets say they just continued to "negotiate" with him and someone was walking out to their car, or even worse several people come out of that building to see why there are sirens and lights.............bang bang bang

also, he already fired the rifle once. That's not a small caliber weapon. It was a 30-30, which has a maximum range of almost 3 miles.

Also, he could have open fired on the officers at any second as a form of suicide. This is actually pretty common, and he had a rifle that could easily hit any officer within 100 yards with basic shooting skills. Their vests would not stop the bullet either. Facing a crazy guy with a high powered rifle, is a much more serious situation than facing some gang banger with a pistol.

think about that for a second

Last edited by lucky4life; 04-15-2015 at 10:37 PM..

Old 04-16-2015, 01:30 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,130,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Why do you say that? Seriously for all we know the guy is diabetic and was having a low blood sugar episode.

Mind you-im not saying the cops actions were wrong, but wishing death on the guy seems excessive til we know more.
Because idiots who perpetrate such actions tend to reoffend.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:26 AM

28,841 posts, read 30,100,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
My opinion of the video shifted 180 degrees once I saw that the suspect had a rifle to his head and then earlier had been shooting into the air. The police would have been justified in shooting him. Running him down with a patrol car was unique problem solving but caused damage the taxpayers will have to pay. Still, if the guy lived maybe that was best. Then again, if he ends up suing, again the tax payers will have to pay. Why didn't they just shoot him again?
Icy, you may already know this, but talking about the taxpayers money?
I don't believe most people realize, how many times one man like this is arrested...
The repeated offenders also cost the taxpayers a lot of money....
lots...think about it, he gets arrested, we pay for his public defender,
his time in prison, once he is under arrest, we pay for everything...
Then the gobs of paperwork, plus the people he has assulted?
My son tells me you wouldn't believe how many times people are repeated offenders....

Then some judge sets him free again????

Our systems are broken

Old 04-16-2015, 06:45 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,012,865 times
Before I get all outraged about this apparent case of police brutality, I need to know the race of both the perp and the cop.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:31 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,820,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Icy, you may already know this, but talking about the taxpayers money?
I don't believe most people realize, how many times one man like this is arrested...
The repeated offenders also cost the taxpayers a lot of money....
lots...think about it, he gets arrested, we pay for his public defender,
his time in prison, once he is under arrest, we pay for everything...
Then the gobs of paperwork, plus the people he has assulted?
My son tells me you wouldn't believe how many times people are repeated offenders....

Then some judge sets him free again????

Our systems are broken
There is a guy in our area that was deemed incompetent to stand trial back in the 90's. He was arrested or cited 90 times since, they kept releasing him. He knew as long as the crimes were non violent they couldn't touch him, shoplifting etc. It finally caught up with last month, his girlfriend said he pulled a knife on her during a bad drug deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies