Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 04:03 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times

Advertisements

"The discovery of WMD in Iraq only slightly vindicates him (Bush)"

LOL Someone tell Bush we found what we went there for, because he still thinks there were no WMDs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 04:14 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
I would group all Conservative presidents as a tie for SECOND TO LAST, with Dubya bringing up the rear.

President Obama easily the best we've had.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:17 PM

752 posts, read 566,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
"nothing but a liberal ranking. after all, with fdr being placed at #3 and being one of the worst presidents ever, only ahead of wilson, carter and obama, i do not see how that site could ever be taken seriously."
Among serious people, there's little debate that the top three spots are occupied, in some order, by Lincoln, Washington, and FDR.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:23 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drishmael View Post
Among serious people, there's little debate that the top three spots are occupied, in some order, by Lincoln, Washington, and FDR.
We are still suffering from the fall out that was fdr.

Of the last 100 years I would say fdr and lbj have been the most detrimental to this country.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:03 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
I would group all Conservative presidents as a tie for SECOND TO LAST, with Dubya bringing up the rear.

President Obama easily the best we've had.
still suffering from dementia i see.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
"We are still suffering from the fall out that was fdr.

Of the last 100 years I would say fdr and lbj have been the most detrimental to this country."
Opposition to Social Security, Medicare, and Civil Rights certainly exists, but it's so meager it isn't worth considering in the context of a presidential ranking. You're free to make your own ranking with FDR, LBJ, Wilson, TR, and Lincoln taking up the rear, just recognize it's a fringe opinion with very little support.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:33 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,300,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Carter is way down the list but he is the only President who didn't take us into any wars.
He was too busy wrecking the economy and whipping up inflation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drishmael View Post
Among serious people there is little doubt FDR was one of the worst.

He destroyed federalism, intimidated the SCOTUS into accepting his unconstitutional programs, ran for reelection when he was so sick and condemned millions of people to decades of misery when he got snookered by Stalin at Yalta. The country is still suffering from the worst of FDRs programs.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:38 PM

2,919 posts, read 1,984,560 times
Certainly wouldn't be my rankings, but it is subjective. FDR would be at the top for me, the current president would be at the bottom, possibly tied with some others. The elder Bush and Clinton were definitely ranked way too high. Of the Presidents in my lifetime Nixon was the best after Reagan. Watergate ruined his reputation obviously, but when it came to policy making he was smarter and more effective than most. LBJ was absolutely terrible, ranked way too high. He'd give Obama company at the bottom of my rankings.

Edit to add: millercenter.org is a website with a lot of presidential history information, including speeches made by the presidents. Includes text of the speeches, sound, and tv (of the ones who served in the television age).

And I see the rich still have hatred for FDR, even today. Well, Franklin did a lot of great things for millions of Americans, solved a banking crises, helped people during the Great Depression, helped bring electric power to rural areas, and led the country masterfully through WWII. Not to mention Social Security has helped millions of citizens throughout the decades survive during their senior years, and also freed up jobs for the younger generation when the elderly were able to retire on S.S., which was one of SS's purposes. Only problem with FDR is he couldn't live forever and remain President. If he had this country wouldn't be in such awful shape thanks to Republicans and Democrats. Truman and Eisenhower were good, Nixon ok, Reagan ok on certain things, Ford was basically a lame duck, but the rest were terrible in my opinion, even JFK who many idolize.

Last edited by OhioJB; 04-16-2015 at 06:52 PM..

Old 04-16-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
"Among serious people there is little doubt FDR was one of the worst."
Then I'll have to assume that presidential historians aren't serious people, whereas armchair dilettantes are.

Quote:
"He destroyed federalism ..."
Nah, you're thinking of Abraham Lincoln.

Quote:
"... and condemned millions of people to decades of misery when he got snookered by Stalin at Yalta."
Snookered? Again, reality: the Red Army was the largest army in history and it was concentrated in the European AO. Having just triumphed over Germany, I'm sure hundreds of thousands or millions of Americans were interested in sacrificing their lives so that the people of Belarus could be free of Soviet influence /s.

Quote:
"The country is still suffering from the worst of FDRs programs."
Your opinion is so fringe that not even Ted Cruz is brave/stupid enough to publicly state it.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:47 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
nothing but a liberal ranking. after all, with fdr being placed at #3 and being one of the worst presidents ever, only ahead of wilson, carter and obama, i do not see how that site could ever be taken seriously.
So you admit that Obama is nowhere near as liberal as FDR, and is quite well to the right of him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies