Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 11:21 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
We are still suffering from the fall out that was fdr.

Of the last 100 years I would say fdr and lbj have been the most detrimental to this country.
there are multiple list of rankings of Presidents from groups that range the entire political spectrum.

The lowest I have ever seen FDR on any of those list is 3. Your personal opinion is noted, but the consensus seems to be against you, even among conservatives. Heck even the WSJ has FDR 3rd and they are owned by Murdock/News Corp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Carter is down because a Peanut Farmer/Nuclear Scientist brought his "Georgia Mafia" (press term) into the White House and they attempted to Micro-Manage everything. They didn't have a smidgeon of knowledge to do this and it was a total failure. Oddly enough, this list claims that Carter was the only President to attempt this debacle ....... but it's EXACTLY what TeamObama has attempted and it's a big reason why he will rank near the bottom.

This is the money quote from the article ....... it wasn't attributed to Obama, but it's true of the most incompetent of many Presidents - Obama included. I remember IKE as President, I've followed them all since him. I don't remember a more incompetent Team than Team Obama. Those that had ANY knowledge of how Government runs, how Laws are passed .... were either kicked to the curb early OR got out as soon as they had a chance to do so. Nobody exists in a bigger Bubble than Obama - disagree with him/Valerie/Michelle and you are run over by the Team Bus.

"He wasn’t incompetent but he surrounded himself with incompetents. Had he picked a better cabinet he might have gone down in history as a better president. He didn’t and he won’t."
None of the people you specifically named serve in President Obama's cabinet, they are a spouse and advisor. If you honestly believe what you said, you need to support your claim by actually mentioning someone within the cabinet and why they are not qualified. You also need to compare that to previous presidents.

the same goes if you actually meant advisers, and not the cabinet

Old 04-16-2015, 11:34 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drishmael View Post
Among serious people, there's little debate that the top three spots are occupied, in some order, by Lincoln, Washington, and FDR.

really? the only thing that saved fdr was WW2. up until then, the unemployment rate was higher than when he took office.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
really? the only thing that saved fdr was WW2. up until then, the unemployment rate was higher than when he took office.
The government didnt keep unemployment rate numbers back then, nor have I ever seen any that go back to the 1930's, so can you back up that claim ?

also, the overall claim is false.

FDR was re elected in 1936 with 60% of the vote and 11 million more votes than his opponent. He was obviously doing something right and that was way before WW2 broke out.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:54 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The government didnt keep unemployment rate numbers back then, nor have I ever seen any that go back to the 1930's, so can you back up that claim ?
really? no unemployment numbers for the great depression?

Unemployment Statistics during the Great Depression

Old 04-17-2015, 12:22 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,978,549 times
Quote:
there are multiple list of rankings of Presidents from groups that range the entire political spectrum.

The lowest I have ever seen FDR on any of those list is 3. Your personal opinion is noted, but the consensus seems to be against you, even among conservatives. Heck even the WSJ has FDR 3rd and they are owned by Murdock/News Corp.
The WSJ is a corporatist rag so that is not surprising. I don't really care what people say, if you look at historical fact, FDR was not that great of a president. Unemployment rates actually went up when he took office.
https://mises.org/library/new-deal-debunked-again
https://mises.org/library/how-fdr-made-depression-worse

Also read "The History of the Great Depression" by Murray Rothbard.

Old 04-17-2015, 12:23 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,978,549 times
Quote:

also, the overall claim is false.

FDR was re elected in 1936 with 60% of the vote and 11 million more votes than his opponent. He was obviously doing something right and that was way before WW2 broke out.
By your logic Ronald Reagan was a really great president too. After all he crushed his opponents in both elections. In 1984 he only lost D.C. and Minnesota.

Old 04-17-2015, 12:24 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,429,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
Grover Cleveland and Calvin Coolidge are some of my favorite presidents from history. Calvin Coolidge may be the last conservative president we've had that actually stuck to his principles and didn't expand the government (I'm looking at you Reagan).
Cons sure have changed since Calvin Coolidge. This is from his 1923 State of the Union address

For purposes of national uniformity we ought to provide, by constitutional amendment and appropriate legislation, for a limitation of child labor, and in all cases under the exclusive jurisdiction of the Federal Government a minimum wage law for women, which would undoubtedly find sufficient power of enforcement in the influence of public opinion

Old 04-17-2015, 12:41 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,429,059 times
In the same address he also calls for a World Court of Justice,

This part here I think today's cons would call racist
"Already a considerable sum is appropriated to give the negroes vocational training in agriculture. About half a million dollars is recommended for medical courses at Howard University to help contribute to the education of 500 colored doctors needed each year"

Calls for more regulations
"Cooperation with other maritime powers is necessary for complete protection of our coast waters from. pollution. Plans for this are under way, but await certain experiments for refuse disposal. Meantime laws prohibiting spreading oil and oil refuse from vessels in our own territorial waters would be most helpful against this menace and should be speedily enacted.

Laws should be passed regulating aviation.

Revision is needed of the laws regulating radio interference.

Legislation and regulations establishing load liner, to provide safe loading of vessels leaving our ports are necessary and recodification of our navigation laws is vital.

Revision of procedure of the Federal Trade Commission will give more constructive purpose to this department.

If our Alaskan fisheries are to be saved from destruction, there must be further legislation declaring a general policy and delegating the authority to make rules and regulations to an administrative body."

A call for a who new Cabinet level department
"Having in mind that education is peculiarly a local problem, and that it should always be pursued with the largest freedom of choice by students and parents, nevertheless, the Federal Government might well give the benefit of its counsel and encouragement more freely in this direction. If anyone doubts the need of concerted action by the States of the Nation for this purpose, it is only necessary to consider the appalling figures of illiteracy representing a condition which does not vary much in all parts of the Union. I do not favor the making of appropriations from the National Treasury to be expended directly on local education, but I do consider it a fundamental requirement of national activity which, accompanied by allied subjects of welfare, is worthy of a separate department and a place in the Cabinet. The humanitarian side of government should not be repressed, but should be cultivated."

Old 04-17-2015, 05:54 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drishmael View Post
We Obama cultists have at least one advantage over you Bush cultists: there are about twice as many of us.
Bush had no significant cult following; that's already obvious to anyone over the age of 12. And I am certainly not part of one.
Thanks for admitting participation in the mindless O-cult, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies