Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 06:02 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Not if his business services the public. You cannot deny service to someone because of something they are born with. Why the business owner cares about the sexual orientation of a paying customer is beyond me.
Let me ask you something, would you really want to buy a cake or take your car to someone that is being forced to serve you? Keep in mind they no longer have the option of refusing you service so you are going to have no idea what their views are. If you were the KKK do you think it would be a good idea to get a cake baked at a Jewish bakery? Just taking a wild guess but I'd bet there is going to be some special ingredients in that cake.

It's better these people are exposed for who they are, take your business elsewhere. Why would you want to put money into the pockets of someone that doesn't want your business becsue of who you are? That makes no sense to me.

Last edited by thecoalman; 04-16-2015 at 06:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 06:04 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
Quote:
I would say the same about Muslims or Jews trying to deny service to others for idiotic reasons.
Which is still illegal. But how many people in this country actually live near a Muslim or Jewish established business? Probably a whole lot less than any Christian one. So of course the media isn't going to focus on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Making excuses for having a double standard is dumb. If the media is ignoring Muslims in all of this, then they're being intentionally anti-Christian biased. We don't know how the laws and rules for all of this are going to shake out. There's a very real Constitutional conflict here. Freedom of religion vs equal protection under law. But whenever the rules and legalities do get sorted out, it must be enforced equally for Muslims, Jews, Christians, Buddhists, Hindus, etc.

Democrats would prefer to protect devout Muslims and Orthodox Jews from any law that forces them to do anything the feel is against their religion. Why? Because Jews and Muslims are heavily allied with the Democrats.
It's not a double standard because it's not even the same issue. Christians, Muslims, and Jews are free to practice their religion. Usually at a religious establishment or at home. It is actually against the Constitution for religion to be practiced through government. As in, the government can't force everyone to go to church on Sunday or abide by Christian beliefs.

Businesses that aren't religious establishments (i.e., any place that pays taxes) have no authority to discriminate against their customers on the basis or race, gender, or orientation, or age. If it's really that hard for a business to operate without going against their owners belief, then maybe they should exercise the freedom to close their business and do something else.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:04 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
He's not shy about it either. He's really putting it out there citing his...what else? Christian faith (of course)!

You know...hate the sin, but "love the sinner." RIGHT?

From USA Today

Mich. shop owner refuses 'openly gay' people

Mich. shop owner allows guns, refuses 'openly gay' people
the guy deserves to lose his business.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
So you see nothing wrong with a Muslim cabdriver refusing to carry someone who's carrying alcohol or who has a dog?
That's going to be entirely dependent on where the service is located. If government is limiting the service and only issuing X amount cab licenses which is often the case then they should not be able to refuse to anyone. If it's a free market sytem and anyone can set up a cab company with an unlimited amount of cabs then certainly they should be able to refuse service to people. Some other company will step in and provide service.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:11 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Let me ask you something, would you really want to buy a cake or take your car to someone that is being forced to serve you? Keep in mind they no longer have the option of refusing you service so you are going to have no idea what their views are. If you were like the KKK do you think it would be a good idea to get a cake baked at a Jewish bakery? Just taking a wild guess but I'd bet there is going to be some special ingredients in that cake.

It's better these people are exposed for who they are, take your business elsewhere. Why would you want to put money into the pockets of someone that doesn't want your business becsue of who you are? That makes no sense to me.
No one is forced to own a business or work a job. It's usually something they sign up for. If they are being forced, then it's illegal and the business will be shut down.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:13 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Maybe he doesn't know anything about Priuses or the VW Jetta.
HAHAHA... good one.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:32 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Let me ask you something, would you really want to buy a cake or take your car to someone that is being forced to serve you? Keep in mind they no longer have the option of refusing you service so you are going to have no idea what their views are. If you were the KKK do you think it would be a good idea to get a cake baked at a Jewish bakery? Just taking a wild guess but I'd bet there is going to be some special ingredients in that cake.

I wouldn't want that business to still be in business if it was discriminating against its clientele. I wouldn't just take my business elsewhere, I would let others know how and why their service is awful and how poorly their business practice is. That is how capitalism functions.

Though if a member of the KKK wanted a birthday cake that said "Happy Birthday Steve!" on it, I would expect the Jewish baker to still be able to bake that cake for the simple fact that the baker offers birthday cakes.

If a business has a problem with other people's sexual orientation, then it might be best if that business doesn't question what any of their paying customers' sexual orientation is.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:36 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
'Murica

Old 04-16-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't want that business to still be in business if it was discriminating against its clientele. I wouldn't just take my business elsewhere, I would let others know how and why their service is awful and how poorly their business practice is. That is how capitalism functions.
Almost accurate, the only thing missing in this thought is you no longer have the ability to determine they are discriminatory when you force them to act non discriminatory. This really makes no sense to me.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:40 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Not if his business services the public. You cannot deny service to someone because of something they are born with. Why the business owner cares about the sexual orientation of a paying customer is beyond me.
Then why would a customer feel the need to make it known to a mechanic, or anyone else he/she/it may conduct business with on exactly how they need to use their genitalia in (what should be) the privacy of a bedroom?

Why does this need to be a public issue? Other than the drama that they all seem to feed on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies