Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 12:57 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,516,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That's EXACTLY what he said.
I read it again since I posted previously. "Openly gay" is somewhat vague and while that is not EXACTLY what he said, it is too close for my liking. I am not inclined to defend this particular merchant's policy, or his claim that this policy is motivated by any legitimate religious objection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 12:58 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
There are not going to be hardly any mechanics that are going to want to refuse them service, as long as they are not acting badly, as the primary motivation of nearly all entrepreneurs is to provide a service in return for money. There are almost no Christians or Christian merchants who will want to do this as they do not want to have any unnecessary unpleasantness with these people or with anyone else. Also, there is no legitimate religious basis for treating a sinner this way who is not engaged in any sinful or otherwise offensive activity.

They will not have any trouble getting their car fixed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
There is no gay mechanics? I would never refuse anyone business as long as they have the green. Someone is going to take advantage of that.
Like I said, if there is a blanket right for mechanics to refuse then it is conceivable. Sure it's unlikely, but unlikely things do happen. Example: The small town of Codell, Kansas, was hit by a tornado on the same date (May 20) three consecutive years: 1916, 1917, and 1918. What do you think the odds against that string of events was?

Sure there's going to be somebody who will fix the hypothetical rainbow painted car with the "WE R GAY" license plate. But it's also possible that nobody within 100+ miles will do it. Think highly rural highly religious areas. It's also possible that the only mechanic who will help them is the guy who massively overcharges for everything.

Car repairs are a lousy thing to basis for refusing gay customers. This guy will inevitably gain customers, particularly thanks to the publicity and the threats made on his business, his home, his family and his own life. But I don't think he has the right to refuse to serve gay customers.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:01 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
People care because one, they don't like discriminatory practices perpetrated against other people, and two, because they might belong to the group facing discrimination.
If you are gay why would you want to give this guy money and secondly wouldn't you want to know he doesn't want your business. I'm going to say it again, this makes no sense to me. Forcing him to provide service is not going to change his attitude and you're just going to end up with crappy service anyway.

Quote:
As a white male, you know damn well that you'll never have to deal with such a humiliating experience, therefore it's easy for you to be insouciant about it. You'll never have to "take your business elsewhere" because no one rejects the business of white males. You know this to be true whether you admit it or not.
Actually I have because of my ethnicity but that was all relatively minor and years ago. One time me and my cousin tried to get room in Phoenix and they apparently thought we were gay and wouldn't rent it. LOL

Quote:
After all, this doesn't have a damn thing to do with his "Christian beliefs." There's not a single edict in the Bible justifying a refusal of service to someone looking for a mechanic. If there is, then Christianity is a bigger joke than I thought it was.

If folks are gonna defend Christianity, they need to do a better job than what you're doing.
I'm not trying to defend Christianity or what his beliefs are. My point is it's his business and he should run it as he sees fit.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Like I said, if there is a blanket right for mechanics to refuse then it is conceivable. Sure it's unlikely, but unlikely things do happen. Example: The small town of Codell, Kansas, was hit by a tornado on the same date (May 20) three consecutive years: 1916, 1917, and 1918. What do you think the odds against that string of events was?

Sure there's going to be somebody who will fix the hypothetical rainbow painted car with the "WE R GAY" license plate. But it's also possible that nobody within 100+ miles will do it. Think highly rural highly religious areas. It's also possible that the only mechanic who will help them is the guy who massively overcharges for everything.

Car repairs are a lousy thing to basis for refusing gay customers. This guy will inevitably gain customers, particularly thanks to the publicity and the threats made on his business, his home, his family and his own life. But I don't think he has the right to refuse to serve gay customers.
From a Christian perspective, a "legal requirement" or the "right to refuse" should not come into play, as long as the customers are not conducting themselves in an offensive manner, and are not engaging in sinful activity or requesting the merchant to associate with the same.

That being said, in your example you went out of your way to make the homosexual's car offensive and "in your face". Likewise, if someone has a "Satan rules" license plate and pictures of blasphemous images on the side of their van, I would not expect the merchant to service that vehicle either. The homosexual's car is a borderline issue, and some Christians would service it, while others would not.

If you think you are going to be able to force this kind of work on people who are truly offended by it on a religious basis, I think you are going to be mistaken. If this is pushed, it is going to backfire on these people big-time, and possibly in ways that include extreme violence. Mark it down. You really do not want to push this, whether you realize it now or not.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:32 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:
From a Christian perspective, a "legal requirement" or the "right to refuse" should not come into play, as long as the customers are not conducting themselves in an offensive manner, and are not engaging in sinful activity or requesting the merchant to associate with the same.

That being said, in your example you went out of your way to make the homosexual's car offensive and "in your face". Likewise, if someone has a "Satan rules" license plate and pictures of blasphemous images on the side of their van, I would not expect the merchant to service that vehicle either. The homosexual's car is a borderline issue, and some Christians would service it, while others would not.

If you think you are going to be able to force this kind of work on people who are truly offended by it on a religious basis, I think you are going to be mistaken. If this is pushed, it is going to backfire on these people big-time, and possibly in ways that include extreme violence. Mark it down. You really do not want to push this, whether you realize it now or not.
I used it as an example because it's something that I can definitely see happening. There are those who go way overboard in their show of gay pride. And the odds of them being refused service goes way way up because of it. Honestly, how else can a car mechanic tell if they're gay? It would take an example this extreme for car repairs to ever be an issue.

It's unlikely that we ever see such a case unless the LGBT intentionally fabricates one.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I used it as an example because it's something that I can definitely see happening. There are those who go way overboard in their show of gay pride. And the odds of them being refused service goes way way up because of it. Honestly, how else can a car mechanic tell if they're gay? It would take an example this extreme for car repairs to ever be an issue.

It's unlikely that we ever see such a case unless the LGBT intentionally fabricates one.
Yep. All they have to do is take their car to the Firestone or the Pep Boys and they will have no problems. If they take their car around to small merchants until they find one who is offended by it, then that will be an example of just what you are describing here.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:03 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
This guy also said that he will not sign for a business license because it violates his civil rights.

Maybe he should not bring attention to himself if he is operating a business without a license.

Watch anti-gay auto shop owner tell city leaders he won't seek business license | MLive.com

Old 04-17-2015, 02:10 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbenator View Post
Good for him. Would you criticize him for refusing to serve a murderer? A pedophile? A rapist?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmdiqB_8l2k
How about fat people and anyone who has sex before marriage or has divorced? As long as he's willing do not serve anyone who has violated any principle in the Bible.then he is not a big giant homophobic idiotic hypocrite.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
This guy also said that he will not sign for a business license because it violates his civil rights.

Maybe he should not bring attention to himself if he is operating a business without a license.

Watch anti-gay auto shop owner tell city leaders he won't seek business license | MLive.com
Yep. It sounds like what this guy really wants to do is self destruct. Perhaps the responsibilities of owning his own business are more than he can bear and this is his strategy - perhaps subconsciously - to get out. The license thing may very well be the end for him.

And his refusal to get a license because of civil liberties concerns is a libertarian argument and not a religious argument. Same with his statements about not being willing to serve homosexuals during the ordinary course of business, as there is no legitimate religious basis for that, either.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:44 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
For the first time ever, I agree with the preponderance of one of your posts.

The one part I am not convinced about at all is whether two homosexuals with diesel engine problems might go into a dealership like this "kissing all over each other," or something like that. Homosexuals are notorious for getting in people's faces with their own brand of repulsive and offensive behavior. If they did behave that way, it would not be unreasonable for the owner to refuse them service and ask them to leave.

Barring something like that, not only is there no religious basis, I would be very disappointed if the owner and staff were not sincerely pleased to have these two as paying customers. Their money spends just as good as anyone elses.
Lemme just get this outta the way....because I have to tell folks this all the time....

There should be no expectations that we'll ALWAYS disagree on everything under the sun.

Therefore, if you agree with me, it's really unnecessary to give me the preamble about "for the first time ever" or "geez...we agree on something for once" and the like. If you agree...say you agree and leave it at that.

To the topic at hand...I disagree with you that the average homosexual is into blatant acts of open affection in public places. The chance that some gay guy is gonna come into a diesel repair shop acting flamboyant is about 0%. It's ridiculous to even bring it up or ponder it. It ain't gonna happen.

If this were a clothing boutique, a jewelry store, or candy shop, that would be one thing. But a repair shop ain't the setting for it.

Otherwise, I agree with your overall premise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies