Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2015, 08:29 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And back to being unrealistic. Why not a billion/hour?
Exactly. How do you decide that $15 is good but more than that is bad?

Your argument is pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 08:36 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer

I have no issue with establishing a stipend for every citizen. However they shouldn't be allowed to vote and any children they have must be put in government foster care or adoption. If they commit crime, there should be mandatory sentence.

I am keenly aware that some people aren't worth anything.

Quote:
Wow, you seriously just said that?
Instead of slapping yourself on the head, you should form a rebuttal to the points that you disagree with. What he wrote is pretty much in line with the policies that Singapore has in effect now. Laborers are given government housing, which is subject to inspections with strict standards. Guest workers are forbidden from having children and women who get pregnant are deported. Those who overstay their visas are caned. And Singapore is a well run country with a high standard of living and thriving economy.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:42 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Wow, you seriously just said that?
What are you trying to say?

Old 04-25-2015, 08:44 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

so technology changes, and people have to adapt to those changes. mcdonalds for instance is experimenting with using robots to make and serve their products, and while that means that fast food worker jobs are being eliminated, someone has to repair and reprogram those robots, as well as build them. so right there is a job opportunity for you. get in on the ground floor now, learn robotics and computer programming, and you will be in the first wave of people being able to service and build these machines, perhaps you might even be on the ground floor of designing these machines.
Sure, the average McDonald's worker is going to learn robotics and computer programming. What fantasy world do you live in?

Quote:
the point here is that YOU are the one that needs to figure out what jobs are going to be needed in the future, and then get an education that will let you go after those jobs.

another job area you might consider, medical technician. they do all kinds of things from drawing blood, to sticking people with needles for dialysis, to running lab tests, etc.
From burger flipping to phlebotomy. Yes, those are the people I want drawing my blood.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:16 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,820 times
Quote:
eventually. job markets change all the time with changes in technology. for instance, how many buggy whip manufacturers are there today? they were all over the place at the latter part of the 19th century. or take the studebaker company, they started way back in the 1850s(?) making conestoga wagons, and made the switch to building cars, before being shut down by their last parent company (GE) for not making enough money each year, in 1966. or how about a company called leoni cable. they started back in the late 1600s, i think, making rope cables for ships, but as technology changed over the years, they made steel cable, synthetic rope, and wiring harnesses for a variety of applications. or how about IBM. they started off making offie equipment, and now they are one of the largest computer firms on the planet.

so technology changes, and people have to adapt to those changes. mcdonalds for instance is experimenting with using robots to make and serve their products, and while that means that fast food worker jobs are being eliminated, someone has to repair and reprogram those robots, as well as build them. so right there is a job opportunity for you. get in on the ground floor now, learn robotics and computer programming, and you will be in the first wave of people being able to service and build these machines, perhaps you might even be on the ground floor of designing these machines.

the point here is that YOU are the one that needs to figure out what jobs are going to be needed in the future, and then get an education that will let you go after those jobs.

another job area you might consider, medical technician. they do all kinds of things from drawing blood, to sticking people with needles for dialysis, to running lab tests, etc.
I am not sure you understand just how many jobs technology is gonna eliminate. Sure if fast food restaurants get robots they will need fixed but that will take what 1 maybe 2 people for each store certainly not the amont of staff that was working there before. It seems you do not want to deal with how technology is effecting others you just want to blame others for not adapting so you do not have to anything.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:56 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Sure, the average McDonald's worker is going to learn robotics and computer programming. What fantasy world do you live in?

From burger flipping to phlebotomy. Yes, those are the people I want drawing my blood.
you dont seem to have much faith in people and their abilities do you? perhaps that is the difference between conservatives and liberals. us conservatives believe that people can improve their lot in life if they are willing to put forth the effort, but apparently liberals still cling to the victim mentality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
I am not sure you understand just how many jobs technology is gonna eliminate. Sure if fast food restaurants get robots they will need fixed but that will take what 1 maybe 2 people for each store certainly not the amont of staff that was working there before. It seems you do not want to deal with how technology is effecting others you just want to blame others for not adapting so you do not have to anything.
i understand how technology affects others, i also know that with new technologies brings new opportunities, one just has to go out and find those opportunities and take advantage of them. sorry to disappoint you, but i am no ludite.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:05 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I have no interest in discussing your zoning issue. You are more than welcome to open a separate topic.

I'm not discussing zoning, I'm discussing your inconsistent reasoning.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:26 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
So, $15 per hour is good, but anything above that is bad. Your logic is self serving.

Sorry, but if a minimum wage of $15 is good for the country, then a minimum wage of $150 must be nirvana.
Why do people say nonsense like this? Seriously.

Hey water is great for you. not enough..and you die....too much...and you die.

minimum wage is a lot like this.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:33 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
So, $15 per hour is good, but anything above that is bad. Your logic is self serving.

Sorry, but if a minimum wage of $15 is good for the country, then a minimum wage of $150 must be nirvana.
Actually I have never said $15/hr is good for the country right now. I do think we should be raising the federal minimum wage because it is currently too low, and there are a number of states that should be pushing their minimum wage up to $15/hr.

This $150/hr nonsense is nothing more than a red herring.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:37 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Instead of slapping yourself on the head, you should form a rebuttal to the points that you disagree with. What he wrote is pretty much in line with the policies that Singapore has in effect now. Laborers are given government housing, which is subject to inspections with strict standards. Guest workers are forbidden from having children and women who get pregnant are deported. Those who overstay their visas are caned. And Singapore is a well run country with a high standard of living and thriving economy.
Because public housing works so well in this country as well as stripping rights from people who are working class poor. Also, where are we going to deport natural born American citizens? The nonsense I read on this site is just laughable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies