Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 02:39 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,209,486 times

Advertisements

American Politics: Why the Thrill Is Gone - The New Yorker

This is true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 06:17 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,967,414 times
It will end for me if we get Bush or Clinton as out choices.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:21 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,959,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
It will end for me if we get Bush or Clinton as out choices.
My guess is you will have a lot of company! If these two are our choices, we know the system is rigged. No way, are Americans looking to either one of these leading us in 2016.......just no way!

Old 04-28-2015, 07:38 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,967,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
My guess is you will have a lot of company! If these two are our choices, we know the system is rigged. No way, are Americans looking to either one of these leading us in 2016.......just no way!
We agree on that, if that is the point we have come to then the writing is on the wall that we are done as Greatest Nation on Earth. Happens to all great Nations sooner or later, and I am glad me and mine live in the area we do, Texans and those that end up with us will do fine in the long run.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:12 AM

14,004 posts, read 5,655,635 times
The thrill in politics is gone for the same reason the thrill in professional boxing is gone - we've all pretty much accepted the entire game is rigged by the big money power brokers, so what we see at the podium or in the ring is essentially WWE-esque theater of the absurd with very little meaning in any of our lives.

I know ahead of time that no matter who wins, even in the list of fringe, never-heard-of-them candidates, they'll govern the same because the Faceless Bureaucracy and Regulatory State Doing the Bidding of the Big Money Power Brokers is who runs the country and no matter who is in charge, nothing with the real tyrants ever changes. If Money beats Pacquiao or vice versa, the Mob wins. Saturday night will be just much a scripted, predetermined outcome as November 2016 and the four years that follows it will be.

If you understand this, then what thrill could politics ever have? Picking a new floor cleaner is more exciting.

If I know ahead of time that even the most libertarian minded candidate (Rand Paul in this election) will end up agreeing to one of Ryan's utilitarian budgets that balances in the year 2163, and pays the debt down by the year 4902, and does so by reducing the theoretically increase to medical device payments in Medicare by 0.00003% for the two fiscal years of 2093-2094, assuming a filibuster proof majority in the Senate for the GOP and the US dollar trading against the Euro at or better than 1:1....well who really cares who's elected?

If I know ahead of time that the biggest anti-corporate candidate the Democrats have (Elizabeth Warren in this election, if she ran) is a freaking street dealer for the ExIm Bank drug lords, and a puppet of the Northeast corporate crony estate, sorry if I find the Democrat populism and :fight for the middle class" not just a little full of sheeeeet.

Pelosi squawked from the rooftops in 2007 about the secret, common sense plan to get gasoline under $2 a gallon again and give the big fat what for the Bush and oil cronies...and by the end of her first sting as Speaker, gas prices had doubled. Ryan is the GOP's wunderkind, and he's yet to produce a budget that cuts even a single line of the budget to less than what it was the year before...and he's the alleged economic uber-genius of the GOP. Reid rails against the Koch Brothers, while being bankrolled by the Nevada gambling cartels. Ted Cruz was for immigration before he was against it which was before he was ambivalent about but before he was....wait, where am I again? Etc etc etc.

I won't even run down HRC or Jeb, because their combined level of "full of sheeeeet" is so big it could be another moon orbiting the planet.

And that's what you're picking - whose particular brand of lie you find appealing, all while knowing nothing will change eve a little among the tyrant class. Nothing thrilling about it.

The last thrilling candidate the country saw was H Ross Perot. Still full of crap, but at least he spent mostly his own money, and he was legitimately not D or R, and actually got a lot of votes that made the other two parties sweat.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:19 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,845,861 times
Number 7 is spot on. I think the political landscape would change for the better if that happened. I could see the anger and hatred on both sides being brought down a notch and maybe there could be some polite political discussions again.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:26 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,776,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I don't think the system is rigged at all. The "system" is millions of ignorant voters. Obama proved that. Twice.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:01 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,958,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I don't think the system is rigged at all. The "system" is millions of ignorant voters. Obama proved that. Twice.
LOL. Because Romney would have been any different? They were both funded by Goldman Sachs.

It's pathetic that people actually defend these puppets and still believe one side of the coin is different than the other after all these decades. How stupid are people?

The millions of ignorant voters aren't exposed to any candidate that is not already approved by the corporate media, so it becomes an uphill battle from the start.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:05 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,663,169 times
If the states got rid of party designation along with the straight ballot option in general elections, some of the thrill would return.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:52 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,845,861 times
That was proposed here and all hell broke loose. I agree that it should be done. It would require voters to either know what they're voting for, or just blindly choose. Of Course, we will still have people outside the polling places handing out "voting guides."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies