Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 03:12 PM

15,952 posts, read 7,015,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
2008: McCain, born in Panama

2012: Romney, born in Mexico

And now, they're all weak-kneed for Rafael Cruz, the Canadian born immigrant son of Cuban immigrants.

Seems there was a kerfuffle just a few years ago amongst the rabid right about our current president, who was born in Hawaii.
Hawaii is in america?! Since when did that happen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 03:14 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,527,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Mitt Romney was born in Detroit - you must be confused and thinking of his father, George, who was born in Mexico.

PS - I'm certainly not a Republican, but the thesis of this thread is absurd.
PPS- The definition of 'American' includes more than just those who are born in the United States.
PPPS - Ted Cruz has about as much chance as being the GOP nominee for President as do you or I.
PPPPS - The proper response to moronic conspiracy theories is not to parry them with inane jingoism.
Oh, gosh!

So it was Romney's father who was born in Mexico! Not the son.

Kinda like Barack Obama (the father) was born in Kenya. Not the son.

OK, I think it's all clear now.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:17 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,527,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Hawaii is in america?! Since when did that happen!

Well, it became a state back in 1959. But it was a territory long before that, since the late 1800s. But these recent developments don't register with a large segment of the Obamaphobic right.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:19 PM

26,562 posts, read 14,436,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
John McCain was born on a US military base in what was legally at the time a US Territory, which is treated as US soil - and was never a dual citizen of Panama.
it's a myth that US military bases are considered "US soil". US citizenship in those cases comes from jus sanguinis, thru the parents, not jus soli ( thru "soil" ).

what makes mccain's case unique is that in 1936, the year of mccain's birth, congress specifically considered canal zone births "US nationals" and not "US citizens". the law was changed in 1938 and made retroactive.

congress passed a non-binding resolution unanimously and without argument in 2008 stating that they considered mccain a "natural born citizen".

Old 04-18-2015, 03:23 PM

26,562 posts, read 14,436,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Maude View Post
I wonder if territories count (Goldwater).

The Obama case is interesting only because, if born in Kenya, I believe that law at the time would make his mother's citizenship insufficient.
correct. stanley ann would have missed the age requirement to automatically confer citizenship by 3 months. but..... he was born in hawaii so the question is moot.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:49 PM

62,880 posts, read 29,110,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I think his point is that Republicans get all hot and bothered about our current President, who was born in Hawaii to a white mother from Kansas, not being an American citizen, but they overlook that they are in love with Ted Cruz, who is Canadian, to say nothing of John McCain, who actually was born in Panama (to American parents, of course) and also nominated Willard "Mitt" Romney, who fled to France to hide out during the Vietnam War.
FYI, not all or even most Republicans adhere to the birther nonsense but leave it to the liberal, left to pick out a few idiots as an example of the entire party. Add to that that they also claim that all Republicans are religious nuts among other stupid claims about the fringe element rather than what the majority of GOPers actually think and there you have it. Arguments that can't be won unless lies and demonization are included. Disgusting! I feel like I'm debating in a schoolyard playground in here sometimes.

Your post is a good example of it. I am a conservative and I have no use for Cruz or McCain but it has nothing to do with where they were born. Please prove that Romney fled to France to escape and hide out from the Viet Nam War and what has that do with anything anyway? I have never questioned Obama's citizenship either so stick that in your pipe and smoke it. There are many more conservatives that feel as I do contrary to your silly claims in here about the entire Republican party.

Last edited by Oldglory; 04-18-2015 at 03:57 PM..

Old 04-18-2015, 03:52 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,730,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I think his point is that Republicans get all hot and bothered about our current President, who was born in Hawaii to a white mother from Kansas, not being an American citizen, but they overlook that they are in love with Ted Cruz, who is Canadian, to say nothing of John McCain, who actually was born in Panama (to American parents, of course)
Birthers are a lot like the Westboro Baptist Church. They're extremist conspiracy theorists we're all embarrassed by. We all wish they'd just shut up. It didn't help much that Hawaii's birth records at the time of Obama's birth were atrocious, but I think most sane Americans agree that the man was born in Hawaii.

Both parties have these idiots lurking in their ranks.

Quote:
and also nominated Willard "Mitt" Romney, who fled to France to hide out during the Vietnam War.
Clearly you have absolutely no clue what he was doing in France. Serving a mission for their church is a rite of passage from boyhood into manhood for most LDS members. Giving every minute of every day of two years of your life while paying for your own food and rent and receiving absolutely no pay ... If your only goal is to hide from the draft, that's a mighty stupid way to do it.

It's a fair statement that Willard Romney actively avoided serving in the Vietnam War after he got back from France. Clinton's candidacy set the standard: Avoiding military service cannot disqualify you from being POTUS. Same thing with having a past history with illicit drugs. Clinton eliminated the previous standard. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

The reasons Romney wasn't electable have nothing to do with these childish nitpicky issues.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:58 PM

62,880 posts, read 29,110,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Birthers are a lot like the Westboro Baptist Church. They're extremist conspiracy theorists we're all embarrassed by. We all wish they'd just shut up. It didn't help much that Hawaii's birth records at the time of Obama's birth were atrocious, but I think most sane Americans agree that the man was born in Hawaii.

Both parties have these idiots lurking in their ranks.

Clearly you have absolutely no clue what he was doing in France. Serving a mission for their church is a rite of passage from boyhood into manhood for most LDS members. Giving every minute of every day of two years of your life while paying for your own food and rent and receiving absolutely no pay ... If your only goal is to hide from the draft, that's a mighty stupid way to do it.

It's a fair statement that Willard Romney actively avoided serving in the Vietnam War after he got back from France. Clinton's candidacy set the standard: Avoiding military service cannot disqualify you from being POTUS. Same thing with having a past history with illicit drugs. Clinton eliminated the previous standard. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

The reasons Romney wasn't electable have nothing to do with these childish nitpicky issues.
Exactly! Good post.

Old 04-18-2015, 04:01 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,730,895 times
Quote:
Oh, gosh!

So it was Romney's father who was born in Mexico! Not the son.

Kinda like Barack Obama (the father) was born in Kenya. Not the son.

OK, I think it's all clear now.
No, clearly you weren't paying attention. Barack Obama really was born in Kenya right at the top of Mount Kilimanjaro. His real mother and father died on the descent down the mountain. Baby Barack was rescued by a pack of jackals who raised him in the Islamic faith and turned him into a werewolf. He later joined Al Qeda (which for some reason already existed). He was quietly smuggled into the United States, given a fake new mother and life history, all the while plotting to become President and one day be installed as Muslim dictator of the United States. His last act as President of the United States will be to ban Christianity and issue in Sharia Law. ISIS will then become the official new government of the USA -- which will be renamed the United Muslim Caliphate of America, with Barack Obama as supreme dictator.

Have we got our story straight now?

Old 04-18-2015, 04:02 PM

27,124 posts, read 15,303,353 times
Quote:
2008: McCain, born in Panama

2012: Romney, born in Mexico

And now, they're all weak-kneed for Rafael Cruz, the Canadian born immigrant son of Cuban immigrants.

Seems there was a kerfuffle just a few years ago amongst the rabid right about our current president, who was born in Hawaii.

If your father is married to someone else other than your mother is she your Step Mother?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies