Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 06:08 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
No, the message that I’ve received is that white conservatives are terrified that the fastest growing demographic group in the country identifies as a minority rather than white, although many Hispanics are white, and that they vote disproportionately for Democrats.
While Tritone is a black Texan and I am a libertarian leaning black California whose parents grew up in segregated Jim Crow Louisiana. I haven't noticed anyone else support the Tritone thesis in any way.

What's the next argument that neither one of us is authentically black because this issue might split the coalition?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2020, 06:19 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Hispanics are the fastest growing demographic in our country due to millions of them here illegally and giving birth on our soil. What's to like? It's neither natural nor lawful.

Old 01-21-2020, 11:53 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
While Tritone is a black Texan and I am a libertarian leaning black California whose parents grew up in segregated Jim Crow Louisiana. I haven't noticed anyone else support the Tritone thesis in any way.

What's the next argument that neither one of us is authentically black because this issue might split the coalition?
You're way too polite in the bold.

Old 01-22-2020, 11:34 AM

3,850 posts, read 2,227,486 times
Political Commentator Linda Chavez was NOT a "hispanic"

Quote:
Conservative and Hispanic, Linda Chavez Carves Out Leadership Niche

"Before entering college, Ms. Chavez had been oblivious to racial differences, her mother said.

''Nobody thought to ask anybody what they were,'' Mrs. Chavez said. ''There was no such thing as Hispanic. That was not a word. Linda started noticing that when she went away to school. Race became important, and I think that is when the 'Hispanic' word was coined.''
Older "hispanics" are very honest about this. They spoke more candidly about it back in the 90s when "hispanic" was still new. This article is from 1998. They themselves did not know where "hispanic" came from. They theorized about it.

And this was not just the term "hispanic", it was the concept. She was oblivious to race before she became "hispanic" because she was WHITE. She was not a minority before becoming a "hispanic" in college.

Last edited by Tritone; 01-22-2020 at 12:02 PM..

Old 01-22-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Thanks, this is something I've wondered about, too - how Hispanics came to be considered a separate race.
In short, it was a political fabrication concocted by Mexican American activists in the 1970s, so that Mexican-Americans and other people Spanish origin could qualify for affirmative action and get funding and government resources meant for minorities.

That's the whole reason we call people "hispanic" today. They exist as an ethnic group for the purpose of Affirmative Action.

Old 01-23-2020, 11:17 AM

1,065 posts, read 597,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
"Spanish People" as historically used in the united States, was a colloquial term that referred to Latin Americans, or people of Spanish origin. That's what elderly people called them long before there was a notion of a "hispanic/latino" minority group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44355wdYy9s

When this girl here in the '50s mentions "Spanish People", she doesn't mean Spanish nationals. She's talking about Mexicans.

"Spanish people" went to schools with white children, the debate over integration had nothing to do with them.
That book you're reading is bizarre, go visit the Spaniards in the Sangre Cristo Valley and visit other folks of Spanish descent - they were prejudiced against Mexicans and would always correct you, if you called yourself, Spanish. Also white children were rare in those parts but when the Spanish left the area for businesses in DC, hell yeah they experienced bias. I think you'll need to get boots on the ground - too many folks are correcting you via the mis-informed book. Wonderful people, all of them - I think you'd enjoy it.

Old 01-23-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
I think you'll need to get boots on the ground - too many folks are correcting you via the mis-informed book. Wonderful people, all of them - I think you'd enjoy it.
I was raised by the real-life people who grew up during segregation in Texas.

The book "Making Hispanics" is merely confirming what people have always been saying regarding folks of Spanish origin in Texas and South Western history.

Old 02-03-2020, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
OTOH, many (not all) were rather complicit in the discrimination against blacks UNTIL the reality check came in (i.e. the realization that they were not as liked as they thought they were by Anglos).
No. They were saying that they were white until after the civil rights movement was over and they learned that the government was giving out money to discriminated minority groups. Suddenly, they reinvented themselves as "people of color" with grievances and a victim claim. That's what "hispanic" was about - it was a way to artificially reclassify people of Spanish origin as minorities so that they could get funding and take advantage of all the civil rights protections.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:34 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
No. They were saying that they were white until after the civil rights movement was over and they learned that the government was giving out money to discriminated minority groups. Suddenly, they reinvented themselves as "people of color" with grievances and a victim claim. That's what "hispanic" was about - it was a way to artificially reclassify people of Spanish origin as minorities so that they could get funding and take advantage of all the civil rights protections.
Perhaps but the reality hit as well. Anglo Saxons were not feeling those of Spanish origin.

The proper term is “Latin-American”.

You’re making a fuss about a term (Hispanic) that many Latin-Americans don’t even like nor do they use it. You really should be upset at the federal government that ALLOWED the term to be added to the census data. Not those of the origin.

And I’d rather Latin-Americans as well as other groups make their own claims, rather than expecting black people to be their spokespeople.

It’s like, you’ve got a mouth so speak up.

Last edited by pandorafan5687; 02-18-2020 at 07:08 PM..

Old 02-18-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Perhaps but the reality hit as well. Anglo Saxons were not feeling those of Spanish origin.
Nonsense.

Nobody noticed Spanish people before they became "Hispanic" minorities. In the 60s, they were just some kind of white people.

When Joan Baez was a popular folk singer, she was just some white woman. She wasn't a "Latina" minority. The name "Baez" only made her slightly exotic.

The organizations that fabricated the "hispanic" concept had to invent or exaggerate a victim narrative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies