Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 02:34 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,029,991 times

Advertisements

Saturdays in the Fall :: Britt McHenry Video Lacks Context, So Stop Making Snap Judgments

This article pretty much sums up what I think about every video clip that hits the Web and generates massive controversy: police shootings, frat boys chanting racist songs, politicians making seemingly insulting or ignorant comments, and now, Britt McHenry, a hot sideline chick from ESPN, giving a verbal beatdown to some tow truck employee.

The problem I have is that you can NEVER, EVER, EVER get the full story from some video clip that is only a few seconds long and usually recorded on a cell phone camera by someone with an agenda.

Personally, I think our cell phone camera culture has made us lazy and withered our critical thinking skills. Now instead of demanding to see evidence and forming an educated opinion, we watch a 15-second clip, check the direction of everyone else's outrage, and join the herd. It's easier that way.

What do you guys think? Is the video alone enough to convince you that Britt McHenry is a total B for going off on that lady? Or do you withhold judgment without knowing the full story? I'm in the second camp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 02:37 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
I don't care.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:45 PM

Then I'm not sure why you responded. A lot of people do care. Social media is going nuts with this. There are petitions circulating the Web, with thousands of signatures, for the woman to be fired. I find the controversy, both sides of it, interesting. If you don't, that's fine, but I'm not sure why you needed to post just to point that out.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:52 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,814,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
Saturdays in the Fall :: Britt McHenry Video Lacks Context, So Stop Making Snap Judgments

Spoiler
This article pretty much sums up what I think about every video clip that hits the Web and generates massive controversy: police shootings, frat boys chanting racist songs, politicians making seemingly insulting or ignorant comments, and now, Britt McHenry, a hot sideline chick from ESPN, giving a verbal beatdown to some tow truck employee.

The problem I have is that you can NEVER, EVER, EVER get the full story from some video clip that is only a few seconds long and usually recorded on a cell phone camera by someone with an agenda.

Personally, I think our cell phone camera culture has made us lazy and withered our critical thinking skills. Now instead of demanding to see evidence and forming an educated opinion, we watch a 15-second clip, check the direction of everyone else's outrage, and join the herd. It's easier that way.

What do you guys think? Is the video alone enough to convince you that Britt McHenry is a total B for going off on that lady? Or do you withhold judgment without knowing the full story? I'm in the second camp.
So what and where is the whole story? The woman should be reassigned as Obermann's assistant.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:55 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Then I'm not sure why you responded. A lot of people do care. Social media is going nuts with this. There are petitions circulating the Web, with thousands of signatures, for the woman to be fired. I find the controversy, both sides of it, interesting. If you don't, that's fine, but I'm not sure why you needed to post just to point that out.
You asked a question. I replied. As far as I'm concerned it's a complete non issue.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:56 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
Video: In the one-minute video, recorded by a security camera and then chopped to pieces so it only shows McHenry's end of the confrontation, the reporter mocks the employee's low-level job and lack of education, alludes to her missing teeth, and then ends the exchange by advising the woman to lose weight.

Context: "McHenry and a friend went to dinner at a Chinese establishment and parked in the restaurant's dedicated lot. Approximately two hours after the restaurant closed, the pair returned to the lot and found their car had been towed."

In this context her behavior is still inexcusable.

On another note - why take your anger out on a low paid employee instead of the restaurant owner who authorized and ordered the tow? The tow company is an agent of the owner and has contract to tow cars that don't meet certain conditions.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:02 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,117,231 times
On the other hand, the prevalence of camera phones has given credence to many people whose grievance would have been just brushed off in the years past. Many of the stories the author is talking about would not have come to light but for a video. Without a video, it's just he-said-she-said. The powerful, respected, privileged or popular would usually prevail.

The McHenry video was clearly edited by the towing company, but what McHenry said was not altered (she never made that claim). The words she uttered, by themselves, are not acceptable to most people. If you've lived in NY, however, you hear that every day on the subway.

Mick

Old 04-19-2015, 03:02 PM

27,143 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:

Is this the whole story (all you need to know here) for you?;

"and now, Britt McHenry, a hot sideline chick from ESPN,........."

Old 04-19-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Video: In the one-minute video, recorded by a security camera and then chopped to pieces so it only shows McHenry's end of the confrontation, the reporter mocks the employee's low-level job and lack of education, alludes to her missing teeth, and then ends the exchange by advising the woman to lose weight.

Context: "McHenry and a friend went to dinner at a Chinese establishment and parked in the restaurant's dedicated lot. Approximately two hours after the restaurant closed, the pair returned to the lot and found their car had been towed."

In this context her behavior is still inexcusable.

On another note - why take your anger out on a low paid employee instead of the restaurant owner who authorized and ordered the tow? The tow company is an agent of the owner and has contract to tow cars that don't meet certain conditions.

That is absurd that her car would be towed because she left it in the restaurant's lot two hours after closing. Maybe it was a nice night and the pair went for a stroll to walk off their big meal. Was the presence of her car hurting anyone? And how do we know that she "took out her anger" on the low-level employee or even started the confrontation? Once again, the video doesn't show that.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:22 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
No matter the context, her words were inappropriate under ANY circumstances. It shows her true character, and her inflated ego, and self importance. Very pretty girl on the outside, and very ugly on the inside!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies