Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2015, 10:06 AM

25,745 posts, read 16,362,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Huh? I have been drinking tap water ever since I moved here, I never buy bottled water.
Health is also no problem, life expectancy here is higher than in Germany or the US.

Traveling is traveling, living is living. Anyway, it is your impression and it is OK, but other people naturally have very different impressions. While there are a few nice places in the US, I would not trade Portugal for 99% of the US. Life here is just a lot better for me.
I'm glad you are happy. I wish that for everyone. But in your constant joy you still have time to rip on the US and Germany, two countries that I'm sure have done good things for you. But good luck as always.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 10:32 AM

25,915 posts, read 24,585,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I'm glad you are happy. I wish that for everyone. But in your constant joy you still have time to rip on the US and Germany, two countries that I'm sure have done good things for you. But good luck as always.
Being happy is not a full-time job, so why would I not have time to rip on things - in this case countries - I consider bad?!
In my view Germany is a tasteless, unscrupulous, egoistic parasite in the center of Europe.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:34 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,160,560 times
Quote:
Being happy is not a full-time job, so why would I not have time to rip on things - in this case countries - I consider bad?!
In my view Germany is a tasteless, unscrupulous, egoistic parasite in the center of Europe.
Germany is the economic engine of the EU. Portugal is an economic backwater in comparison.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Germany is the economic engine of the EU. Portugal is an economic backwater in comparison.
What does one have to do with the other? Germany has boomed at the expense of other EU countries (and the US, which is also complaining about Germany's trade practices), not least via the Euro, which is a huge burden on many EU countries such as Portugal. And it was introduced so that Germans could have their reunification.

China is also an economic powerhouse, does that mean it is a good country?

Old 09-04-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
What does one have to do with the other? Germany has boomed at the expense of other EU countries (and the US, which is also complaining about Germany's trade practices), not least via the Euro, which is a huge burden on many EU countries such as Portugal. And it was introduced so that Germans could have their reunification.

China is also an economic powerhouse, does that mean it is a good country?
The point is that Germany is no parasite on the rest of Europe. They drive the EU's economy and keep the other countries afloat.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
The point is that Germany is no parasite on the rest of Europe. They drive the EU's economy and keep the other countries afloat.
No, that is not the case. Europe would do better if there were no Germany. Germany depends on Europe more than the other way round. It shows for instance in Germany's trade surplus with Europe of about $150b per year.
https://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/deu/

And yes, it is a parasite, it has earned billions from the Euro and debt crisis, at the expense of smaller countries.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:15 AM

25,745 posts, read 16,362,928 times
Quote:
No, that is not the case. Europe would do better if there were no Germany. Germany depends on Europe more than the other way round. It shows for instance in Germany's trade surplus with Europe of about $150b per year.
https://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/deu/

And yes, it is a parasite, it has earned billions from the Euro and debt crisis, at the expense of smaller countries.
The Germans are always the smartest guys in the room, they would prosper and thrive no matter where you put them. They are workers and producers. They are not the type of people to retire to Portugal and do nothing.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:20 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,501,233 times
I notice the leaders of the country with the world's biggest economy, China, aren't stupid enough to take in illegal migrants.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The Germans are always the smartest guys in the room, they would prosper and thrive no matter where you put them. They are workers and producers. They are not the type of people to retire to Portugal and do nothing.
Germans are not any smarter than the Portuguese or Spaniards or Greek.
The Portuguese work more than the Germans.
The Portuguese invent stuff as well, but they do not have as much money as VW etc., a lot of r&d is simply very expensive today, which is also one reason why Africa has such a hard time catching up, there is no money to do expensive r&d, not to mention the patent and IP madness.
But again, the Portuguese do develop and invent stuff as well. They often use English names for their products and brands, so you would not even know when something is from Portugal.

Portugal Discovers Its Spirit Of Entrepreneurial Adventure

Old 09-04-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Germans are not any smarter than the Portuguese or Spaniards or Greek.
The Portuguese work more than the Germans.
The Portuguese invent stuff as well, but they do not have as much money as VW etc., a lot of r&d is simply very expensive today, which is also one reason why Africa has such a hard time catching up, there is no money to do expensive r&d, not to mention the patent and IP madness.
But again, the Portuguese do develop and invent stuff as well. They often use English names for their products and brands, so you would not even know when something is from Portugal.

Portugal Discovers Its Spirit Of Entrepreneurial Adventure
Germans are smarter than the Portuguese, the Spaniards and the Greeks. That's not really debatable. There is no metric by which the Portuguese, Spaniards and Greeks can be compared to Germans that shows a parity in intelligence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies