Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 09:40 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
Feral cats are not a natural part of the environment. They're an introduced predator than can kill massive amounts of animals every year. Humans have a huge blind spot for feral cats when they really, really shouldn't.

We have feral cats in our neighborhood. In fact my first kitten that I rescued (the orange tabby that I referenced on this thread) more than likely came from feral cats. What we found out is that a guy down the road (and outside of our development) would let his cats breed, and then the kittens that he didn't give a way would be set free to roam... hence the reason for the feral cats. In fact a couple of them roaming around were also orange tabbies and I had to do a double take to make sure mine didn't get out! At any rate, a few of the neighbors have banded together to set up donations to capture them, and have them fixed, and while they will be set free again, at least they won't reproduce more feral cats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 09:40 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
surprised there's no thread on this yet.

despite her talk of feral cats, there is evidence that the cat was a neighbor's pet.

Veterinarian posts FB photo of cat shot with arrow - CNN.com

"Austin County Sheriff Jack Brandes says his department has received calls and comments from around the world and are investigating. If they determine who shot the cat, that person will could animal cruelty charges.
Eyewitness News has learned she plans to meet with investigators next week with an attorney present."
Brenham vet fired over Facebook photo showing cat with arrow in head | abc13.com
I feel bad for the owner of this cat.

I don't have a problem with feral cats being killed, but it should not be legal for the general public to do (including a vet) for this reason. Feral cats should be taken to shelters and be euthanize after a waiting period, so possible owners have a chance to claim them.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:41 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
Feral cats are not a natural part of the environment. They're an introduced predator than can kill massive amounts of animals every year. Humans have a huge blind spot for feral cats when they really, really shouldn't.
Yeah, people think cities are overrun with rodents now, imagine no cats.......

Disneyland Partners With Feral Cat Colony To Control Rodents

Old 04-20-2015, 09:44 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
So...this woman didn't actually kill this cat. Someone else did. She just posted a picture on fb. At least that's how I read the article.
Lindsey added a comment, CNN affiliate KBTX reported. "My first bow kill, lol. The only good feral tomcat is one with an arrow through it's head! Vet of the year award ... Gladly accepted."

How did you come to your conclusion.....

Old 04-20-2015, 09:45 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,870,511 times
Quote:
So...this woman didn't actually kill this cat. Someone else did. She just posted a picture on fb. At least that's how I read the article.
No, read it again. She killed it and then bragged about it, as 3Shepherds posted above. When someone commented on her FB post asking if she would lose her job over it she responded: "no I did not lose my job. Lol. Psshh. Like someone would get rid of me. I’m awesome!”

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/V...300293461.html

She was fired shortly afterward.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:52 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
We have feral cats in our neighborhood. In fact my first kitten that I rescued (the orange tabby that I referenced on this thread) more than likely came from feral cats. What we found out is that a guy down the road (and outside of our development) would let his cats breed, and then the kittens that he didn't give a way would be set free to roam... hence the reason for the feral cats. In fact a couple of them roaming around were also orange tabbies and I had to do a double take to make sure mine didn't get out! At any rate, a few of the neighbors have banded together to set up donations to capture them, and have them fixed, and while they will be set free again, at least they won't reproduce more feral cats!
That's what should be done! Thank you!

Old 04-20-2015, 09:53 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
No, read it again. She killed it and then bragged about it, as 3Shepherds posted above. When someone commented on her FB post asking if she would lose her job over it she responded: "no I did not lose my job. Lol. Psshh. Like someone would get rid of me. I’m awesome!”

Veterinarian Fired After Bragging About Killing Cat with Bow and Arrow (WARNING: Graphic Photo)

She was fired shortly afterward.
I love a good dose of Karma!

Old 04-20-2015, 09:53 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Ok....I see. I guess the reward of 7500 dollars for turning in the person guilty of shooting the cat threw me off.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:54 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Dunno why you say that. The story says she said she did it.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:57 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Understood. Farm cats are different from city/suburb cats. Farm cats are on the payroll, have chores and need to be outside for some portion of the day. But their list of unnatural predators is much smaller on a farm than in the city or 'burbs.

Only job my two knuckleheads have is shedding, eating, sleeping and being cute. They perform all of these duties quite admirably, and do so from indoors.

Yep- cats are nice critters. All of my cats (and dogs) are spoiled, but they provide us stress and comic relief.

However, on the farm cats can fall prey to coyotes, bobcats, eagles, and ferrel dogs. Hunters can (and do) plink cats when hunting deer or turkey, therefore one should not allow them to stray toward the woods. I lost one to coyotes and exacted revenge for the act. The current cats stay very close and would be unlikely victims of predators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies