Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 09:59 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
We have feral cats in our neighborhood. In fact my first kitten that I rescued (the orange tabby that I referenced on this thread) more than likely came from feral cats. What we found out is that a guy down the road (and outside of our development) would let his cats breed, and then the kittens that he didn't give a way would be set free to roam... hence the reason for the feral cats. In fact a couple of them roaming around were also orange tabbies and I had to do a double take to make sure mine didn't get out! At any rate, a few of the neighbors have banded together to set up donations to capture them, and have them fixed, and while they will be set free again, at least they won't reproduce more feral cats!

Keep in mind, however, that ferrel cats are a very big problem for songbirds and gamebirds. Cats are one of a few predators that will kill "for fun", even when they are not hungry.

Too bad someone won't take in those cats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 10:13 AM

546 posts, read 408,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
If killing feral cats is legal in that county then she did nothing legally wrong.
Is a feral cat marked with a giant scarlet F or some other identifier to indicate it isn't someone's pet?

I understand in some communities with spay-neuter-release programs, they notch the ears of the cats that have been caught, fixed, and released. For some reason, I highly doubt this woman looked that closely (nor do I know if that is what is done where she lives).

I don't think you can judge that a feral cat simply based on its friendliness to humans either. My last cat loved me and pretty much hated everyone else. No visitor to our home was greeted warmly by her, it's just the way she was.

Just because she called it feral doesn't mean it was. Doesn't mean she even thought it was, she could have just had a sliver of common sense to present it as such, even while lacking the sense to not brag openly about it.

Not a fan of killing for sport to begin with, but when your career consists of people entrusting their pets' lives and well-being to you, it's extremely disturbing a vet would kill domestic animals for sport.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:19 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyMama View Post
Is a feral cat marked with a giant scarlet F or some other identifier to indicate it isn't someone's pet?

I understand in some communities with spay-neuter-release programs, they notch the ears of the cats that have been caught, fixed, and released. For some reason, I highly doubt this woman looked that closely (nor do I know if that is what is done where she lives).

I don't think you can judge that a feral cat simply based on its friendliness to humans either. My last cat loved me and pretty much hated everyone else. No visitor to our home was greeted warmly by her, it's just the way she was.

Just because she called it feral doesn't mean it was. Doesn't mean she even thought it was, she could have just had a sliver of common sense to present it as such, even while lacking the sense to not brag openly about it.

Not a fan of killing for sport to begin with, but when your career consists of people entrusting their pets' lives and well-being to you, it's extremely disturbing a vet would kill domestic animals for sport.
Exactly right. And as it turns out, it wasn't a feral cat. It was owned by an elderly couple who had reported the pet, Tiger, as missing a few days earlier. A possibility that Ms. Lindsey seemed unconcerned about when she was posing with her trophy kill.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:21 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Keep in mind, however, that ferrel cats are a very big problem for songbirds and gamebirds. Cats are one of a few predators that will kill "for fun", even when they are not hungry.

Too bad someone won't take in those cats.
I know it is sad. I did my part by rescuing the two that I own. They are indoor cats, and will stay that way! We do have our share of other predators though... namely coyotes and brown hawks! I've seen them raid a robin's nest and make off with the babies.

Quote:

While I have no issue with those who hunt (I grew up around people who did) it isn't my thing. Now on the other hand, if there was ever a SHTF scenario in this country..... well... my family needs to eat. I get what you're saying though. I see it like this, while God gave us dominion over the animals, that doesn't mean we need to treat them badly, or kill them just for the sake of it.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:21 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Count me among the previous cat haters. Couldn't stand their aloofness behaviour when they were dependant upon people for sustenance.

Then the neighbours next door who were given a main coon kitten by one of their kids to celebrate their 25th anniversary ended up separating and moving away leaving the little feller to fend for himself.

Couldn't resist this ragged little thing coming up on our deck and mewling for a piece of my just cedar plank BBQ'd fresh salmon flank. That was that!

That little guy travelled with us for many years of RV'ing all over the southern U.S. and across Canada until he passed at age 17. He was never allowed out of sight outdoors and in later years a harness and leash was his method of outdoor exercise.

Feral cats, if they become problematic should be dealt with by licensed trappers who then turn them over to the SPCA. If their origin can be traced at all then those people should be charged with their cost of neuter and rehab up to adoption. If adoption is not feasible or practical than euthanasia in a humane manner should be done.

Feral species are not all the same and nor do they present humans with the same set of problems.

I've got problem with rabbits eating our succulents and ornamentals only to find out the neighbour lady across the street feeds the darn things and lets them breed under her rear deck. A reasonable but stern discussion with her about her misplaced charity was my method of choice. She was the problem not the rabbits.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:24 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
I find this story so odd. Why are they investigating... if she already " admitted" to killing the cat?

It's a cat, not a human. So how much police investigation do we really need? A simple confession should be

enough? That's of course if she really did say she killed the cat.

I tell you, FB really brings out the idiots from hiding.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:25 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:

So to both of you I ask do either of you donate money and or time for these trapping, spey and neuter programs? oh which by the way would need to include declawing to have any impact.

Is she a dumbass for her public display? I already answered that question.

Again my dog is not allowed to wander around our county legally and I would never allow it either.

You don't want your pets to end up dead keep them under control from a car or pissed off land owner then keep them locked up.

For the record I used to get paid by local farmers and ranchers to dispatch ground squirrels as a youth with my 22lr. It's how I honed my shooting skills and made money on the side as a teen.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-20-2015 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 04-20-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Count me among the previous cat haters. Couldn't stand their aloofness behaviour when they were dependant upon people for sustenance.

Then the neighbours next door who were given a main coon kitten by one of their kids to celebrate their 25th anniversary ended up separating and moving away leaving the little feller to fend for himself.

Couldn't resist this ragged little thing coming up on our deck and mewling for a piece of my just cedar plank BBQ'd fresh salmon flank. That was that!

That little guy travelled with us for many years of RV'ing all over the southern U.S. and across Canada until he passed at age 17. He was never allowed out of sight outdoors and in later years a harness and leash was his method of outdoor exercise.

Feral cats, if they become problematic should be dealt with by licensed trappers who then turn them over to the SPCA. If their origin can be traced at all then those people should be charged with their cost of neuter and rehab up to adoption. If adoption is not feasible or practical than euthanasia in a humane manner should be done.

Feral species are not all the same and nor do they present humans with the same set of problems.

I've got problem with rabbits eating our succulents and ornamentals only to find out the neighbour lady across the street feeds the darn things and lets them breed under her rear deck. A reasonable but stern discussion with her about her misplaced charity was my method of choice. She was the problem not the rabbits.
Huh, I would have made a lot of hasenpfeffer to deal with that issue.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:32 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I find this story so odd. Why are they investigating... if she already " admitted" to killing the cat?

It's a cat, not a human. So how much police investigation do we really need? A simple confession should be

enough? That's of course if she really did say she killed the cat.

I tell you, FB really brings out the idiots from hiding.
not sure how much more clear she could make it. a picture of her smiling holding a cat with an arrow thru it's head, with the words "my first bow kill. lol"

are you thinking she killed some other animal in her 'first bow kill' but mysteriously posted a picture of the cat instead?

Old 04-20-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
If you knew anything about population dynamics, you'd know that killing an individual cat does exactly *nothing* to control feral cat populations.

But I do agree that it is not the cat's fault it is feral. It is the fault of people who don't take responsibility for animal welfare.
I know a lot about wildlife population dynamics as someone who has contributed tens of thousands of dollars and probably thousands of volunteer hours for wildlife habitat restoration over the last 30+ years.

Don't obtuse, no one single tabby allowed to roam freely is the issue. It's the millions and millions of them.

Its easy to get worked up over someones pet but not so easy to show the same concern and emotion for the destruction to wildlife population that millions of feral cat do on a yearly basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies