Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 07:39 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
The numbers are in total for all of us, not individually. Obviously, some people pay a lot more and some a lot less.
Yes, and it's only because some pay a lot more that the total amount collected is that high. The typical taxpayer does not pay more than he or she spends on food, housing and clothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 07:41 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
...... even though you love big government and high taxes.
You lose every time you try to make it personal. Its a grand deflection.

You don't need to tell me what I love, or don't love. I have never met anyone who loves paying taxes, let alone high taxes, but most grown ups understand government revenue is a necessary evil.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:45 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
yeo it means the others are affordable; nothing more really. Many consume much more than tax based service than they pay. Even the average middle class taxpayer paid about 10% this year and average return was over 2700 dollars. Of course this is easily avoided by filing a W2 in correct amount of dependents; which most just can't do seemingly or choice not to.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:46 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Strange I do not pay anywhere near as much on taxes as I do on the other items. I spend more on food each month than pay in taxes and Insurance home/vehicles/boats/bikes/health adds up to just about the same as taxes. I guess it depends on how one spends their money and deals with taxes.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:51 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It means housing, food and clothing is affordable, and people are spending the rest of the money on something else. Hopefully they are saving too. Let's not pretend taxes are high, because they are not.
Taxes are to high, just because they're much higher in some other country you want America to become doesn't mean they aren't to high here.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:03 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
This helps put our humongous, out of control, tax and spend government in perspective.
----------------------

America will spend more on taxes in 2015 than on food, clothing, and housing combined. (Graph) | AgainstCronyCapitalism.org
The bottom 50% AGI earners paid an average of 3.13% in federal taxes.

The top 50% AGI earners paid an average of 13.8% in federal taxes.

Most people pay substantially higher percentage of their earned income for housing and food.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:06 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
thankfully they havent taxed food yet... some have proposed this. Eggs and turkey are going up btw.
Who is " they"?

Several states tax food.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:11 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
What bothers me the most is the death tax. In some states like California the tax is so high that the survivors lose a huge chunk of inheritance. The American way has always been to work hard and leave something for your children but then the Gov. comes in and takes a huge chunk of that.
It doesn't make sense, you work and pay taxes on the money you earn. Most items you buy are taxed. Somehow you can put together a nest egg from the post taxed money for your heirs then you die and the Gov. taxes the money again.
It is almost more appealing to stop the struggle and just give in and let the Gov. take care of us.

I get it taxes are needed to keep the country going but the stupid stuff the Gov. throws our money at. The one that gets me is how they can funnel billions of dollars to foreign gov. in countries that hate the US while people are suffering here and could use that money instead.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:20 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Yes, and it's only because some pay a lot more that the total amount collected is that high. The typical taxpayer does not pay more than he or she spends on food, housing and clothing.
How sure are you about that? I pay ~16.5% in payroll taxes, about 10% in fed income tax, another 6% on state income tax. Not to mention fuel tax, property tax, and taxes paid by the producers of product I purchase, vehicle licences and registration, etc. Oh, forgot about the taxes on my cell phone plan and internet. The greed of our governments is amazing. I pay far more in taxes than on food, clothing and transportation. Housing, heck I paid about $9500 on my mortgage last year, my federal income taxes alone were that much. Oh, and I didn't even mention another 6% in sales tax on every item I buy.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:23 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,776 times
Overall, we spend more on taxes than food, clothing and housing combined. The average household spends about 30% of its income on housing and about 15% on food, so nearly half of the average American's spending goes to just a house/apt and food. 40% of us have a tax rate of 7% or lower. But as a nation, we spend more on taxes than housing and food. Why's that? Because the rich pay so much in taxes. Those evil rich jerks who "aren't paying their fair share" are actually paying the bulk of the taxes that we all benefit from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies