Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 06:18 AM

13,943 posts, read 5,615,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Well we can see in this thread who stands with ISIS. Its the people trying to help them spread their terror and fear.

We have nothing to fear, except fear itself folks.
I don't stand for ISIS, but I can understand the nature of 30,000 sociopaths who will light children on fire as a visual exclamation point to their current message.

And I don't really fear them invading America or anything, because private gun owners in the US outnumber ISIS by roughly 3,400 to 1. They think they have issues in their current battlefields of Iraq, wait 'til they reach West Virginia and try that allahu akbar nonsense.

But why people fear them is easy - they are sociopaths. They are chaos. They don't (to paraphrase the Joker) follow the plan. They behead, they light people on fire, they kill children left and right, etc. And Americans have learned one thing really really REALLY well since Vietnam - we suck at fighting people who don't follow the Rules of Warfare According to Hoyle. We suck at it because we lack political will. Since we all know we suck at it, we know the enemy has the upper hand, can essentially do whatever they want with us largely powerless to stop them based on our own inaction, and now every other day someone orbiting the region and its issues says the word "nuclear."

Therefore, it's not unreasonable to fear such a thing, and if that "helps them spread fear and terror" it's because their propaganda is more believable than ours is. They sell their terror way better than we sell ours. If we sold our terror bigger, bolder and bloodier, our people would feel less scared, thinking our government has finally decided to be better at the bad things.

Me personally? ISIS is way down my list. I fear federal bureaucrats more than any terrorist, because federal bureaucrats can terrorize me any time they like and they have the law and media on their side. Just ask supporters of Walker in Wisconsin who are basically getting the WI version of Krystalnacht for supporting the union reform laws in Wisconsin. 3 AM raids by secret task forces, gag orders by state trooper goon squads, search and seizure without warrants...all for exercising free speech. I fear crap like that more than I do ISIS. Way more, in fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 06:35 AM

19,499 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Media sensationalism, mostly.

Sure, ISIS is as much of a threat to the USA as I am to Mike Tyson. But the chicken little contingent doesn't have the USSR available as a convenient bogey man, so these illiterate bozos thousands of miles away, riding around in the back of pickups with their AK-47s will just have to do as a stand-in.
You really think they are all illiterate?

Old 04-22-2015, 07:25 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
You really think they are all illiterate?
Did I say all?

Or was that you?

Old 04-22-2015, 07:26 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and the deniers, like this poster, will be the first ones screaming, "why didn't you do more to stop it " after they do attack
Stock up on peanut butter and bottled water in your old Y2K bunker.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:29 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Why do 90% of people in the US think ISIS is a threat? They have 30,000 troops and they're on the other side of the world. Yet in some conservative pieces and in the comments section of almost every single article, people hint their fear of an impending Islamic invasion of the United States.

I’m Not Afraid of ISIS « Antiwar.com Blog

Why do Americans, who are usually skeptical of what their own government says, keep on falling for propaganda from abroad over and over? Some idiot from the hot terror group of the day says he's going to destroy the USA, and it MAKES HEADLINES here. Why are so many Americans terrorized by stone-age blowhards?
Has anyone connected Iran, nuclear weapons and possibly all sanctions lifted to complete their project. ISIS could be the carrier of nukes and other destructive materials.......sit back nothing to worry about!

Old 04-22-2015, 07:31 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Media sensationalism, mostly.

Sure, ISIS is as much of a threat to the USA as I am to Mike Tyson. But the chicken little contingent doesn't have the USSR available as a convenient bogey man, so these illiterate bozos thousands of miles away, riding around in the back of pickups with their AK-47s will just have to do as a stand-in.
It's Iran who is using ISIS! All they have to do is bring stuff in via Mexico. Pollute the water, break the power grid, the list is endless. It doesn't even have to be a ME person, just a few who want to be ISIS in America to do the job.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...errorism-fears

And your suggestion is peanut butter, hope you don't have grandkids!

Old 04-22-2015, 07:39 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I don't stand for ISIS, but I can understand the nature of 30,000 sociopaths who will light children on fire as a visual exclamation point to their current message.

Same here!

And I don't really fear them invading America or anything, because private gun owners in the US outnumber ISIS by roughly 3,400 to 1. They think they have issues in their current battlefields of Iraq, wait 'til they reach West Virginia and try that allahu akbar nonsense.

Exactly! That little thing called the 2nd Amendment would stand in the way of them causing chaos. I mean I know those freaks don't care about dying and would be perceived by their fellow extremists as martyrs, but if it came down to it, and we were invaded by these screwballs, I would be happy to do my part in obliging them in sending them to meet their maker!

But why people fear them is easy - they are sociopaths. They are chaos. They don't (to paraphrase the Joker) follow the plan. They behead, they light people on fire, they kill children left and right, etc. And Americans have learned one thing really really REALLY well since Vietnam - we suck at fighting people who don't follow the Rules of Warfare According to Hoyle. We suck at it because we lack political will. Since we all know we suck at it, we know the enemy has the upper hand, can essentially do whatever they want with us largely powerless to stop them based on our own inaction, and now every other day someone orbiting the region and its issues says the word "nuclear."

Tough I have a feeling that if the shoe were on the other foot and an invading force tried to occupy this country, that for many Americans the gloves would come off as far as warfare tactics.

Therefore, it's not unreasonable to fear such a thing, and if that "helps them spread fear and terror" it's because their propaganda is more believable than ours is. They sell their terror way better than we sell ours. If we sold our terror bigger, bolder and bloodier, our people would feel less scared, thinking our government has finally decided to be better at the bad things.

Indeed.

Me personally? ISIS is way down my list. I fear federal bureaucrats more than any terrorist, because federal bureaucrats can terrorize me any time they like and they have the law and media on their side. Just ask supporters of Walker in Wisconsin who are basically getting the WI version of Krystalnacht for supporting the union reform laws in Wisconsin. 3 AM raids by secret task forces, gag orders by state trooper goon squads, search and seizure without warrants...all for exercising free speech. I fear crap like that more than I do ISIS. Way more, in fact.

Yep. ISIS isn't very high on my list either. Like you I fear the growing police state in this country, and the further erosion of our rights and individual liberties, than some s***head extremists in that 3rd world s***hole known as the middle east.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:51 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Why do 90% of people in the US think ISIS is a threat? They have 30,000 troops and they're on the other side of the world. Yet in some conservative pieces and in the comments section of almost every single article, people hint their fear of an impending Islamic invasion of the United States.

I’m Not Afraid of ISIS « Antiwar.com Blog

Why do Americans, who are usually skeptical of what their own government says, keep on falling for propaganda from abroad over and over? Some idiot from the hot terror group of the day says he's going to destroy the USA, and it MAKES HEADLINES here. Why are so many Americans terrorized by stone-age blowhards?
It's because in a democracy, the would be dictators know that if you control what people think, you can control what the do, to a certain degree. Hence, I believe that a lot of the instability in the Middle East is fermented by agencies and provocateurs in the West, who have the motive, means and opportunity to do such for geopolitical objectives. Eventually they need to create enough terror, to create enough fear in the US, to get the people to support another war soon.

The only way to get the masses to support empire is by creating fear.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:58 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
I've seen the 2nd Amendment mentioned a couple times now and I feel the need to ask one question. At what point would guns enter the equation?

Don't get me wrong, I fully support gun rights. I also feel like there is a mental image of terrorists walking down the street in formation. Maybe not, but I have to wonder. ISIS would be as effective in WV as they would be in NY or San Francisco. They don't telegraph their attacks like the US does. In all reality, we'd be standing in the streets watching something burn holding guns, asking "What just happened?"

We don't know who the enemy is. We know what ISIS is, but we haven't really put names and faces together. It's hard to shoot an enemy you can't identify.

That's my random thought for the morning.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:10 AM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
I've seen the 2nd Amendment mentioned a couple times now and I feel the need to ask one question. At what point would guns enter the equation?

Don't get me wrong, I fully support gun rights. I also feel like there is a mental image of terrorists walking down the street in formation. Maybe not, but I have to wonder. ISIS would be as effective in WV as they would be in NY or San Francisco. They don't telegraph their attacks like the US does. In all reality, we'd be standing in the streets watching something burn holding guns, asking "What just happened?"

We don't know who the enemy is. We know what ISIS is, but we haven't really put names and faces together. It's hard to shoot an enemy you can't identify.

That's my random thought for the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies