Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 07:41 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times

Advertisements

I would have to say that while on the surface what the OP suggests may sound accurate my own personal experience has shown that both Libs and Cons will ignore science and facts when they do not support their own point of view, it is simply human nature. I would also that working in the high tech world and having lived in both Liberal and Conservative regions that both sides are interested in real science and facts, and that neither side is more likely to accept or reject it, keep in mind that websites such as this are not really good representations of either Libs or Cons since those that tend to belong to such sites are usually more involved and interested in discussing issues and topics than the average American.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:32 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I got this from desertdetroiters thread on Obamas poll ratings worldwide. People automatically dismiss the poll because of sample size, when the sample of 1000 isn't actually that bad, statistically speaking.

But it seems that conservatives in general don't like studies. I'll admit, there are a lot of flawed ones, but not all of them are. Why is it that they seem to dismiss studies so rapidly though? are liberals just as dismissive of studies?

I have found for issues like minimum wage, unemployment, effects of globalization... conservatives are generally much more theory based while liberals are more open minded to empirical results.

What do you think?
Liberals are ideologically based, believing they can perfect human society with various forms of a social Utopia, engineered and policed by the velvet-covered, iron fist of an all-powerful central governmental authority.

Constitutional conservatives are based on the reality of human condition, taught by the successes and failures throughout the history of human experience.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:58 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
What I find is that both liberals and conservatives dismiss studies that do not support their viewpoint.
I think this is the truth.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:06 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
liberals are more likely to take an emotional stand regardless of studies or any factual evidence and stick to it just because it is such a passionate issue to them. Restricting the right of law abiding citizens to own firearms is one of their big ones.
The very example you used is emotional on the right wing side more so than Liberals.

Less guns equate to less gun deaths, thats a fact, not an emotional opinion. But arguing that you have a right to guns is an opinion, mind you that most people agree with it, but its still an opinion.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:09 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The very example you used is emotional on the right wing side more so than Liberals.

Less guns equate to less gun deaths, thats a fact, not an emotional opinion. But arguing that you have a right to guns is an opinion, mind you that most people agree with it, but its still an opinion.
less guns may lead to less gun deaths... but it doesn't lead to less deaths overall

Old 04-23-2015, 09:09 AM

5,355 posts, read 5,132,164 times
Interesting! After reading more examples, I do think that both sides do have a tendency to highlight the studies they like and dismiss the ones they don't. You can always criticize a study on something, so there will always be room to ignore them.

And I liked the quote that said liberals were more touchy feely while conservatives were more fear based/religion based. I've seen wild and weird emotional reactions from both sides: for liberals it would be a lot of environmental issues (they get REAL bent out of shape over things that don't matter like salmon in Oregons rivers or Pebols jumping mouse in CO Springs), discrimination/race things, police issues, social justice... all good issues that they've just taken too far and in the wrong direction. For Conservatives its abortion issues, guns (they have some valid points but again some people go off the deep end with the idea), drug legalization (wild views here), Obama in general, Constitution, the military...

The economics one was a perfect example. The basic laws of supply and demand aren't so basic when "all else equal" isn't held.

The next question is how to get both sides to take a more honest and thorough look at studies and empirical work? Education? I don't know how much that would help, unless it's a stats or econometrics based focus... I think less TV/Radio news would help.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:12 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
What I find is that both liberals and conservatives dismiss studies that do not support their viewpoint.
This plain and simple.

I don't think there is a difference at all on this issue between conservatives and liberals.

I will say though that as an independent, I don't outright believe any study or any statistics as all can be flawed and statistics don't really provide all information necessary to make a 100% conclusion about anything.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:13 AM

698 posts, read 587,595 times
Quote:
That is probably true. I just wonder if one side has a tendency to do it more often?

Conservatives are much more prone to relying on their personal beliefs about issues rather than actual facts or studies. They even created a network news channel and talk radio programs to reinforce these beliefs and prevent any exposure to news sources that are not ideologically pure. On a daily basis in this forum, a conservative will admit that they only accept information that is provided by Fox News or their favorite talk radio host as accurate and factual.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:24 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,682 times
Quote:
I got this from desertdetroiters thread on Obamas poll ratings worldwide. People automatically dismiss the poll because of sample size, when the sample of 1000 isn't actually that bad, statistically speaking.

But it seems that conservatives in general don't like studies. I'll admit, there are a lot of flawed ones, but not all of them are. Why is it that they seem to dismiss studies so rapidly though? are liberals just as dismissive of studies?

I have found for issues like minimum wage, unemployment, effects of globalization... conservatives are generally much more theory based while liberals are more open minded to empirical results.

What do you think?
Both sides have their hobby horses where they do the mature act of placing their hands on their ears and going "La la la la la la!". Both sides also have their moments of clarity. The funny thing is that you can often get them to agree on the same thing if you just know what notes to hit. Call something "indecent" and a lot of conservatives will be open to censorship. Call the same thing "sexist" and a lot of liberals (technically Progressives) will be open to censorship.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:27 AM

1,268 posts, read 798,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
meanwhile its the liberals that deny science and the fact that climate changes naturally, and has many, many times

science fact shows we have been warming since the end of the last main ice age 15,000 years ago... and the warming will continue till we get to the global average around 72' f just like the other 6+ waming trends...then we will start cooling again.........

but the liberals think only with their 3rd points of contact and lie and say 'man-made'...meanwhile science proves its a natural cycle

so who really is the deniers.... the people who look at science FACT that says warming and cooling are cycles and man cant change it...or the people who believe that man is so evil, that we are causing it......
This is a prime example. Reputable scientist, throughout the world, have reached an overwhelming consensus that climate change is accelerated by man made byproducts. Conservatives ignore this as a liberal bias, and claim the above. Warming has been accelerating, and it is impacting our climate. In the future, you will see conservatives spin their stance to being the champions of environmental protection. It wash, spin, repeat, and for anyone with an understanding of history, you have seen it play out repeatedly. Ask yourself how many times you may have heard that Abraham Lincoln was a republican? He was technically, but the party was not in its current form. Another great example is the total lack of understanding of an ecosystem. Who cares about salmon, bees, bears, etc.? There is no comprehension how these seemingly irrelevant insects and animals have an impact on the environment or ecosystem.

Honestly, both parties have issues, but conservatives tend to focus on a narrow exceptionalism view and claim a bias in any facts to the contrary. This is actually genius on the behalf of conservative leaders. You don't need to have any substantive proof of any claim. You simply claim that those "elitists" academics have a liberal bias. Scientific method goes out the window. No one cares you can repeat results repeatedly with experiments. You are biased; therefore, your results are biased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies