U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 10:36 AM

59,388 posts, read 46,421,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I got this from desertdetroiters thread on Obamas poll ratings worldwide. People automatically dismiss the poll because of sample size, when the sample of 1000 isn't actually that bad, statistically speaking.

But it seems that conservatives in general don't like studies. I'll admit, there are a lot of flawed ones, but not all of them are. Why is it that they seem to dismiss studies so rapidly though? are liberals just as dismissive of studies?

I have found for issues like minimum wage, unemployment, effects of globalization... conservatives are generally much more theory based while liberals are more open minded to empirical results.

What do you think?
Some of us were not disputing the sample size to make high-level observations. That was IMO valid and sufficient sampling.

We were pointing out that the media or political groups often takes Gallups scientific work and mangles it beyond it's intended purpose by then making claims about how suddenly people in Greece love\hate the US based upon the 5 people they polled from that country.

Otherwise, what you just started here was a bunch of poo throwing from the resident monkeys about how the other side is bad and uninformed and stupid heads lol.

How did "you find" that cons and libs reacted the way they did? Seems to me you just kinda "got a feeling" after reading some threads.

Therefore, this is just partisan people arguing about their perceptions of how their political rivals see things. Gee, I wonder how they will think their side operates and how the OTHER side operates lol....
Rate this post positively

Old 04-23-2015, 10:45 AM

546 posts, read 353,082 times
It all depends on who is conducting the study and the methodology used. Consider the source.

If you dig deep enough into some studies, you'll often find ideological bias in the methodology used. International rankings are frequently based on subjective criteria important to the people conducting the study. For example, if a study ranks the amount of services government provides as a positive, but does not consider the amount of taxation required to provide those services, I'd say there's a bias.

There was a thread not too long ago where Norway was ranked overall number one as the best place to live, but if you evaluate the factors used in the study, there's a definite liberal bias, IMO.

Figures don't lie, but liars can figure. Take any study, especially in the "soft" sciences with a grain of salt.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:09 AM

14,295 posts, read 8,718,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb62574 View Post
This is a prime example. Reputable scientist, throughout the world, have reached an overwhelming consensus that climate change is accelerated by man made byproducts.
Meanwhile, we are going on about 18 years with a pause, a hiatus if you will, where the net average global surface temperatures have remained flat. NASA, NOAA, the MET Office have all agreed that there has been no global warming/climate change at all, for almost two decades. Something no computer model predicted, and has befuddled the scientific community that bought into and predicted a never ending rise in global climate temps, driven by human-induced CO2.

Quote:
Conservatives ignore this as a liberal bias, and claim the above.
see above.

Quote:
Warming has been accelerating, and it is impacting our climate.
see above.

Quote:
In the future...

{snipped for it's irrelevance}
It's Constitutional conservatives who live in reality, and libs who use their Utopian ideology try to warp and shape the world and humanity to fit their world view.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:09 AM

13,719 posts, read 27,266,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The very example you used is emotional on the right wing side more so than Liberals.

Less guns equate to less gun deaths, thats a fact, not an emotional opinion. But arguing that you have a right to guns is an opinion, mind you that most people agree with it, but its still an opinion.
If that is fact, then why are gun deaths in total about where they were in 1979 while the number of guns is increasing? Per capita gun deaths are lower now. Why is the US homicide rate at a 50 year low?

Old 04-23-2015, 11:14 AM

14,295 posts, read 8,718,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
If that is fact, then why are gun deaths in total about where they were in 1979 while the number of guns is increasing? Per capita gun deaths are lower now. Why is the US homicide rate at a 50 year low?
Like I said, libs are guided by their ideological fantasy, not reality

Old 04-23-2015, 11:53 AM

25,261 posts, read 13,023,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The number of guns increase, the number of gun owners decreased . I didnt differentiate in my original post so let me make it clear for you now.

less guns in the hands of less people equals less gun deaths, not simply less guns.

And the bold actually proves my argument per capita means less shootings per person.

if there are 100 people and 10 of them are shot, is that not better than 10 people being shot out of 75 ????? If your logic was true, gun deahts would be up and in proportion with the population.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:02 PM

5,094 posts, read 4,626,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Conservatives are more likely to be faith based and more anti-science, anti-fact, and anti-evidence.
You got it backwards. Liberals don't care about results (science), they only want to be judged by their intentions (theory/faith).

Old 04-23-2015, 12:59 PM

34,648 posts, read 18,285,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
What do you think?
I think liberals operate on emotion and some form of guilt.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:59 PM

14,888 posts, read 8,674,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
I think he/she might actually be a TEA party conservative, who is making outrageously silly and often ignorant comments just to reinforce the stereotype of the looney lefty.
Nope, just a mentally unstable liberal.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:07 PM

23,668 posts, read 16,805,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
rubbish pure and simple. we conservatives want REAL science, and REAL facts, and REAL evididence, not the crap that some come up with after they have doctored the information.

and liberals tend to go on "feelings" rather than real evidence.
I would assume your not religously conservative then. As that would throw out the "REAL facts, and REAL evididence" statement and replaced with "Faith" which is the opposite of Proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.