U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 06:17 PM

2,778 posts, read 1,565,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
When I went to school, admittedly long ago, it was always my observation that people in numeric-oriented fields, whether engineering, economics, finance, or computers, tended to be conservative, while those in word and image-oriented fields, whether languages, arts, or history, tended to be liberal. Obviously it's not 100%, but it was a trend. I never ran into a Marxist in the economics department, but they were all over the history and English departments.
I agree with economics and finance, but not computers-- Bill Gates is an enormous liberal.
I would also say that most intellectuals are left wing.

One of the reasons American culture leans to the right is because it is inherently anti-intellectual.
Rate this post positively

Old 04-23-2015, 07:22 PM

35,172 posts, read 22,699,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
When I went to school, admittedly long ago, it was always my observation that people in numeric-oriented fields, whether engineering, economics, finance, or computers, tended to be conservative, while those in word and image-oriented fields, whether languages, arts, or history, tended to be liberal. Obviously it's not 100%, but it was a trend. I never ran into a Marxist in the economics department, but they were all over the history and English departments.
I think you are right.

I am the only conservative artist, all my artist friends are liberals. I dated two engineers, both are conservative.

My own theory is this, In recent years, the dividing point has become open-mindedness, which suggests conservatives are, unflatteringly, defined by being closed-minded. So many artists believe they are liberals. (hence, trendy) It is not politically correct for me to say, but.. oh well, I know this is the truth. Many artists (especially the very successful ones) are closet conservative, although they will NEVER admit it.

when you really think about it, “To conserve” means “to save.” Nothing wrong with it.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:30 PM

13,762 posts, read 5,846,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Maude View Post
I would argue exactly the opposite, if by 'conservative' you mean grass roots conservatives.

The primary source of theory-based governance and opinion in this world tends to come from universities and big league bureaucrats. Their ability to try to get the world to fit a model (view modern public policies at the large scale, central banking, modern grievance based social movements) is unparalleled in history.
Yes. There is nothing "theory based" about conservatism. It is about following the old ways, the time-tested traditional practices, being slow and skeptical about change.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:35 PM

35,172 posts, read 22,699,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Yes. There is nothing "theory based" about conservatism. It is about following the old ways, the time-tested traditional practices, being slow and skeptical about change.
nah

The American Conservative Party exists to empower the populace through education in the principles of personal responsibility, individual liberty, traditional American values, free markets, limited government, and a strong national defense.

being slow and skeptical about change is not part of it.

Just for the record, we (the younger generation of conservatives) are not proud of Rush Limbaugh, nor do we hate or look down on liberals.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:39 PM

13,762 posts, read 5,846,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
nah

The American Conservative Party exists to empower the populace through education in the principles of personal responsibility, individual liberty, traditional American values, free markets, limited government, and a strong national defense.

being slow and skeptical about change is not part of it.

Just for the record, we (the younger generation of conservatives) are not proud of Rush Limbaugh, nor do we hate or look down on liberals.
I don't know anything about the American Conservative Party. I'm talking about what it actually means to be conservative in a basic sense.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:41 PM

69,360 posts, read 58,744,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Conservatives are more likely to be faith based and more anti-science, anti-fact, and anti-evidence.
Unless of course we're discussing things like global warming, why people are gay etc, cause then liberals pretend their opinion is fact..

Old 04-23-2015, 07:47 PM

48,508 posts, read 88,924,898 times
No; I think liberals are more self based on issues. Whatever turns you on says as much.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:52 PM

8,808 posts, read 9,616,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I got this from desertdetroiters thread on Obamas poll ratings worldwide. People automatically dismiss the poll because of sample size, when the sample of 1000 isn't actually that bad, statistically speaking.

But it seems that conservatives in general don't like studies. I'll admit, there are a lot of flawed ones, but not all of them are. Why is it that they seem to dismiss studies so rapidly though? are liberals just as dismissive of studies?

I have found for issues like minimum wage, unemployment, effects of globalization... conservatives are generally much more theory based while liberals are more open minded to empirical results.

What do you think?
This is really very funny... Liberalism is built on theory even when the overwhelming evidence is slapping them up long side the head. Poverty, education, taxation, gun control, family, global warming, etc,etc,etc....

Last edited by silas777; 04-23-2015 at 08:04 PM..

Old 04-23-2015, 07:59 PM

18,782 posts, read 15,474,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Conservatism in current parlance is really a misnomer and has nothing to do with tradition or resistance to change. Just as liberalism has nothing to do with liberty.

Conservatism now means individualism, and liberalism means collectivism. This explains a wide range of difference between conservatives and liberals, from taxes, to gun control to education. Conservatives want low taxes so that money is left in the hands of the individual. Liberals prefer that more money go into the hands of the collective. Conservatives want guns in the hands of the individual; liberals want them restricted to the collective i.e. police and military. Conservatives favor home schooling and vouchers. They like educational choice in the hands of the parent, whereas liberals want the decision to remain in the hands of the collective.

It's easy to get lost in misconstrued nomenclature.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:04 PM

69,360 posts, read 58,744,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
This is really very funny... Liberalism is built on theory even when the overwhelming evidence is slapping them up long side the head. Poverty, education, taxation, gun control, family, global warming, etc,etc,etc....
Cant forget the old, need to pass ACA in order to insure every american. What? It wont insure every american? Sure it will, theory says so..

Or how about it'll reduce the cost of insurance if we insure more people.. Wont do that either? Sure it will, theory says so..

etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.