Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 01:56 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Conservatives are more likely to be faith based and more anti-science, anti-fact, and anti-evidence.

Who knew that all those people standing in welfare lines were such brainiacs with an interest in empirical data?

The things you learn on these boards!

Old 04-23-2015, 02:14 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,275,196 times
Both sides do this to varying degrees.

However, I agree with the OP'S premise. Just look at the political affiliation of the climate change deniers vs all of the science that backs it.

Conservatives are more "emotionally motivated" by far. They are against things such as abortion and welfare "on principle," even though almost all studies show that these things reduce crime which is something that both parties should care about.

All studies also show that the death penalty does not deter crime, yet the right still feels that certain people should be dead.

The emotion of "paranoia" is also high on the right. Conservatives often express that liberals are "coming for their guns" and 'freedoms," when in reality, it's a very small number of liberals who really care strongly about guns either way.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:17 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,275,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

Who knew that all those people standing in welfare lines were such brainiacs with an interest in empirical data?

Here is something else to learn:

1. Most liberals are not on welfare.
2. Most people on welfare don't vote.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:22 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I got this from desertdetroiters thread on Obamas poll ratings worldwide. People automatically dismiss the poll because of sample size, when the sample of 1000 isn't actually that bad, statistically speaking.

But it seems that conservatives in general don't like studies. I'll admit, there are a lot of flawed ones, but not all of them are. Why is it that they seem to dismiss studies so rapidly though? are liberals just as dismissive of studies?

I have found for issues like minimum wage, unemployment, effects of globalization... conservatives are generally much more theory based while liberals are more open minded to empirical results.

What do you think?

I do not think so. because liberals will only base their decisions upon the studies that they want to fit their beliefs, not actual unbiased studies.

Last edited by monkeywrenching; 04-23-2015 at 02:36 AM..

Old 04-23-2015, 02:24 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
There is no difference between mainstream libs and mainstream cons.

They both believe in some version of an involuntary state that either actively or passively wields force on others.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:27 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post

All studies also show that the death penalty does not deter crime,
False, amazing the things liberals know that just aren't true.

Quote:

"Science does really draw a conclusion. It did. There is no question about
it," said Naci Mocan, an economics professor at the University of Colorado at
Denver. "The conclusion is there is a deterrent effect."

A 2003 study he co-authored, and a 2006 study that re-examined the data,
found that each execution results in five fewer homicides, and commuting a death
sentence means five more homicides. "The results are robust, they don't really
go away," he said. "I oppose the death penalty. But my results show that the
death penalty (deters) _ what am I going to do, hide them?"

Statistical studies like his are among a dozen papers since 2001 that capital
punishment has deterrent effects. They all explore the same basic theory _ if
the cost of something (be it the purchase of an apple or the act of killing
someone) becomes too high, people will change their behavior (forego apples or
shy from murder).

To explore the question, they look at executions and homicides, by year and
by state or county, trying to tease out the impact of the death penalty on
homicides by accounting for other factors, such as unemployment data and per
capita income, the probabilities of arrest and conviction, and more.

Given the stats that each execution saves lives we have to come to the conclusion that it is liberals emotional reaction to executions that prevent wider use of the death penalty. I mean what kind of person prefers five innocent individuals being murdered over one homicidal individual being executed?

Last edited by whogo; 04-23-2015 at 02:49 AM..

Old 04-23-2015, 04:59 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,344,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I got this from desertdetroiters thread on Obamas poll ratings worldwide. People automatically dismiss the poll because of sample size, when the sample of 1000 isn't actually that bad, statistically speaking.

But it seems that conservatives in general don't like studies. I'll admit, there are a lot of flawed ones, but not all of them are. Why is it that they seem to dismiss studies so rapidly though? are liberals just as dismissive of studies?

I have found for issues like minimum wage, unemployment, effects of globalization... conservatives are generally much more theory based while liberals are more open minded to empirical results.

What do you think?
Liberals are mostly emotionally based and that's a huge problem.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:06 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Both sides do this to varying degrees.

However, I agree with the OP'S premise. Just look at the political affiliation of the climate change deniers vs all of the science that backs it.

Conservatives are more "emotionally motivated" by far. They are against things such as abortion and welfare "on principle," even though almost all studies show that these things reduce crime which is something that both parties should care about.

All studies also show that the death penalty does not deter crime, yet the right still feels that certain people should be dead.

The emotion of "paranoia" is also high on the right. Conservatives often express that liberals are "coming for their guns" and 'freedoms," when in reality, it's a very small number of liberals who really care strongly about guns either way.
meanwhile its the liberals that deny science and the fact that climate changes naturally, and has many, many times

science fact shows we have been warming since the end of the last main ice age 15,000 years ago... and the warming will continue till we get to the global average around 72' f just like the other 6+ waming trends...then we will start cooling again.........

but the liberals think only with their 3rd points of contact and lie and say 'man-made'...meanwhile science proves its a natural cycle

so who really is the deniers.... the people who look at science FACT that says warming and cooling are cycles and man cant change it...or the people who believe that man is so evil, that we are causing it......

Old 04-23-2015, 05:32 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,547,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

All people in welfare lines are liberal?

I'd like the empirical data for that.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:38 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
All people in welfare lines are liberal?

I'd like the empirical data for that.
who said that??? not one poster here said all welfare recipients were liberals

but it is the liberals that PUSH welfare that KEEPS people in poverty

the liberals love to spin and lie... "welfare will help you""...facts show differently ..it keeps people in poverty instead of giving the helping hand OUT of poverty, that they say it will
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies