Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2015, 01:53 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
The truth is that most national corporations based in the USA are always looking for excuses to pay people less, no matter how hard they work.
Don't know about that since most see large amounts of turnover as problematic. Of course, the don't want to overpay. As an employee it's wise to develop skills and effort that aren't easily replaced - that way the company is interested in doing more to keep you, including moving into a better position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 01:59 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Living on rice and ramen noodles is the perfect recipe for obesity and diabetes. The resulting medical problems from years of high carbohydrate diets have expensive consequences. You'll end up paying a lot more for Medicaid and Medicare down the line than if you spend a little more to properly educate people on better dietary choices and a bit more protein consumption.
Who said anything about "years"...... My suggestion was a temporary one, until you can improve your situation. See, that's the argument in a nutshell. People don't want to improve their situation. They want their situation to improve for them, while doing nothing differently to actually improve it.

You know there were times when my grandmother could only afford peanut butter and crackers to feed her three daughters. She worked two jobs and often went without so she could feed her kids. Then, later in life, she had to buy a weeks worth of groceries on $8 to feed her family, with the addition of two more boys to the equation. She managed. She worked to raise a garden for extra food, worked a full time job and raised a family and kept house to boot. NOBODY gave her a handout. NOBODY gave her anything. She didn't come from money. She told me her Christmas present ( singular ) used to be a pencil for school, and she was happy to get it. She worked for everything, and now she's sitting pretty with over 200 acres of land and no mortgage. No house payment. A brand new vehicle that she paid off in full, and in cash. A good sized bank account from what I understand too. She wants for nothing in her old age. Even though she's got money now though, she still lives in that poverty stricken mindset. Still pinching pennies and planning for the unknown.

Remarkable isn't it? The vast difference in narrative between two coinciding generations?

Old 04-24-2015, 02:01 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
The difference between successful people and unsuccessful people is
that successful people do all the things unsuccessful people don't want to

do.

So I guess low-paid fruit pickers are successful then, to this billionaire. I don't think he thought his comments through.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:04 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post

do.

So I guess low-paid fruit pickers are successful then, to this billionaire. I don't think he thought his comments through.
I'm sure the billionaire knows nothing about supply and demand you just made him look silly.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:11 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I'm sure the billionaire knows nothing about supply and demand you just made him look silly.
The billionaire's comment was stolen from a fortune cookie.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
The billionaire's comment was stolen from a fortune cookie.
Or was the fortune cookie comment stollen from the billionaire?

Old 04-24-2015, 02:14 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Or was the fortune cookie comment stolen from the billionaire?
Doubt it, unless this billionaire is known for their vague comments about success.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Doubt it, unless this billionaire is known for their vague comments about success.
I wonder if a snippet of a comment ever gets taken out of context?

Old 04-24-2015, 02:21 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
do.

No, I don't think you thought his comments through....

They are only successful if they are willing to do that job and use that experience to find something better. But, people who are satisfied to just keep picking that fruit and expect success to come from that, are unsuccessful people.

That is the difference.

The Liberal / Progressive ( regressive ) argument is that we should reward those people who are content to just stare up at that fruit tree and wait for the product to fall for the rest of their career.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:28 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Who said anything about "years"...... My suggestion was a temporary one, until you can improve your situation. See, that's the argument in a nutshell. People don't want to improve their situation. They want their situation to improve for them, while doing nothing differently to actually improve it.

You know there were times when my grandmother could only afford peanut butter and crackers to feed her three daughters. She worked two jobs and often went without so she could feed her kids. Then, later in life, she had to buy a weeks worth of groceries on $8 to feed her family, with the addition of two more boys to the equation. She managed. She worked to raise a garden for extra food, worked a full time job and raised a family and kept house to boot. NOBODY gave her a handout. NOBODY gave her anything. She didn't come from money. She told me her Christmas present ( singular ) used to be a pencil for school, and she was happy to get it. She worked for everything, and now she's sitting pretty with over 200 acres of land and no mortgage. No house payment. A brand new vehicle that she paid off in full, and in cash. A good sized bank account from what I understand too. She wants for nothing in her old age. Even though she's got money now though, she still lives in that poverty stricken mindset. Still pinching pennies and planning for the unknown.

Remarkable isn't it? The vast difference in narrative between two coinciding generations?
I'm living it now! I thought about retirement before I started working and saved throughout my working career. My house is paid off and I have enough money in the bank to write out a check for a similar one if I had to. I listened my parents' stories about the depression ...changed a few things they did and retired at 51.

But for the vast majority of the poor, life is a totally different experience. They live in the "here and now" with little forethought to what the future may bring. It is very difficult to inculcate middle class values to people like that. Very few people can lift themselves up by their own bootstraps in this day and age. I do have a bit more empathy for the poor and uneducated than you do, simply because I've lived a bit more and have seen a few more sides of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies