Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 03:00 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,748,814 times

Advertisements

As there is a lot of hoopla about conservative talk radio from a couple of the left-wingers herein, and one specifically, it struck me hardly anything is posted about liberal talk radio, except when something exciting happens to one of them. Like al franken. And of course since his election was finalized and he has taken his appointed seat in Congress, well, there still isn't much said about him, now, either.

So I went a-searchin' for some information. I googled liberal talk radio hosts and got a whopping 5-1/4 million hits. So then I googled conservative talk radio hosts and got 131 million hits. Wow, Man, talk about a disparity in hits! But, but, why would that be, I wonder?

Without going into any detail, I would suppose a lot has to do with the negativity of the liberal talk radio hosts, vs the perceived negativity of the conservative talk radio hosts. Could that be it, could that be the defining factor in popularity?

Oh, some good info about talk radio is here: Progressive talk radio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia And I guess I should change liberal to progressive. But I'm not going to edit to satisfy all of you.

And in that wiki hit, there is mention of the repeal of the "fairness doctrine" which affected the growth of talk radio, both sides, monumentally. Now the liberals are yakking it up about reinstating this doctrine. I can only say this: What is good for the goose, is good for the gander. Can't have it both ways, try as they may.

Let me write something further here, just to give you a notion of my stance in all this: I am a White Anglo-Saxon Protestant from Mississippi. I served my country in the US Navy for 20+ years, and I am damned proud of my service. I served under Mista Jimma, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, and Bush. I have seen the military services suffer greatly under the Democrat administrations, and have seen the military services rebound time and again under the Republicans. That being written, let it be known I was not happy with the second Bush all around, but he was elected and served. I'm just so happy that neither Gore nor Kerry got to sit in the hot seat for one day.

But Bush is no longer President. Barack Obama is President, having been duly elected and sworn in. No, I did not vote for him, and not because he's a mulatto, either, but because of his background, his lack of leadership, and some of his personal affiliations with other folks who I also do not trust. I voted my conscience, and that's all there is to that. You wish to pick that apart, have at it. You can't change it, and neither can I.

But back to the beginning: Why is liberal talk radio so far in the background they cannot be heard as easily as the conservative talk radio programs? I think there is a station in Dallas I've heard from time-to-time, but the negativity is always so strong - about everything - I just don't waste my time to listen. I'd rather listen to nothing at all, than negativity, from either side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 03:27 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,583,506 times
There is a liberal talk station in Dallas. Its 1360 am. I think its called rational radio. I listen to it from time to time along with 820 am WBAP which is a conservative station to get opposing view points. I prefer 1080 am here. Its more mainstream and moderate.

Both the liberal and conservative stations just rant for the sake of ranting. Gotta get listeners, gotta get paid, and gotta get attention.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:30 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,578,894 times
Didnt know there were still liberal talk radioheads on the air. I thought they all crawled up Al Frankens buns and disappeared..wow their losses must be close to our deficit..but I guess George Soros will keep them alive...

Old 08-18-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
There is a liberal talk station in Dallas. Its 1360 am. I think its called rational radio. I listen to it from time to time along with 820 am WBAP which is a conservative station to get opposing view points. I prefer 1080 am here. Its more mainstream and moderate.

Both the liberal and conservative stations just rant for the sake of ranting. Gotta get listeners, gotta get paid, and gotta get attention.
Ah, thanks! 1360 doesn't come in well out here in the sticks, and 1080 is shaky at best. Listen to 820 a whole bunch. But I'll try again on the other two.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:35 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,457,628 times
As someone that is progressive I don't really listen to the radio or watch TV because it is junk. I prefer to get my information via reading and documentaries.

Talk radio is also a pretty bad medium since a lot of issues require context and background to understand, and that stuff is boring so it is rarely discussed on most talk radio.

The only talk radio I really listen to is stuff like This American Life and Radiolab, which most people would probably consider to be boring as hell.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:45 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,634,434 times
There is nothing "progressive" about liberalism

Old 08-18-2009, 03:45 PM

56 posts, read 73,436 times
Firstly Delta Planter, thank you for your service. people like you are what makes this country great.
There's little else lately!

Ahhh talk radio. One of my passions.
I think Liberal talk radio suffers largely due to the fact that about 95% of all media is liberal.
Therefore conservative talk radio offers the ONLY alternate view points apart from FOX and a very few print media publications.

The major networks have changed. They are now acing as an extension of the administration and will not offer criticism toward the Obama government. As if it wasn't bad enough all ready.

I won't go into too much here and try and keep on topic but I for one thank god for freedom of speech and hope that day never comes when our useless congress signs the "Fairness doctrine" that Pelosi wants so badly.
This for those that are unaware is a piece of legislation that would close the doors to conservative talk radio. Our government doesn't like us actually using freedom of speech.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:58 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,015,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
Without going into any detail, I would suppose a lot has to do with the negativity of the liberal talk radio hosts, vs the perceived negativity of the conservative talk radio hosts. Could that be it, could that be the defining factor in popularity?
First of all, what makes you think the negativity of one side is real and of the other side only perceived?????

Secondly, do a search. There was a thread on this a while back.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:16 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,014,469 times
As Finkie said above, radio often lacks context, which is needed to understand. I guess anyone who listens to rants out of context is looking for someone to tell them what to think (on any side). Progressives generally think more for themselves, which is probably why they don't as often seek the talk radio hosts to tell them how to think, and thus the market for progressive talk radio is smaller.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
First of all, what makes you think the negativity of one side is real and of the other side only perceived?????

Secondly, do a search. There was a thread on this a while back.
Firstly, it's an opinion. Do I need to spell that out for ya?

Secondly, I don't live here, so if there was a thread, I guess I missed it. Now, then, why don't you go attempt to chastise someone who cares about your perception? Huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies