Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 05:34 AM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
In Britain, false accusers may be charged with perverting justice and possibly be sentenced to life imprisonment just like the men they falsely accuse.

Feminists don`t like it of course.

109 women prosecuted for false rape claims in five years, say campaigners | Law | The Guardian
How exactly do the police or prosecutors determine false accusations. There are cases where the accusers recant and there may be circumstances where there are obvious issues that raise questions regarding a victims claim but I would expect that to be a small percentage. The link you posted indicated "what police believe", they need to establish facts not conjecture.

Just because someone is found innocent doesn't necessarily mean that they actually are, rape cases are very difficult to prove. The larger issue is the number of rapes where victims are unwilling to go to court or the assailant gets off because of lack of evidence. The last thing we need to do is put another deterrent in the way of victims, why single out just the crime of rape relative to false accusations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 05:40 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
Are you so certain it was a false allegation? Based on what?

How to Make an Accused Rapist Look Good

The Treatment of Emma Sulkowicz Proves We Still Have No Idea How to Talk About Rape - Mic

Do you have a young daughter or granddaughter in their late teens/early 20's? Read the above links which provide a lot more background and context than the link you provided, then tell us if you would want your young daughter or granddaughter anywhere near Paul Nungessor. I do have a daughter in college, and I certainly wouldn't want her anywhere near him. I also wouldn't accept any story written by Cathy Young without a lot of fact-checking first.

How about the presumption of innocence?

That work for ya?

Defendant in Internet Sex Abuse Case Rejects Plea Bargain - NYTimes.com

Not every innocent man accused of rape can prove his innocence in court.

Old 04-26-2015, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
How exactly do the police or prosecutors determine false accusations. There are cases where the accusers recant and there may be circumstances where there are obvious issues that raise questions regarding a victims claim but I would expect that to be a small percentage. The link you posted indicated "what police believe", they need to establish facts not conjecture.

Just because someone is found innocent doesn't necessarily mean that they actually are, rape cases are very difficult to prove. The larger issue is the number of rapes where victims are unwilling to go to court or the assailant gets off because of lack of evidence. The last thing we need to do is put another deterrent in the way of victims, why single out just the crime of rape relative to false accusations

The "larger issue" is due process of law and the fact that we have thousands of men falsely convicted of rape rotting in prisons.

People like you who seem to have no real concern about men being falsely convicted of rape are the reason accusers are not held accountable for ruining innocent men`s lives.

As long as I know an accuser can lie without fear of significant consequences, I have to assume she is in fact lying.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:01 AM

Quote:
I agree that anyone making a false allegation of rape should be punished. However, it also happens that rape victims can sometimes end up being 'punished' for being raped - by being accused of making false allegations and having their reputations trashed - while the rapist gets away scot free, only to rape another person or more than one.

How about tabloid journalists who protect rapists who have a history of sexual assault allegations by harassing the rapists victims and trashing their reputations by publishing personal communications deliberately out of context with a distorted timeframe - and without their consent? Just for a juicy story?

Should they be punished?

Have some examples?

Old 04-26-2015, 06:16 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Do we prosecute false accusations of any other crime?
Yes. Here is one example;

Arrest brings challenge to Texas sodomy law | Lubbock Online | Lubbock Avalanche-Journal

Old 04-26-2015, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Well, should we just quit prosecuting rapists? Just tell the victims to "put it behind them"? Those that make false accusations do so knowing that their victims may go to prison for decades. They are worse scum than actual rapists-and that's saying a lot. They should serve the maximum sentence that their victims would have.
This is true.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Are you so certain it was a false allegation? Based on what?

Do you have a young daughter or granddaughter in their late teens/early 20's? Read the above links which provide a lot more background and context than the link you provided, then tell us if you would want your young daughter or granddaughter anywhere near Paul Nungessor. I do have a daughter in college, and I certainly wouldn't want her anywhere near him. I also wouldn't accept any story written by Cathy Young without a lot of fact-checking first.
what does my family have to do with this?

There are a lot of men I would not want my family dating but that doesn't mean they are rapists.

And what facts do you have about Cathy Young that makes you doubt her?

Old 04-26-2015, 06:26 AM

Quote:
How about tabloid journalists who protect rapists who have a history of sexual assault allegations by harassing the rapists victims and trashing their reputations by publishing personal communications deliberately out of context with a distorted timeframe - and without their consent? Just for a juicy story?

Should they be punished?
I've never seen tabloid journalists protect anyone accused of rape. They usually do just the opposite. Just look at the recent Rolling Stone fiasco.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:41 AM

11,336 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
You can be sued in civil court for your false accusations, but there should be laws on the books that punish those who have lied about rape. Crystal Magnum, the Duke lacrosse accuser, was never punished for her false allegations (though she's in prison now for murder).
It's called Karma.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Just because someone is found innocent doesn't necessarily mean that they actually are, rape cases are very difficult to prove.
I agree. It is often a case of "he said", "she said".

Quote:
The larger issue is the number of rapes where victims are unwilling to go to court or the assailant gets off because of lack of evidence. The last thing we need to do is put another deterrent in the way of victims, why single out just the crime of rape relative to false accusations
I don't agree. The last thing we need to do is put an innocent person in jail. I would rather have ten guilty people go free than one innocent person wrongly incarcerated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies