Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2015, 11:49 AM

45,089 posts, read 60,158,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I've heard this a few times in this discussion. Can you show me the rule where the governor can't call the guard without mayor request? (If true, then I'll back down on that part of my comments)
Have at it:

https://www.fema.gov/national-incide...agement-system

Emergency management flows from the bottom up-local, county, state, federal. You don't skip steps.

Could Hogan have declared a State of Emergency sooner? Certainly but he was deferring to the Mayor, which is policy.

That State of Emergency has to be coupled with a request from the Mayor for deployment of the National Guard. Absent that they can only patrol State owned properties and roads and have to leave the local assets to the local departments. Why you saw MD Transit Police and MSP in the City was due to interjurisdictional agreements which have been implemented over the years. Most Counties and municipalities in MD have them with each other. That's purely financial.

This is all fairly new, since Katrina, because of the multiple screw ups then. Most of which were at the State and local levels.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:49 AM

30,696 posts, read 21,836,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
It is a police problem and the double standard one puts on the life of a lay citizen versus an officer. It has nothing to do with "values" taught at home and especially nothing to do with daddies.

Asians in Asia have riots and destroy things. Latinos here have had riots and participate in riots and destroy things. It is not a racial issue. The media is tricking you into believing it is and making people polarized against each other, but in the end, any police officer's word will be more believed and valued than you or me, no matter your race. They are placed upon a pedestal, even if they perform acts that are worse than the criminals of which they are policing. That is the issue.

ETA: Plenty of white people have been abused, killed, beaten and harrassed by police. Like I stated earlier, media doesn't put those stories out there because it would not be as polarizing as a racial police assault/shooting/killing of a black person. There are sources to get this sort of information. There is a blog where a guy posts lots of stories of police brutality and even though the majority is perpetuated against blacks, poor whites and especially Latinos are also abused. Do not forget the Indian Asian man who was assaulted for walking in his son's neighborhood in Alabama by police. It happens to everyone. But if any of these people were assaulted by a non-officer, they would be in jail. The officers will get support and a slap on the wrist and no punishment at all for their crimes in most cases.
I would have to agree with the media slant, but why? Does it come down to ratings?

Old 04-28-2015, 11:50 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,778,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
Asians and Latinos don't have histories where they came from???? why do you think they come to America?....they have with bigger obstacles than the African-Americans in this country when they arrived.

Slavery ended in 1865 and the civil rights act was passed in 1964......if that's the excuse to destroy YOUR OWN communities then the black people will NEVER rise in this country.

Native Americans got it worse than Blacks in U.S. history, I don't see them destroying and burning down their communities like blacks do everytime somebody dies at the hands of the police.
He is talking about in this country Hellion!

Slavery did end in 1865. Reconstruction ended in 1876 and since 1876 black people have been harrassed and killed and brutalized by police and law enforcement mobs and the court systems.

1964 was only 51 years ago and in 1964 black people were harrassed and killed and brutalized by law enforcement mobs and court systems and the same is happening today.

Black people have risen since 1964 in practically all categories economically and educationally. Just because the media feeds you images of poor, fatherless, ignorant black people doesn't mean that all or even a majority of black people are like those images. I certainly am not and have been harrassed and falsely imprisoned by police and my husband was beaten. We are both college educated and married and make a very good family income.

Native Americans are very small in number and don't have the visibility of black Americans in our society. In practically all social areas, they are the worse off in our country and it has to do with the genocide that was perpetuated against them and the horrors of the past that IMO were worse than those instituted amongst black people in many ways. You can tell who is treated the best to the worse in all categories in this country very easily by looking at specific demographic statistics.

ETA: There was an is a such thing as AIM (American Indian Movement). Many of their leaders and participants, like the original Black Panther Party were imprisoned and are still imprisoned today for acts of protest and supposed "terrorism." Officers who perpetuated similar attacks against individuals and members of those groups, did not face criminal investigation, charges, or prison time.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:55 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,307,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
Asians and Latinos don't have histories where they came from???? why do you think they come to America?....they have with bigger obstacles than the African-Americans in this country when they arrived.

Slavery ended in 1865 and the civil rights act was passed in 1964......if that's the excuse to destroy YOUR OWN communities then the black people will NEVER rise in this country.

Native Americans got it worse than Blacks in U.S. history, I don't see them destroying and burning down their communities like blacks do everytime somebody dies at the hands of the police.
Awww, heck. You're right. Everything is all better now. Feel better?

Old 04-28-2015, 11:57 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,242,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
He is talking about in this country Hellion!

Slavery did end in 1865. Reconstruction ended in 1876 and since 1876 black people have been harrassed and killed and brutalized by police and law enforcement mobs and the court systems.

1964 was only 51 years ago and in 1964 black people were harrassed and killed and brutalized by law enforcement mobs and court systems and the same is happening today.

Black people have risen since 1964 in practically all categories economically and educationally. Just because the media feeds you images of poor, fatherless, ignorant black people doesn't mean that all or even a majority of black people are like those images. I certainly am not and have been harrassed and falsely imprisoned by police and my husband was beaten. We are both college educated and married and make a very good family income.

Native Americans are very small in number and don't have the visibility of black Americans in our society. In practically all social areas, they are the worse off in our country and it has to do with the genocide that was perpetuated against them and the horrors of the past that IMO were worse than those instituted amongst black people in many ways. You can tell who is treated the best to the worse in all categories in this country very easily by looking at specific demographic statistics.

ETA: There was an is a such thing as AIM (American Indian Movement). Many of their leaders and participants, like the original Black Panther Party were imprisoned and are still imprisoned today for acts of protest and supposed "terrorism." Officers who perpetuated similar attacks against individuals and members of those groups, did not face criminal investigation, charges, or prison time.

the youths that are doing these crimes have nothing to do with slavery before 1865 or the Jim Crow laws.......they have NO excuse to commit these crimes, PERIOD!

To bring past history to excuse these thugs is a joke..............that's like saying Jews have a valid excuse to destroy property and burn buildings in Germany and the rest of Europe today for the looong history against the Jews in the past......that's ignorant.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:59 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,242,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Awww, heck. You're right. Everything is all better now. Feel better?

a lot better than 1865 and pre- 1964.

not better for the ordinary folks living in this hell hole created by a minority of thugs.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:00 PM

17,363 posts, read 9,189,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
its all done and hopefully over with soon.....so, out of everything bad comes some good, and maybe the good that came out of this is that, Many more Americans can clearly see what cops have to deal with....I'm not saying there are no bad cops, but there are a whole lot more good cops, and anyone in their right mind, wouldn't use anything as an excuse to do what these criminals did, they are not protesters, they are in fact criminals, and I wish the cops would close in and grab them, put them on a bus and hall their butts off to jail....lock them up with real criminals for awhile....

It is high time we start obeying our own laws, and stop allowing people like this mayor, and others to excuse everyone for breaking them....you don't reward bad behavior....so, you fire this mayor, and hire another and if that person doesn't do the job, you fire that person.....stop rewarding bad behavior....period.

When you don't enforce laws, this is what happens...chaos...
It's NOT done & It's NOT over. You need to find a transcript or Video of what President Stompy Foot just said in the Rose Garden with the Japanese Prime Minister. Obama was asked about the Crisis that is happening in Baltimore and other Cities with these Riots.

He sees this "crisis" as a White Police officer killing a Black man every week or so, the lack of education and sending the members of the Black community to jail for their crimes. He sees the solution as "no more jail" and LOTS more money thrown at the Black Communities.

I'd say we have a major dis-connect here. He sounds a lot like Madam Mayor.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:01 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,281,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
It was the war on drugs that locked up a lot of black men. Stop the war on drugs.
And, it isn't just blacks that get harassed, violated/killed by the police.
There are a lot of folks out there with the same story. And, that does need addressing.

I also think it has more to do with poverty than just a race or drug issue. If more girls/young women would stop having children they can neither care for or afford, this whole situation would change. The notion that
one is entitled to propagate at the village's expense has got to stop. And yeah, if that means bringing
shame back, I'm for that too.
The war on drugs was a specific policy creation first by Richard Nixon and then Ronald Reagan and it was apart of the same fear of black crime push. So I don't disagree.

Nah, its not about poverty. My family and friends were not poor and still faced these same issues with the police.

Its not about oow births my parents and my friends parents were married went to college and we still were treated like crap by the police.

This has nothing to do with oow births, that doesn't make the police severe a man's spine and not explain why that occurs.

That doesn't explain why the city of Baltimore has paid settlements to over 100 people in the last 4yrs involving police brutality and civil rights violations.

Nah, these riots are about what these kinds of riots are always about, state sanctioned police violence and ill-treatment doled out to citizens.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:02 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,105,319 times
Sorry to derail/interrupt all the political rubbish being thrown around.

Kudos to this mother. Hit him upside the head, embarrassed him, and took him home. He's now a youtube sensation!!!! Need more mothers like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5V0YpGn6wo

Old 04-28-2015, 12:05 PM

9,879 posts, read 7,998,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yep, keep foaming at the mouth over this, do you even know why there is a riot going on?
There was a Reverend in Baltimore who articulated their anger well and then there's a statement from Newsweek in 2011, which pretty much sums up all of them.

"If there's one underlying condition that these movements share, it has to do with unemployment and bitter poverty among people who desire to be part of the middle class, and who are keenly aware of the sharp inequality between themselves and their country's wealthy elite."

^^^ with that said, they so much want to have "things" they loose their moral compass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies