Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 10:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Good reply ChocLot. I see your point. With regards to this, how will the "poor black community" fix these issues without the assistance of the "general black community", or other various forms of assistance? Much financial assistance has already been thrown into these impoverished areas, yet there is no appreciation. I agree that many of the same problems plague the underclass white population, but when was the last time that there was a massive riot consisting of nothing but poverty stricken whites?
Money is not going to make this problem go away.

Poor urban inner cities are powder kegs just waiting for the right moment to explode.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:10 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,577,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I have a problem with this statement as it seems to suggest that I, as a black person, am responsible for fixing the problems and troubles of other black people. Black people I don't know, have never met and will never meet. Is that really fair?

Rather than considering this a problem for the "black community" to fix, I think this is a problem that the "poor community" needs to fix. Many of the problems that plague underclass black people, plague underclass white people as well.
Um....But, poor white people, poor Jewish people, and poor Chinese people are NOT looting and burning down buildings and cars.

You talk like all "poor communities" are doing these things.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:26 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Good reply ChocLot. I see your point. With regards to this, how will the "poor black community" fix these issues without the assistance of the "general black community", or other various forms of assistance? Much financial assistance has already been thrown into these impoverished areas, yet there is no appreciation. I agree that many of the same problems plague the underclass white population, but when was the last time that there was a massive riot consisting of nothing but poverty stricken whites?
Well, you have to look at the motivation for the rioting. When whites riot, it's usually over winning/losing sporting events or something similar. When black people riot, it's primarily due to a perceived injustice. The motivation for the rioting will determine how intense it is and how wound up and angry people are during the protest. And, while I don't agree with rioting, if the result is an overhaul of the police state in the US, it will be worth it.

How to fix the problem with the underclass in the US? In all honesty, there is no fix. There will always be an underclass and the problems that plague its citizens. That's just the way it is. Beating your head against the wall hoping people will value education and humanity is a lost cause. There will always be those left behind and those who don't care about getting ahead. And, as long as the drug war marches on, condemning young men to lives forever marred by prison records that prevent them from starting over and earning a respectable living, things won't change.

I grew up in the projects of DC where money was thrown at the problem. Putting money into schools where the enthusiasm of teachers is lackluster at best, is not really a great motivator. It's the same in rural areas. No value for education and they shun those who want to go to college and do better by calling them elitist.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:32 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Um....But, poor white people, poor Jewish people, and poor Chinese people are NOT looting and burning down buildings and cars.

You talk like all "poor communities" are doing these things.
You're right. Middle/upper class white college kids are usually the looters.

And poor blacks don't randomly riot. It's usually the result of an event, much like white rioters.

What's your point again?

To suggest that you know what poor Jewish and Chinese people do in their home countries is a little presumptuous, don't you think?

Old 04-27-2015, 10:35 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
True, Choclot, we need to save money for education disproportionately amongst regions with an appreciation for it. Do the basic K-12 public for all, but be selective with funds for anything beyond that. I have seen the same thing you talked about in your last paragraph-rural and urban areas who loathe education. We should allow them to continue, unaided, in dire poverty. Maybe after enough generations rotting, they will learn to seek avenues that allow for a better life.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:40 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,042,755 times
Quote:
You've written out a list of excuses. That you even bothered to write this, with absolutely NO proof to back your position is amazing. If you condemned all looting, I'd have more respect for you.
Whether you want to believe it or not, what I stated is pretty mjuch true. Look at the amount of violence, dollar cost and lives lost in black riots compared to the amount of violence, dollar cost and lives lost in a 'white riot' and the difference is night and day. And also for having SIX TIMES the population of whites to blacks, the number of riots involving whites is VERY LOW. The reason why I'm pointing this out is because you want to make it sound like blacks and whites are equal in this regard when clearly that isn't the case.

And you want to talk about excuses, at least a few blacks who were interviewed by CNN have already complained about the cops NOT MOVING IN QUICK ENOUGH to stop businesses from being looted and other property being damaged or destroyed. In the past blacks complained that cops were acting too hastily and aggressively and now they're complaining that the response was TOO SLOW. So which is it then? Blacks hate cops yet they want them to protect them and their property, BUT if they act a little too quickly they complain that they were overly aggressive, if they act more slowly, blacks complain about cops allowing businesses in their communities to be looted and destroyed. Basically its damned if you do and damned if you don't with blacks.

But back to what we were discussing, there's a reason why major news outlets don't cover mostly white riots nearly as in depth and for as long as black riots because white riots are relatively speaking minor incidents that don't have longterm effects to the neighborhoods involved compared to black riots.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:44 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,465 times
When whites get mad, they shoot up a movie theater, or an elementary school, blacks riot and tear up the neighborhood, that's about it.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:45 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
At the same time, Max, the quantity of police incidents where killing was their 1st resort alarms me. I'm looking at pds the way I Looked at the Roman Catholic Church I grew up in with their thousands of pedophile cases. In both instances, I am alarmed at what I think is a systemic problem.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:47 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,834,136 times
I see where you are coming from with this statement. From my perspective, why people may suggest that, is bc so many blacks seem to lump their entire race together through all of this. For example, mike brown assaulted a cop, robbed a store, and was killed in a confrontation. Yet so many blacks claimed he represented them.

I've never understood automatically identifying with someone just based on race. My peers are my social friends, people from my job, really anyone with the same values as me. Race has nothing to do with it, and I don't relate to white people just bc we are both white.

Quote:
I have a problem with this statement as it seems to suggest that I, as a black person, am responsible for fixing the problems and troubles of other black people. Black people I don't know, have never met and will never meet. Is that really fair?

Rather than considering this a problem for the "black community" to fix, I think this is a problem that the "poor community" needs to fix. Many of the problems that plague underclass black people, plague underclass white people as well.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:51 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,042,755 times
Quote:

If this is the case, then why is West Virginia which is 93% white and is ranked 49th out of 50 states in median household income has a murder rate that is LOWER than the national average? In fact in alot of categories of crime West Virigina is at or lower than the national average. So if poverty is suppose to be the main cause of crime, why is the bottom of the barrel in average income West Virigina not near the top for states with the highest crime rates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies