Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2015, 11:28 AM

11,011 posts, read 10,967,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
At the end of the day, the governor has responsibility to call the National Guard. He does not appoint the Mayor, so I understand there are a lot of politics and chain of command issues.

He stated in the interview (just ended) that he was in constant communication with the mayor.
-did he suggest to her to make the call?
-did he tell her that it is his ultimate responsibility, and if she doesn't, he will?
-did he finally say that "with respect, I disagree with the mayor that the situation does not warrant NG, and I thereby am making the call and taking responsibility."

No, no and no. People are going to play the race card. You're playing it here, and SURELY, people would have reacted EXACTLY as you say (also playing it). He should have been a leader, shown his respect, and made his decision. Instead, he deferred his authority to a lower authority and thus abdicated his responsibility as Governor of MD.

Bottom line: He was not a leader, he followed someone that just about everyone agreed was not up to the job. He ultimately needed to recognize that, take the reigns, and act with certainty. How can anyone disagree with this?
Uh huh. Meanwhile in the real world, his usurping her authority would NEVER have gone done well and likely would have exacerbated issues.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:29 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,194,740 times
She could have phrased that a lot better and chosen her words carefully. I'm sure she never had time to anticipate just how dull the population is and how dishonest media outlets are.

Not here to argue but what Mayor in their right mind would want citizens destroying her own town. This is why I listened to it with a different perspective than what Fox news wanted me to hear.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:30 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,519,768 times
I think she came out last night with a pretty strong statement against the violence; even calling those people thugs. Obama can really do little because its like the past going to effect private investment in the areas for decides the reputation of areas. I don't think many forget Watts and riots there when its mentioned.

28,840 posts, read 30,088,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
He is speaking live NOW. He JUST SAID that "he did not think it was appropriate". He avoided the question of "did he have authority".

Sorry, but any leader needs to recognize when the person who is calling the shots does not have it under control. The mayor failed, I give you that. The governor should have taken charge of the matter, rather than standing by.
but they cannot....that is what most people don't understand, shouldn't coulda woulda, but she had to ask for help..and she didn't want to.....

I'm sorry but that is the way it works....I don't know if you remember Katrina and all those people stranded for 3 days without food or water...it wasn't until the mayor finally said, "someone better get their arses down here and help", that heads started to spin.

I was really po'd at Bush for sitting by that long and not doing anything, nothing, and letting those people die....but then someone explained to me, that he wasn't allowed to until he was asked for help by the mayor....

11,188 posts, read 8,226,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Uh huh. Meanwhile in the real world, his usurping her authority would NEVER have gone done well and likely would have exacerbated issues.
Real world? So you think that people being pissed because he avoided a problem would have been worse than sitting by while all this happened, and then blaming someone else, who he was in constant contact with? Unbelievable.

People like you are the problem. Quit being so PC, and have the balls to actually DO SOMETHING and TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR IT.

46,001 posts, read 35,003,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I watched the video, not the news. I don't need to spin anything. Her words were quite clear and unambiguous.

I can see how her poorly worded statement confused you but you would defend her even if you were not confused.

So keep watching that left wing news so you can sharpen your spin skills. I'm sure you spin Obama's "you can keep your insurance" words too.
Well that would mean you took the statement in the literal sense, which doesn't surprise me....and, I am not the one who is confused about this being a poorly worded statement.

But maybe that is exactly what she meant, they sectioned off an area for people to riot and all is cool. I am sure that is what the right wingers are all foaming at the mouth for anyway, so enjoy your riot.

15,068 posts, read 6,110,466 times
This is how exactly how I understood her comment.

Quote:
:
“I made it very clear that we balance a very fine line between giving peaceful protesters space to protest. What I said is, in doing so, people can hijack that and use that space for bad,” the mayor said. “I did not say that we were accepting of it, I did not say we were passive to it. I was just explaining how property damage can happen during a peaceful protest. It is very unfortunate that members of your industry decided to mischaracterize my words and try to use it as a way to say that we are inciting violence, there is no such thing.
Of course, some in the media will try to twist her words, and those citizens who aren't too bright will buy their nonsense.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:31 AM

684 posts, read 998,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Just to note......how do you determine she is his mom based just upon this video? Too many people take Facebook posts as absolute gospel today. As far as we know it's his sister, aunt, neighbor, someone he stole from, etc.

Or staged.
Just because its on fb do not mean its uncreditable. How do you conclude that she is anything other than his mom is my question. This is a video from local news station NBC which has been featured on CBS This Morning and Today's Show all sources and common sense lead to her as his mom. If you couldn't tell at the amount of respect he had for his mom by not flinching or showing any aggression towards her. Would've been different if his neighbor had done the same. In other words stop being ignorant.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:32 AM

15,576 posts, read 10,290,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
The governor of Maryland was in damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. He wouldn't escape criticism, regardless of his choice to usurp the Baltimore mayor's power and send the guard or wait for her request for the guard.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:32 AM

11,188 posts, read 8,226,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
but they cannot....that is what most people don't understand, shouldn't coulda woulda, but she had to ask for help..and she didn't want to.....

I'm sorry but that is the way it works....I don't know if you remember Katrina and all those people stranded for 3 days without food or water...it wasn't until the mayor finally said, "someone better get their arses down here and help", that heads started to spin.
I've heard this a few times in this discussion. Can you show me the rule where the governor can't call the guard without mayor request? (If true, then I'll back down on that part of my comments)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies