Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 09:55 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Internet social experiment:
If you could 'choose' the race of your next door neighbor (all else being equal: income, education, 2 parent family, etc), would you have a preference (you can answer "It doesn't matter" but you still have to choose a preference):
black
white
Hispanic
Indian
Middle eastern/muslim
Asian
White.

Why? Simple, we would most likely have more things in common.

Things I would like my neighbor to be into:
Watersports (mainly wakesurfing)
Cooking BBQ
Watching college football
Listening to southern rock, classic rock, some country, blues/rock, garage rock
Riding dirt bikes
Playing washers
Hitting driving range
Building stuff

The odds are best that most of these interests would be shared are if my neighbor were a redneck.

Now, if I had the choice were between two neighbors and one was a white guy who was a vegetarian who couldn't swim, didn't like football and his one and only hobby was breeding hairless cats and the other was a black guy who loved BBQ, wrenched on dirt bikes, drank beer while swinging a driver and wore burnt orange, it would be the black guy hands down.

It comes down to a numbers game, and the odds are best that a white dude would have more things in common with me; therefore, if I'm forced to just pick out based upon race/ethnicity, the choice would be white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 09:56 AM

39,198 posts, read 27,570,476 times
I still choose my own neighborhood. I don't care who lives next door as long as we get along. I like quiet neighborhood, there should be safe distance between my neighbors and I.

I visited my friend one time, he lives in a multicultural neighborhood lol. The loud music at night is too much.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:01 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,014,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
White.

Why? Simple, we would most likely have more things in common.

Things I would like my neighbor to be into:
Watersports (mainly wakesurfing)
Cooking BBQ
Watching college football
Listening to southern rock, classic rock, some country, blues/rock, garage rock
Riding dirt bikes
Playing washers
Hitting driving range
Building stuff

The odds are best that most of these interests would be shared are if my neighbor were a redneck.

Now, if I had the choice were between two neighbors and one was a white guy who was a vegetarian who couldn't swim, didn't like football and his one and only hobby was breeding hairless cats and the other was a black guy who loved BBQ, wrenched on dirt bikes, drank beer while swinging a driver and wore burnt orange, it would be the black guy hands down.

It comes down to a numbers game, and the odds are best that a white dude would have more things in common with me; therefore, if I'm forced to just pick out based upon race/ethnicity, the choice would be white.
The question was picking a neighbor, not your best friend

Old 04-28-2015, 10:09 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
The question was picking a neighbor, not your best friend
I like being friends with my neighbors. I believe people who are friends with their neighbors are happier people.

BTW, I'm not friends with, nor do I know, the couple a few streets down who called the cops on me Sunday night. Had I known them, there is the chance the cops wouldn't have wasted their time. (Well, it wasn't a total waste of time, since I now have a rapport with those two cops.)

Old 04-28-2015, 10:19 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,104 times
I'd rather choose based on income level, personality and hobbies than race. I'd rather have an upper middle class black family who played soccer and loved to fish than a white trash welfare family that raised roosters and loved to fish.

If EVERYTHING were EXACTLY the same (they never are) other than race, I'd probably pick white though because in general people are happier and more comfortable in homogeneous societies.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:24 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,217,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Internet social experiment:
If you could 'choose' the race of your next door neighbor (all else being equal: income, education, 2 parent family, etc), would you have a preference (you can answer "It doesn't matter" but you still have to choose a preference):
black
white
Hispanic
Indian
Middle eastern/muslim
Asian
People of character not caring what race. someone who is a supporter of the constitution.
If that family is white and lives in a trailer I am as happy as if they were black and lived in a 10 million dollar mansion

Old 04-28-2015, 10:26 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,413 times
I don't get why the race of my neighbor should matter.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:29 AM

39,198 posts, read 27,570,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
People of character not caring what race. someone who is a supporter of the constitution.
If that family is white and lives in a trailer I am as happy as if they were black and lived in a 10 million dollar mansion
Same here. Since this is a hypothetical question, i agree with you.

I would always choose my own neighborhood. If I have to move, I would always choose another upper middle class neighborhood.

I have several white friends who used to live in the trailers, they are extraordinarily wonderful people. My brother's best friend is a black guy, he is now living in Louisiana. It is an honor to live next to people like him.

But then again, most my friends are Marines, so it is more about culture for me, not race.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:33 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,014,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I like being friends with my neighbors. I believe people who are friends with their neighbors are happier people.

BTW, I'm not friends with, nor do I know, the couple a few streets down who called the cops on me Sunday night. Had I known them, there is the chance the cops wouldn't have wasted their time. (Well, it wasn't a total waste of time, since I now have a rapport with those two cops.)
I like your attitude. ^^^

I believe in being cordial with neighbors, but I don't want to get too involved.
When I give folks a inch, they want to take a mile, and I have ended up doing all sorts of things I would rather not do.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:24 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,201,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
as long as i can get along with them and they do not mind being neighborly, then it will not matter what race they are.

Lets be honest here, if people could choose their neighbors, it would be people very similar to themselves. That doesn't imply race, as long as it was known that race could never be a cause for problems/division within the community.

The best approximation for what someone would actually want their neighbors to be like, would be to look at religion. And not just people who show up to church on Sunday, but who are sinners and hypocrites the rest of the week. I'm talking "real religious" people.

These "true-believers", people with strong convictions and beliefs, if they were to pick their neighbors, it would effectively look similar to a commune/convent. Nothing but people within their faith, who share their beliefs and values.

If someone is going to organize a "neighborhood potluck", or any other kind of neighborhood organization. They are looking for similarity and agreement. They don't want people coming who might end up causing problems.

Which is exactly why where you have diversity, you have absolutely no community. People just stay in their homes and keep to themselves. To the extent that they have friends and family, or other interests. They drive to meet those people. Their neighbors are at best a tool, and at worst an annoyance.

I think it is somewhat easy to make "friends" with people of other races/ethnicities/religions/etc. But when you really think "Who is my BEST friend". You'll realize that overwhelmingly, someones best friend is someone who is incredibly similar to themselves, and in almost all respects. Especially friendships which last years(or a lifetime).

That doesn't necessarily imply race, but it almost always does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies