Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 06:44 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,544,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by great discussion View Post
Check out the linked story about the mother who starts to punch her son for participating in the riots in Baltimore.

https://gma.yahoo.com/baltimore-mom-...opstories.html

Video shows Baltimore mom smack masked son over riots - CNN.com

While most of the comments on the ABC news site support her, it is only a matter of time before political correctness comes in strong and the mother is arrested for punching her son. It is only a matter of time before she is arrested!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 06:45 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,544,828 times
And she still recognized him with his ninja gear on!!!

the x-ray mom vision!!

Old 04-29-2015, 06:55 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times
Mother of the Year! She gave that boy the Smackdown! I hope this makes other moms step forward and try to get their sons off the streets. I also hope she finds work soon too.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:03 PM

2,417 posts, read 1,447,520 times
The US are hypocrites no matter how you slice it. The only reason they are cheering this mom is because she is beating up her son who participated in the Baltimore riots. All of uninformed America want to beat these kids down, so knowing they can't do it, they congratulate the mother. Had this been any other circumstance, yes, everyone will be calling for this woman's arrest.

Didn't we just get through with Adrian Peterson and his abuse case? Imagine if this kid's father was the one smacking him upside his head (I imagine this is a single mother). Dude would have been arrested right on the spot. Yet it was funny seeing a black woman beating up a black boy or man, because we love to see the black male emasculated by black women.

Let me say this, the kid definitely shouldn't have thrown rocks at the police. Yet he love his mother enough to respect her wishes and not fight back. That is one highly intelligent kid!

Old 04-29-2015, 07:07 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
It's not the way most of the civilized world treats their children, but you have to consider the situation. She's a single mother with six children, living in a poor neighborhood. She's neither a hero nor an abuser - at least judging by the 30 seconds of video we've all seen.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:15 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
IDK?

But once a kids reaches that age, and is behaving in such a manner........well, probably too late!

Old 04-29-2015, 10:20 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It's not the way most of the civilized world treats their children,
I think there is a "no true Scotsman" fallacy in there, but that is the way most Chinese and Indians treat their kids, and there is most of the civilized world right there.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:52 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,354,699 times
After reading everyone's responses, it looks like my take on it will be very unpopular. I think it's tragic, and she certainly isn't a hero. I commend her for showing disapproval for her son's actions, but verbal and physical aggression is almost 100% the reason the kid turned out that way in the first place. Child abuse and/or neglect is rampant in "the ghetto" (black, white, hispanic, or whoever), and it's a huge factor in why their children become criminals. I could go on about this at length, as I've seen it firsthand and have seen the facts, statistics, and watched speeches on the subject, but I'll just give the quick rundown...

- Hitting doesn't teach lessons, it teaches that violence solves problems. Kids won't learn why they shouldn't do something, and will only stop if the parent is around to hurt them again. Often times they'll even go back to what they were doing shortly after being hit. That isn't teaching. It's often hypocritical too, as parents will hit their child for hitting another child. "*SMACK* "don't hit your brother!" Interesting...

- There is a thing called an ACE score that ranks your level of adverse childhood experiences (physical abuse, verbal abuse, neglect, parent with substance abuse problems, etc.) and there were studies where they went to prisons and had inmates fill these out and virtually all of them had high ACE scores. Obviously having a high score doesn't mean you'll automatically have issues as you become an adult, but it's clearly not a coincidence. Aggressive or neglectful parenting does more harm than people realize.

- Many parents hit their children because that's how they were raised, and then when the child starts acting out, they hit them more, not realizing that the aggressive behavior of the child is a result of their own aggression. When someone tries to tell them that they should explain things to their child, actually teach them, reason with them, etc. they'll say "are you kidding? Reason with a child? Not my kids. They can't be reasoned with and will just run amok if I don't smack them a bit"...that's because you've been teaching them aggression rather than reason. Toddlers begin to develop reasoning skills (I forget what age range exactly, but it's something like 1 or 2) so it isn't true that "you can't reason with a child". Reason > Force

Most people, including myself, grew up in a situation where this was just normal parenting, and there will be a negative emotional reaction to hearing this information. I thought it was wimpy over-sensitive academic garbage at first, but I tried to be objective and give it a chance and the evidence convinced me. The correlation is just too high to act like its a coincidence.

Alright, I'm ready for the angry responses...if anyone took the time to read it.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:38 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
I am being serious - do we know why the mom was hitting her kid? To dissuade him from rioting? Entirely possible. But does anyone know for sure?

Scenario 1: Mom: "I was mad at him because he called me the c-word, and told me to go home and make dinner!"

Scenario 2: Mom: "I decided to beat his ass when he told me he lost his iPhone 6S for the third time. I am not made of money."

Scenario 3: Mom: "i was mad at him because he was just videotaping me with his selfie-stick while I was duking it out with his girlfriend. Have y'all seen the video? It went viral, you know."

Seriously, are we just speculating on her motives or has she given interviews, etc.?

Mick
Two out of the three scenarios you presented, I would still smack him.. Discipline is an act of love and it's time in our society that a whole lot more love in this manner needs to be doled out to our youth. Disrespect, dishonesty and selfishness seems to be common place in our world today. It's time to reign it in.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:04 AM

93 posts, read 77,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
After reading everyone's responses, it looks like my take on it will be very unpopular. I think it's tragic, and she certainly isn't a hero. I commend her for showing disapproval for her son's actions, but verbal and physical aggression is almost 100% the reason the kid turned out that way in the first place. Child abuse and/or neglect is rampant in "the ghetto" (black, white, hispanic, or whoever), and it's a huge factor in why their children become criminals. I could go on about this at length, as I've seen it firsthand and have seen the facts, statistics, and watched speeches on the subject, but I'll just give the quick rundown...

- Hitting doesn't teach lessons, it teaches that violence solves problems. Kids won't learn why they shouldn't do something, and will only stop if the parent is around to hurt them again. Often times they'll even go back to what they were doing shortly after being hit. That isn't teaching. It's often hypocritical too, as parents will hit their child for hitting another child. "*SMACK* "don't hit your brother!" Interesting...

- There is a thing called an ACE score that ranks your level of adverse childhood experiences (physical abuse, verbal abuse, neglect, parent with substance abuse problems, etc.) and there were studies where they went to prisons and had inmates fill these out and virtually all of them had high ACE scores. Obviously having a high score doesn't mean you'll automatically have issues as you become an adult, but it's clearly not a coincidence. Aggressive or neglectful parenting does more harm than people realize.

- Many parents hit their children because that's how they were raised, and then when the child starts acting out, they hit them more, not realizing that the aggressive behavior of the child is a result of their own aggression. When someone tries to tell them that they should explain things to their child, actually teach them, reason with them, etc. they'll say "are you kidding? Reason with a child? Not my kids. They can't be reasoned with and will just run amok if I don't smack them a bit"...that's because you've been teaching them aggression rather than reason. Toddlers begin to develop reasoning skills (I forget what age range exactly, but it's something like 1 or 2) so it isn't true that "you can't reason with a child". Reason > Force

Most people, including myself, grew up in a situation where this was just normal parenting, and there will be a negative emotional reaction to hearing this information. I thought it was wimpy over-sensitive academic garbage at first, but I tried to be objective and give it a chance and the evidence convinced me. The correlation is just too high to act like its a coincidence.

Alright, I'm ready for the angry responses...if anyone took the time to read it.
Thank you for this post. You summed up how I feel and wasn't able to articulate. Seeing that video and the responses to it made me very sad. Violence just begats violence. How do we know that was not the problem in the first place? All she did was teach him that when someone does something he doesn't like, he'll be hailed a hero for hitting them. I don't understand it. If she did that to a random stranger during the protests she would have been arrested. Why is it okay to hit your kids and it is illegal to do the same thing to adults?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies