Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 08:16 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Should the police be above the law?
Of course not; however, I will generally take the word of a cop over the word of a person with a criminal record.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 08:54 AM

1,245 posts, read 923,635 times
No!!

Old 04-29-2015, 12:20 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,323,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubfan View Post
All governments have a monopoly on force. A democratic government is supposed to have that monopoly by the consent of the people. If we are a democratic nation, then we have to accept the government's monopoly on force because we voted them in. If you disagree, you need to either vote against incumbents, or try to overthrow the government. Personally, I don't think I'm up to the task of being a revolutionary.
No one (at least, not yours truly) is speaking of revolution; I'm merely talking about being an engaged citizen in a constitutional republic.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
We have not decided they are above the law. We have gave the police the power to detain people and that's about it.

Yes, they can shoot in self defense but so can everyone. They can hit back if hit but so can anyone.

Obviously this means the government does not have a monopoly on force.
I think what s/he meant was that government has a monopoly on the use of force to enact it's will.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Most of the job of law enforcement is to initiate force. Government agents are the only humans that are believed to have the right to initiate violence, so that's the monopoly on force. It's wrong for citizens to threaten or use force against anyone, but politicians, police, military, etc. are allowed to.

Can you delegate a right to someone that you don't have yourself? If citizens don't have the right to do it, how do they delegate that right to government officials?
We (revocably, we hope) delegate it to agents acting on our behalf to insure public order. The problem starts when those in whom we invest with such authority presume to tell us how we're going to be policed, as opposed to us telling them what we expect of them (and what we will not tolerate.) I'm not saying we've gotten there yet, but liberty is never lost but gradually.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:46 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Of course not; however, I will generally take the word of a cop over the word of a person with a criminal record.
Generally isn't the problem. The problem is when the cop is wrong and nothing is done about it.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
I think what s/he meant was that government has a monopoly on the use of force to enact it's will.
I argued that over and over. They don't.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Generally isn't the problem. The problem is when the cop is wrong and nothing is done about it.
Cops answer to politicians and the politicians are supposed to answer to us.

Do you think the voters in Baltimore will vote out the mayor who is the boss of the chief of police who is the boss of those cops?

Old 04-29-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Cops answer to politicians and the politicians are supposed to answer to us.
The cops aren't supposed to answer to politicians.

Quote:
Do you think the voters in Baltimore will vote out the mayor who is the boss of the chief of police who is the boss of those cops?
No. But thanks for being the first person to take the problem and move it a little further along. The problem is the police rarely being held accountable for their wrong actions but the reason they are rarely held accountable is our fault for not putting people in place that will see that they are.

That makes for a difficult job and one that IMO most politicians are too lazy to take on. Do I see politicians taking the actions in Baltimore that need done? (it needs done everywhere). No, I do not and the mayor will likely get re-elected. So while I have defended those upset and riot, once we get past that, we have to demand change and unless the people are willing to put their problems ahead of party, they will continue to get their heads bashed in.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
The cops aren't supposed to answer to politicians.

No. But thanks for being the first person to take the problem and move it a little further along. The problem is the police rarely being held accountable for their wrong actions but the reason they are rarely held accountable is our fault for not putting people in place that will see that they are.

That makes for a difficult job and one that IMO most politicians are too lazy to take on. Do I see politicians taking the actions in Baltimore that need done? (it needs done everywhere). No, I do not and the mayor will likely get re-elected. So while I have defended those upset and riot, once we get past that, we have to demand change and unless the people are willing to put their problems ahead of party, they will continue to get their heads bashed in.
In the vast majority of cities, it works just like the Houston Police Department.

The HPD has a chief of police who is appointed by the Mayor Of Houston and confirmed by Houston City Council. The chief reports to the mayor, and the chief is essentially the top boss for all of HPD's officers.

If the top cop in Houston reports to the mayor, doesn't that mean the cops ultimately answer to the mayor, a politician?

How does it work in your city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies