Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2015, 02:00 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I asked what it could be since you agree it shouldn't be used as a word for black and poor as you stated. I asked to see if there was some other problem you had with the thread because you seemed to agree with it.
I stated my reasoning was the "fear" that people would start using it that way in response to the thread. Agreeing with the poster that we should be careful to not use it that way. To be frank, I'm not sure why you responded to my post, that's why I asked what the problem was. If I knew I wouldn't have asked.
I believe it was clearly pointed out by PedroMartinez.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 02:08 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
This whole thread is silly. It is a classic example of ignorant people being offended by there own ignorance, and blaming others for that failing.

Here is a test of you vocabulary and reading comprehension skills:

My son in law is white, he's also a cop, he's also a thug.

Did I:

a) use a "code" word to pejoratively call him black?
b) use a "code" word to pejoratively call all cops black?
c) label all cops thugs?
d) a, b, and c are all true statements.
e) I described my son in law, and identified a character flaw he has, without any inference or reference to other people or other groups.

If you guessed e, you're a winner! If you guessed anything else, you are both ignorant and seeking to be offended!
If you guessed "e", then you're not really that much of a winner considering (use C-D Current Events and PoC forums as a source) some people like to make sweeping generalizations about that "thug's" group of people. They let their actions frame a mindset of that entire group, or at least the majority of it.

Therefore, the actions of one or a percentage "thug(s)" becomes an indictment of the majority or even all of the group (racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, political, etc.) the "thug" is apart of.

Case in point: Richard Sherman

It's been said before that the term "thug" is used to describe someone who commits a violent act against someone. Well, how is this "thug" behavior, if that is the true, universal definition? Sherman was torn apart on social media and labeled a thug, despite never being arrested and graduating from a top university with a 3.9 GPA. So why the thug label?

I see where you're coming from, not that I disagree, but you also have to consider why the OP made this thread in the first place.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:11 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
in the last 6 months i've been noticing the term being used in media and social media as a general term for black people.
No, it is used as a term for people who choose to engage in thuggish behavior. The race of those people is irrelevant, their actions are what makes the label applicable.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:15 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Ahh I see what you are saying now. You should be more clear as to what you mean instead of beating around the bush and posting cartoons.

The point isn't whether I give a damn or not. The point is there should be no expectation on those who take insult, that because they are insulted, the other party now bears burden to make change. This is what I was responding to.

As much as one wishes it, they can't control the actions of others. They can only control their reactions to what others do. It's a simple fact but one that many have much difficultly with understanding and accepting.
I wasn't beating around the bush, I made it pretty clear in the original post you quoted, and the "cartoon" was in response to a completely separate post.

Yes, I know that you cannot control the actions and words of others, but I was simply pointing out those actions or words done or spoken can have enough repercussions to make one "give a damn". That is also a simple fact that many have difficultly understanding and accepting.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:22 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post

Yes, I know that you cannot control the actions and words of others, but I was simply pointing out those actions or words done or spoken can That is also a simple fact that many have difficultly understanding and accepting.
You speak the obvious. It doesn't have any bearing on what I said. The simple act of walking down the street can have enough repercussions to make one "give a damn". The key word here is can. Hence I will keep on walking.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:25 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
This the latest PC Liberal made up slur. I will continue to call a thug, a thug.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:42 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,277 times
Tupac Shakur is largely responsible for the explosion of the use of the word thug to describe young black males involved in gangs, or the drug trade. He wore it like a badge of honor, and his fans soon followed.

Old 05-06-2015, 03:12 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
This the latest PC Liberal made up slur. I will continue to call a thug, a thug.

I think this calls for a "biggest thug" contest.

I'll start.

Old 05-06-2015, 03:22 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Why? It's just a description.

What do you think of the following words:

Criminal

Culprit

Miscreant

Offender

Delinquent

Are there issues with those words as well?
I would only have the issue if I wasn't a:
Criminal

Culprit

Miscreant

Offender

Delinquent

and for good measure, Thug

Slander sucks. I don't enjoy it, do you?

Old 05-06-2015, 03:25 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Geezus XXX, for the 10th time, it isn't about calling a thug a thug. It's about calling a black person a thug when they haven't done anything criminal, but they are just black.

What part of this is hard to understand? What is it I'm missing here? Please, fill me in......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies