Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 02:02 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,913,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Except for all the successful ones.....obviously.
I guess it's all in ones definition of success. Frankly, I can't think of a major US city that is run by Democrats that is successful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 03:07 AM

684 posts, read 1,000,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
The big turning point for Detroit wasn't the fall of the automobile industry in that city it was the riots in the 60s. From that point on Detroit went downhill until it is the way it is today and has been for a long time now. Baltimore is on the same road as Detroit. These riots are the turning point that is going to put Baltimore at the same level as Detroit. Some may argue that the inner harbor mall and that area might save things but it would take more than that. True the inner harbor might remain an o.k. spot in the midst of a Detroit like city but that remains to be seen. Its over for Baltimore.
Well the violence on Saturday was nothing like the 60s which were experienced in a lot of major cities across the country including Baltimore. So if this little breakout can do more hurt than it did in the 60s I would be surprised. You have got to realize the city as a whole is a lot bigger than what you seen on television where most residents were home and praying for officers and residents alike. This is definitely a short term stain but I'm sure momentum will pick back up in development, tourism, and residents.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:10 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,045,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I guess it's all in ones definition of success. Frankly, I can't think of a major US city that is run by Democrats that is successful.
Well then you must not get out much or know much about American cities. Tell us, which major US cities do you think is run successfully?

Old 04-30-2015, 08:17 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,522,791 times
Is there any black dominated city that is not a basket case? That's a real question, I don't know any but there may be some.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:19 AM

1,438 posts, read 774,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
New York City, Boston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Jose, Seattle, Portland, Phoenix, Tucson, Denver, Las Vegas, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, El Paso, Kansas City, Chicago, Minneapolis, Des Moines, Columbus, Cincinatti, Washington D.C., Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Raleigh, Atlanta, Tampa, St. Petersburg, Jacksonville, Orlando, Nashville, Louisville, Wichita, Portland (Maine), Hartford.

Is that enough for you?

Old 04-30-2015, 08:19 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,359,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
The big turning point for Detroit wasn't the fall of the automobile industry in that city it was the riots in the 60s. From that point on Detroit went downhill until it is the way it is today and has been for a long time now. Baltimore is on the same road as Detroit. These riots are the turning point that is going to put Baltimore at the same level as Detroit. Some may argue that the inner harbor mall and that area might save things but it would take more than that. True the inner harbor might remain an o.k. spot in the midst of a Detroit like city but that remains to be seen. Its over for Baltimore.
Detroit fell because the cotton gin was perfected in the 1940s. Lots of field hands lost their jobs and to the North they came. The rest as they say is history.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:22 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,359,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
New York City, Boston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Jose, Seattle, Portland, Phoenix, Tucson, Denver, Las Vegas, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, El Paso, Kansas City, Chicago, Minneapolis, Des Moines, Columbus, Cincinatti, Washington D.C., Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Raleigh, Atlanta, Tampa, St. Petersburg, Jacksonville, Orlando, Nashville, Louisville, Wichita, Portland (Maine), Hartford.

Is that enough for you?
Yeah cons mess up with that argument. Plenty of nice livable cities that have been run by Democrats for decades.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:33 AM

29,961 posts, read 18,789,875 times
I do think the non criminal element, both black and white, will start abandoning Baltimore even faster after this idiocy. So new Detroit it will become.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:22 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,045,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I do think the non criminal element, both black and white, will start abandoning Baltimore even faster after this idiocy. So new Detroit it will become.
That is too funny, and not based on anything involving reality, but as long as 24hr "news" keeps you hooked on their channel, they will tell you anything they think you want to hear. Baltimore will weather this and move on from it.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:26 AM

668 posts, read 984,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Except for all the successful ones.....obviously.

Oregon has a lot of republicans like me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies