Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 08:09 AM

409 posts, read 1,237,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Terrorists have the same human rights as anyone. Pursue, apprehend, and punish them, yes, but there is absolutely no call to abuse their human rights in doing so. If we resort to torture and worse, then we are no better than they are.
EXACTLY the thinking that lends itself to loosing elections. As soon as Democrats stop treating 'the poor terrorists' with kid gloves they might win an election. If any Democrat would come out an denounce or abolish the ACLU I would vote for him tomorrow.

The terrorists don't play by any rules, and they laugh our rules and use them against us. I say if you capture a terrorist, and think he has knowledge of an upcoming attack, and think you can get the information from him by clipping electrodes to his testies and pumping 110 volts to them, and that may help you stop INNOCENT lives from being lost, I say - TURN UP THE VOLTAGE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2006, 01:19 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyandMarried View Post
EXACTLY the thinking that lends itself to loosing elections.
You mean like all those Congressional seats they just ... "lost"?

Quote:
As soon as Democrats stop treating 'the poor terrorists' with kid gloves they might win an election.
How is safeguarding someone's basic human rights "kid gloves?"

Quote:
The terrorists don't play by any rules, and they laugh our rules and use them against us. I say if you capture a terrorist, and think he has knowledge of an upcoming attack, and think you can get the information from him by clipping electrodes to his testies and pumping 110 volts to them, and that may help you stop INNOCENT lives from being lost, I say - TURN UP THE VOLTAGE!
The fact that we don't do that proves that we are better than they are. This is the United States of America, not Soviet Russia or Red China. We are better than that, and we must stay better than that, or our Republic is doomed.

Reminds me of something that General MacArthur once said: "I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within."

If the views being espoused by many in this discussion ever become legal and common practice, then the land of liberty of, by, and for the people is over. We will have become the police state that our founders so warned against.

Old 12-22-2006, 06:07 PM

421 posts, read 348,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
You mean like all those Congressional seats they just ... "lost"?

How is safeguarding someone's basic human rights "kid gloves?"

The fact that we don't do that proves that we are better than they are. This is the United States of America, not Soviet Russia or Red China. We are better than that, and we must stay better than that, or our Republic is doomed.

Reminds me of something that General MacArthur once said: "I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within."

If the views being espoused by many in this discussion ever become legal and common practice, then the land of liberty of, by, and for the people is over. We will have become the police state that our founders so warned against.

Playing that we are no better than them game is not going to work with these people.

Old 12-22-2006, 08:00 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweattea View Post
Playing that we are no better than them game is not going to work with these people.
Read again what I wrote. We are better than them. That's the point. Treating human beings like animals only brings us down to their level.

Old 12-22-2006, 08:18 PM

5 posts, read 8,842 times
I didnt realize there were so many ignorant people left with President Bush pushing for "No kids left behind".... obviously someone should've started this along time ago, so you wouldnt be in the state your in now....

Old 12-22-2006, 08:20 PM

5 posts, read 8,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noljos View Post
Tomorrow you're all going to wake up in a brave new world. A world where the Constitution gets trampled by an army of terrorist clones, created in a stem-cell research lab run by homosexual doctors who sterilize their instruments over burning american flags. Thanks for nothing.
I didnt realize there were so many ignorant people left with President Bush pushing for "No kids left behind".... obviously someone should've started this along time ago, so you wouldnt be in the state your in now....

Old 12-23-2006, 12:34 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenyata View Post
Don't get carried away Junior. Try and read the posts I left after the one you just quoted.

Old 12-23-2006, 07:39 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Leave gay people OUT of this scenario! I wish those of you who envision us all as being some sort of limp-wristed, tiara-wearing, lisp-using, frail, AIDS-speading, pedophilic interior decorators who scream "fabulous" and love purple would take a good look around your own communities to see just who truly is gay. You may just be surprised.

For example, I work at Lowe's where I spend nine hours per day lifting, lifting, and lifting some more! I enjoy hockey, baseball, and golf. I run, hike, and am a budding car fanatic. What's the difference between myself and a typical "straight" guy (besides the sexual attraction?)---I still have a better fashion taste while I sleep than any of you can ever hope to achieve on your wedding days! LOL!

By the way, Scranton is a relatively-Conservative city dominated by the Roman Catholic influence. Nevertheless, our closeted GLBT community here is quite large; just check out the local gay-oriented nightclub on any Saturday night and you may just be surprised by the owners of some of the vehicles in the parking lot. As such, there's truly no way to "tell" if someone is gay or not by looking at them. Heck, even my own "Gaydar" malfunctions, as I had a deep crush on a guy in high school that I thought was bisexual who turned out to be straight, and I found out that a classmate who I thought was straight was actually gay and dating a guy from my church who I also thought was straight!

As such, if Liberal=Evil in many of your eyes, then why include gays in that equation? Some of your best friends could be closeted GLBT folks who are just too "afraid" to stop living a lie (as I was for years until I came out a couple of years ago in high school). Heck, I even work with a bunch of co-workers who still have no idea that I'm gay after nearly two years, as they continually ask me to help them check out the "hot racks" on some of our customers (I guess comments like THAT make straight people the moral compasses of America, does it not?)

Old 12-23-2006, 07:52 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,170,027 times
Quote:
Leave gay people OUT of this scenario! I wish those of you who envision us all as being some sort of limp-wristed, tiara-wearing, lisp-using, frail, AIDS-speading, pedophilic interior decorators who scream "fabulous" and love purple would take a good look around your own communities to see just who truly is gay. You may just be surprised.
You mean all gays aren't like those guys on "America's Next Top Model"?!!!!! OMyGawd!!!!! You mean you all aren't like Miss Jay?!!!!

Seriously, you know something I would like to understand? Why is it that the nicest straightest gay men always seem to go for the gay men who are over the top? I know one who is the nicest sweetest guy you could meet. His most recent mate is a 50+ year old guy with tight plantinum blond curls who wears things like pink spandex shorts that show is navel and his butt cheeks. He's FLAMING -- and in a really HOT way! But I have to ask: Why? The other guy is pretty much just a normal guy. Why would he pick someone so over the top?! Curious what you think...

Old 12-23-2006, 07:53 PM

553 posts, read 2,332,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noljos View Post
Tomorrow you're all going to wake up in a brave new world. A world where the Constitution gets trampled by an army of terrorist clones, created in a stem-cell research lab run by homosexual doctors who sterilize their instruments over burning american flags. Thanks for nothing.
My stomach hurts from laughing so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies