Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 07:02 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,103,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
It seems to me the police consider everyone who isn't an active duty cop to be the "enemy." I'm generally very pro police, but I always notice a separation, like the rest of us are not quite acceptable and need watching.

In cities like Baltimore it seems the common person sees the police as an occupying force. As the jack booted storm trooping enemy.

Now we see para-military forces and vehicles on our streets time and again, as people become more and more disaffected and the gap between the populace and police, and authority increases.

Many, if not most people fear the police. Many police are seen as nothing but highway robbers with a license to steal money from people for minor traffic infractions. Go a few miles too fast it costs you hundreds of dollars. Park ten minutes too long and it costs you more than a nice dinner out with the family - all to fill the pockets of government. Don't pay and the government sends police henchmen to enforce and extract their money or incarceraste you.

And when a law abiding person NEEDS the police they are nowhere to be found or arrive too late to help. Or 911 doesn't answer, or they are told by ignorant leaders to "stand down" and fail to protect those they are sworn to protect. LA, Ferguson, Baltimore. In Las Vegas the police no longer even respond to traffic accidents! It's a wonder they show up for homicides, unless they caused it.

Then the police say, "well it isn't our job to protect individuals, our job is to apprehend criminals." And the courts uphold that idiocy. So people are left to fend for themselves. But god forbid a citizen defend themselves, then the police see THEM as the criminal not the victim.

Where does it end and how do we, the law abiding public, get the rank and file cops to understand we are not their enemy?

The bad ones are. It's the bad 10% that make it harder for the good 90% to do the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 07:14 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,035,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Mmh, and I'm sure you would have been a good little citizen in Nazi Germany.
No, I just have concern for me, my family and my neighbors. If someone doesn't belong there, I want to know why they're there.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:17 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,035,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Wow, that went RIGHT over your head.

If there is a potential for a victim, that is the same as there being a victim-so no drunk driving should not be legal.

Robbing a bank requires force, even if nobody is hurt-so no that is not a non-violent crime and of course there are victims.

I am talking about legislating morality and trying to save people from themselves-it is an impossible task and causes infinitely more harm than good.
If you think being a drug dealer is a victimless crime, you need to spend some time on the other side of the tracks......

Do you know how many children in Chicago get killed every year because they're caught in gang cross fire? Do you know what those gangs are shooting at eachother for? Drug turf! Who gets to sell the drugs on what corner.

But you're right, drug dealing is a victimless crime....

Old 04-30-2015, 07:21 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,923,705 times
Umm, there would be no profit motive and no demand for black market drugs if drugs were legalized.

So the turf wars are actually caused by the prohibition of drugs just as organized crime arose from outlawing alcohol.

I thought this was just common knowledge now?

Old 04-30-2015, 07:23 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,080,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
If you think being a drug dealer is a victimless crime, you need to spend some time on the other side of the tracks......

Do you know how many children in Chicago get killed every year because they're caught in gang cross fire? Do you know what those gangs are shooting at eachother for? Drug turf! Who gets to sell the drugs on what corner.

What he's getting at is if you legalized drugs, there would be a lot less gang based drug dealing and therefore less drug related gang violence.

More laws don't equal less criminals.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:28 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,284,875 times
To understand this issue you must first understand the mind of the bureaucrat, because that is basically what every unelected government employee is. This article explains https://encrypted.google.com/url?sa=...m2gDo4dSWUTJtQ

The bureaucrat is attracted to the power that their position gives them over the lives of others. The bureaucrat craves the ability to make the citizen grovel to get their favors or approvals. They have no compassion for the people they "serve" and act solely to feed their own warped egos.
Now add a gun, and the ability to use it to this mix, and you have a psychopaths version of heaven.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:35 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,980,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post

Prohibition equals the creation of a black market, which equals the creation of more criminals, and the involvement of children and innocent people. Think about it, in a drug deal gone bad, where there is a shoot out, who is going to call the cops? Secondly, in the case of say alcohol or tobacco, there are age restrictions which makes it harder for kids to get a hold of it. Do they still get those substances? Sure. But they have to jump through more hoops to do so! In the case of drugs, it's much easier for kids to get a hold of them, because dealers don't ID! Don't get me wrong, aside from cannabis, I can't stand drugs, and have no use for them! I personally think it takes a special kind of stupid to even want to try heroin, cocaine, meth, ectasy...ect... but I don't think that it should be illegal for an adult to do so!

Old 04-30-2015, 07:52 AM

30,350 posts, read 19,122,995 times
Police are public servants and have to abide by the same laws we do when they go beyond their charter. I'm all for penalizing cops when they do wrong but do we know if any wrong was committed in the FG case?

Old 04-30-2015, 08:34 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,543,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
It seems to me the police consider everyone who isn't an active duty cop to be the "enemy." I'm generally very pro police, but I always notice a separation, like the rest of us are not quite acceptable and need watching.

In cities like Baltimore it seems the common person sees the police as an occupying force. As the jack booted storm trooping enemy.

Now we see para-military forces and vehicles on our streets time and again, as people become more and more disaffected and the gap between the populace and police, and authority increases.

Many, if not most people fear the police. Many police are seen as nothing but highway robbers with a license to steal money from people for minor traffic infractions. Go a few miles too fast it costs you hundreds of dollars. Park ten minutes too long and it costs you more than a nice dinner out with the family - all to fill the pockets of government. Don't pay and the government sends police henchmen to enforce and extract their money or incarceraste you.

And when a law abiding person NEEDS the police they are nowhere to be found or arrive too late to help. Or 911 doesn't answer, or they are told by ignorant leaders to "stand down" and fail to protect those they are sworn to protect. LA, Ferguson, Baltimore. In Las Vegas the police no longer even respond to traffic accidents! It's a wonder they show up for homicides, unless they caused it.

Then the police say, "well it isn't our job to protect individuals, our job is to apprehend criminals." And the courts uphold that idiocy. So people are left to fend for themselves. But god forbid a citizen defend themselves, then the police see THEM as the criminal not the victim.

Where does it end and how do we, the law abiding public, get the rank and file cops to understand we are not their enemy?
Nope. I was stopped today because of a tail-light out. Officer ran the license and came back and said to get it fixed. No fuss. I don't believe I was the enemy.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:54 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,440,989 times
Ever hear desertdetroiter talk about his isolationist stance? No troops anywhere, especially in foreign countries. His whole premise is why should he worry about those people over there, since they have never done anything to him?

Cops are Islam.

In other words, the Cops are not my enemy, they've never done anything bad to me or anyone I know so they're not the enemy.

Cops being the enemy is a you problem. Not mine, yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies