Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2015, 08:56 PM

274 posts, read 296,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Thank you for bringing some common sense in a huge sea of ignorance.

Most people are afraid to deal with the ugly truth of this country. America was built on a racist oppressive system. There would be no America if it wasn't for the free labor of African slaves. Blacks helping built this country and paved the way for immigrant groups to come here due to the vastly growing American economy. Yes, Italians and Irish immigrants were discriminated against but it was never as bad as what Blacks had to endure and when their descendants assimilated and became fully part of the beneficiary group, they joined the other Whites in keeping the systemic oppression going.
Oh dude shut up about slavery already. Newsflash, do you know what african slaves were in Africa before they came to America? SLAVES!!! With African owners. African slave woners sold them to European slabe owners. Oh but yeah, that doesn't fit your agenda.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:56 PM

7,473 posts, read 3,999,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I am not going to get into a superficial debate with you. I am tired of that BS. I am about the bottom line now. The bottom line is this. When you walk in the shoes of black people, you end up standing where black people are standing. If you are not standing where black people are standing, then you have not walked in the shoes of black people.....PERIOD.

Don't talk to me about black people complaining.....because if any other of those MANY other groups in America (that you feel I should note) has walked in our shoes.....then they would be complaining no more or no less than black people.
Gosh dern it. now i'm depressed because i'm not black.Means I cain't talk bout em.......

Of course on the other hand, Don't ever talk to me about being in a war in vietnam or any other things I have done in my life that have been difficult and you have not "walked in my shoes"

Old 04-30-2015, 08:57 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,676,336 times
Quote:

Most people are afraid to deal with the ugly truth of this country. America was built on a racist oppressive system. There would be no America if it wasn't for the free labor of African slaves. Blacks helping built this country and paved the way for immigrant groups to come here due to the vastly growing American economy. Yes, Italians and Irish immigrants were discriminated against but it was never as bad as what Blacks had to endure and when their descendants assimilated and became fully part of the beneficiary group, they joined the other Whites in keeping the systemic oppression going.
Yes.....but ultimately, deep down inside many white people feel that slavery, Jim crow and the like, no matter how terrible, SAVED BLACK PEOPLE FROM THE FATE OF HAVING TO LIVE IN AFRICA. They feel that we should not be complaining, despite our history in this country, because our lives are now better than the lives of blacks in Africa. However, they ignore what whites have done to Africa during colonization and NOW. They also ignore that it was their ancestors who WERE FLEEING where they came from, due to the conditions there. It was their all white world that was so messed up that many had to escape to the new world...one made possible by slavery.

As I noted before...blacks oppressing blacks produces not net gain for blacks. Whites oppression whites produces no net gain for whites (which is why oppressed whites fled Europe for the new world). But whites oppressing blacks, and others, produced a net gain for whites and a net loss for those others that they oppressed.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 04-30-2015 at 09:20 PM..

Old 04-30-2015, 08:57 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,849,164 times
Quote:

Actually, after Sherman's march through the South the South was pretty decimated. Now, 150 years after the Civil War, the Souith still lags behind the North economically. The South lagged behind the North even before the Civil War. The Civil War was won in the factories, not the battlefield. Slave labor benefits the few at the expense of the many, including many who are not slaves but have to compete with slave labor. America is worse off today due to our past that included slavery and Jim Crow.

The fact is oppressing any group causes harm to a society.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:59 PM

8,631 posts, read 12,958,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTiberiusx View Post
Philly, I really feel sorry for your ignorance. You chose a poor example to relate to the current situation in this country. One was a war for independence where we were forcing people out so we could govern ourselves and create new laws.
I guess you forget that Blacks were trying to get free and trying to change the laws throughout the history of this country?

Quote:
These protests will change nothing because ultiamtely what you want changed is, for people to change their negative thoughts and stereotypes that hood folks have created. No law can change how people feel. What you need to do is clean house and fix your lwn community. Call out all those who make black folks look bad and carry in the stereotypes. Encourage people to educate themselves and move up in the world through hard work? Many AAs do this every single day. But only the hood rats get the attention because they cause trouble, sadly.
The same old "pick yourself up by your boots straps argument" which has gotten us nowhere.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:01 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,700,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
Excellent post.

The black people I've known have come from the former.

Problem is that those fitting the latter description are more visible in the media, which colors people's perceptions.

Thus, these riots are not helping at all.
The media??? Ok, I'll listen to you. If you and I can agree that the media hurts society then maybe we can do something about it? Of course there's plenty of blame to go around as well. We've all been sold a bunch of bs by our government and politicians. Lawyers, cops, judges, Obama, and the media don't help much either.
Lets compare successful blacks vs dysfunctional blacks: What are some of the traits?

1. Drugs: How many successful blacks are everyday drug users?
2. Gangs: Is there such a thing as a "successful" gang member?
3. Crime: Like pringles, once you're popped you can't stop
4. education: we need at least a hs diploma
5. family life: I don't have the stats, but single parents vs both parents is probably a huge factor
Now, the individual (black) boy can't control this one. But... he can stop the cycle once he becomes an adult.

I know there are other factors, but these are some that come to mind. Notice that almost all of these things can be avoided by choice, hard work & dedication.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:03 PM

274 posts, read 296,983 times
Quote:
I guess you forget that Blacks were trying to get free and trying to change the laws throughout the history of this country?

The same old "pick yourself up by your boots straps argument" which has gotten us nowhere.
Actually it has gotten you somewhere. As I have said, millions of AAs hold jobs every single day.

You have seriously been deluded man. You definitly hangout with negative people who have put this into your head.

I'm not even mad at you. I am homestly sad because perception is reality, and you have a negative perception in your head of what the world is. Only you can change that.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:06 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,690,527 times
Its a catch 22, its a cyclical effect. Blacks are "rioting" because they feel persecuted against, so what they essentially are asking is they want to be treated like everyone else without having to work really hard for that privilege. In other words, they feel that being treated "like everyone else" is a right, not a privilege.

If they want equal treatment, they have to earn it, they need to pull up their pants, hit the books and stop breaking the law. Now obviously, we all know that there are plenty of blacks who are hard working, upstanding and honest, and its unfortunate that they get lumped in with the thugs and lawbreakers and idiots, but the crooks and dummies are the ones who are making it bad for people who want to work hard and succeed.

As long as crime statistics show what they show, nothing is going to change. When you are stereotyped as a "Race of criminals" i'm not sure committing more crimes (riots) is going to change people's minds, its just proving that they were originally right to think that way about you in the first place.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:06 PM

7,473 posts, read 3,999,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
The media??? Ok, I'll listen to you. If you and I can agree that the media hurts society then maybe we can do something about it? Of course there's plenty of blame to go around as well. We've all been sold a bunch of bs by our government and politicians. Lawyers, cops, judges, Obama, and the media don't help much either.
Lets compare successful blacks vs dysfunctional blacks: What are some of the traits?

1. Drugs: How many successful blacks are everyday drug users?
2. Gangs: Is there such a thing as a "successful" gang member?
3. Crime: Like pringles, once you're popped you can't stop
4. education: we need at least a hs diploma
5. family life: I don't have the stats, but single parents vs both parents is probably a huge factor
Now, the individual (black) boy can't control this one. But... he can stop the cycle once he becomes an adult.

I know there are other factors, but these are some that come to mind. Notice that almost all of these things can be avoided by choice, hard work & dedication.
Colin Powell comes to mind...........He is one of the people I respect very much......and that list is NOT very long.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:09 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,676,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTiberiusx View Post
Actually it has gotten you somewhere. As I have said, millions of AAs hold jobs every single day.

You have seriously been deluded man. You definitly hangout with negative people who have put this into your head.

I'm not even mad at you. I am homestly sad because perception is reality, and you have a negative perception in your head of what the world is. Only you can change that.
What I am trying to figure out is what your position is? Your focus is on the messenger and not the message....why? As I said, I believe in the equality of human kind, when it comes to "races". I firmly believe that if one group simply walks in the shoes of another, that they will end up where the other group is standing. I doubt that you believe this, because inherent in your criticism of blacks is the assumption of the superiority of others. Blacks do not complain. In other words, that is not a genetic trait. It is a trait of group exposed to a certain condition and regardless, any race exposed to that condition would react the same way. Thus, the attack should not be on a race, but rather, the condition that the race is reacting to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.