Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 03:36 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times

Advertisements

I have never seen the sense it taking some; especially something that control the brain thru chemical actions unless medically researched and need as a better than not choice. Being a boomer I saw results on many in my generation on their lifes even dependence unneeded on pot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 04:01 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Other than pot, I don't think any other drugs should be legalized. The others you mention absolutely destroy people, cause child abuse, crime, higher cost to police departments, etc.
So why stop at pot?

If we are to accept the premise that we each have an individual Right to ingest and consume whatever we want in to our own bodies, and that society as a whole has no Right to control and regulate these substances, than there's no intellectually honest justification for keeping drugs like meth, heroin, and cocain illegal.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:12 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Other than pot, I don't think any other drugs should be legalized. The others you mention absolutely destroy people, cause child abuse, crime, higher cost to police departments, etc.
All drug abuse destroys people. And locking them up doesn't fix that.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
That's a nice theory but it doesn't work that way. Society does NOT get to vote for what they want to be legal and illegal.
LOL, since when?

Sorry, but mankind has not operated in the way you suggest since the first cave men came together as a group and decided it wasn't a good idea to let each other defecate in the same area they kept their food.

Mankind needs law and order to survive. Always has, always will. If not for the solid foundation that law and order provides ( like deciding what's legal and what isn't ) we'd still be in those caves.

Quote:
Do you realize how silly your post is?
Using your logic; By allowing people to drive a car which kills thousands
every year, the government is not doing its constitutionally mandated duty.
The difference is that being able to own a vehicle and drive has huge benefits to society. What benefits are there to allowing the recreational sale and use of drugs?

It's all about weighing cost vs. benefit, and thus far no one has been able to tell me even one benefit to government sanctioned recreational drug use.
Quote:
And BTW, there is no evidence that marijuana use increases crime
Well that's another problem. There isn't a very large body of empirical evidence showing exactly what a drug addled society would look like and what the effects would be.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
All drug abuse destroys people. And locking them up doesn't fix that.
And making it even easier to abuse these drugs and making their use even more socially acceptable and desirable doesn't fix the problem either.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:32 PM

463 posts, read 320,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
And making it even easier to abuse these drugs and making their use even more socially acceptable and desirable doesn't fix the problem either.
Do you have an answer then? Your narrow viewpoint notwithstanding, I can assure you that the war on drugs is causing much, much more harm than it is preventing.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:35 PM

I want to be clear about my position here...... I do agree that the argument that we each have a Right to ingest what we want in to our own bodies has some merit.

But that doesn't mean that society doesn't have a right and an obligation to control and regulate these substances. WE have a Right to determine and shape the kind of world we want to live in.

I would fully support a law that said you could grow marijuana for your own personal use. What I don't support, is commercial drug proliferation. I don't support drug normalization and glamorization in our culture. I don't think it should be as easy to get ahold of drugs as it is to get ahold of a loaf of bread, let alone being able to buy them in the same place. I don't think it wise to create an environment where it's possible to create a business who's model depends and relies upon it's ability to exploit and prey upon the human weakness of addiction.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaian View Post
Do you have an answer then? Your narrow viewpoint notwithstanding, I can assure you that the war on drugs is causing much, much more harm than it is preventing.
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Indeed it is possible to get a joint fairly easily right now, but I don't think the answer is it to make it even easier. Giving a drug legal status only serves to proliferate it even farther and normalize it's use, which will inevitably lead to more people willing to try it and then continue using it.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:04 PM

463 posts, read 320,954 times
Quote:
But that doesn't mean that society doesn't have a right and an obligation to control and regulate these substances.
Well, at least you're right about that. What we disagree on, it appears, is the type of regulation.

We have laws that control and regulates alcohol. Guess what?

A) We don't have alcohol wars south of the border.
B) We don't have alcohol available inside our schools.
C) We don't have otherwise law abiding productive citizens having their lives and families torn apart, then thrown into prisons at a rate that we have to keep building new ones.

We also have laws that control cannabis. Because those laws follow a failed policy of prohibition, instead of the much more sane approach that we have taken with alcohol, we have the following:

A) Tragic drug wars south of the border.
B) Cannabis readily available in our schools.
C) Massive numbers of for-profit prisons.
D) Law enforcement agencies and officers that are at war with the public.
E) An insane amount of money wasted fighting a war that makes no sense.

The list goes on, but I believe I have made my point.

Quote:
WE have a Right to determine and shape the kind of world we want to live in.
Yep. I prefer the kind of world I described in the first scenario.

Quote:
I don't think it should be as easy to get ahold of drugs as it is to get ahold of a loaf of bread, let alone being able to buy them in the same place.
That is NOT what is happening. As I have already pointed out, prohibition makes it MUCH easier to get ahold of! Proper control and regulation is a much more logical and sane approach.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:16 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
LOL, since when?
With very few exceptions, mankind has never voted for what we can eat, drink or smoke. We vote for politicians who make those decisions for us.

Quote:
Sorry, but mankind has not operated in the way you suggest since the first cave men came together as a group and decided it wasn't a good idea to let each other defecate in the same area they kept their food.
What way did I suggest? Defecating in public? Your post is a joke.

Quote:
Mankind needs law and order to survive. Always has, always will. If not for the solid foundation that law and order provides ( like deciding what's legal and what isn't ) we'd still be in those caves.
I agree we need law and order to protect the citizens. But we don't need a nanny state telling us what to eat, drink or smoke or what we can spend our money on or who we can have sex with.

Quote:
The difference is that being able to own a vehicle and drive has huge benefits to society. What benefits are there to allowing the recreational sale and use of drugs?
Lots of benefits including healing and relaxation. Are you aware that the #1 killer in the USA is heart disease and the #1 cause of heart disease is stress? So relieving stress is a very huge benefit to society.

Quote:
It's all about weighing cost vs. benefit, and thus far no one has been able to tell me even one benefit to government sanctioned recreational drug use.
See above.

Quote:
Well that's another problem. There isn't a very large body of empirical evidence showing exactly what a drug addled society would look like and what the effects would be.
Who wants a "drug addled society"? Not me. We already have way too much drug use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies